Fish Consumption: Some Safety Issues

Welcome to The Book, Cook, and Crafts, the place where lovers of cooking can share cool recipes, get advice on cooking techniques and tips, recommend great cooking books, and chat about food. Also, members can discuss crafty things here.
Innocent chinenye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-innocent-chinenye.html
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David

Fish Consumption: Some Safety Issues

Post by Innocent chinenye »

Fish consumption is heart-healthy and provides an excellent source of protein. But there are certain associated risks. One of these is the fact that fish may contain mercury, which is a well-known toxin. When consumed in excess, mercury can cause damage to brain and nervous system causing prickly sensations with various additional problems with fine muscular coordination, speech, sleep, and walking. At highest risk are pregnant women and young children.

Unfortunately, many fish species do contain mercury, which is consumed from plants and tiny animals.
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David
EllieA
Currently Reading: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elliea.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by EllieA »

I think fish is an amazing, delicious, healthy food, but figuring out what to buy can be a real headache.

I feel like there are a lot of resources available to learn what fish/ how much to eat to curb mercury amounts. Honestly, I am more concerned about the other toxins in fish that are less concretely tied to particular species. For example, the claim that you shouldn't eat tilapia from China because the farms they are raised in contain a lot of toxins that get into the fish. But what does that mean about tilapia in general? Are all farmed tilapia raised in similarly poor conditions? What about wild-harvest? Is it sustainably done and a better alternative?

And what about the ethics of eating animals, whether based on ideas of life or environmentalism? But there are well-substantiated claims that some mollusks provide extremely environmentally friendly protein. And also things like oysters have no central nervous system, so isn't that "better" than eating a chicken? But they also filter the ocean of toxins, so how "clean" does that make them to eat?

I have also read that it's important to eat a variety of types of fish, and I know that I should be searching out sustainably harvested fish, and smaller fish are less likely to contain mercury, and it's important to still eat salmon because it's so good for us, and fish harvested from (insert region) may have higher levels of radiation/crude oil pollution/ etc, and be careful about getting fish from (insert other region) because the labor isn't paid/ they pirate no-fish zones/ etc. It can get really frustrating trying to figure out what is really ok to eat.

And yet, here I am, off to finish making cajun-spiced cod for dinner. Alas.
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 776
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

Thank you for the safety alert as I've often heard.
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

I just recently learned about the high levels of mercury in tuna! I think it's frightening that kiddos get fed that often, and what about fish sticks? This should be more widely known.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

This is why it is important for us to be balanced in whatever we do.
nikkyteewhy
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Currently Reading: Dues
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikkyteewhy.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by nikkyteewhy »

I've heard about the mercury content in most fish too. This is so sad because I really love fishes. But I also love me some turkey and mutton meats. The most important thing is for us to be careful with what we put inside us. Thank you so much for this information.
thaservices1
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thaservices1.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by thaservices1 »

Besides mercury, fish and shellfish contain high levels of cadmium as well, another overlooked toxic heavy metal with no regulatory controls. And let's not forget our Pacific fish are nicely irradiated these days. The mercury warnings in tuna for pregnant women have been around for years, close to twenty now I believe. I had a friend who sickened from a bad oyster served in a resturant 15 years ago and never recovered, massive health problems and death before 50. I have people praise eating fishes at me all the time followed by a list of their health problems. I avoid all seafood and farmed fish.
"It is not the critic that counts..."
- Roosevelt
mamilla93
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamilla93.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by mamilla93 »

I dont know, I really love fish and it is better alternative to meat anyways. I eat wild caught fish like Salmon and locally sourced fish from reliable sources.
eastandalchemy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eastandalchemy.html
Latest Review: Sir, I'm Not That Kind of Girl! by Mary Lynn Archibald
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by eastandalchemy »

I live in the Azores Islands in the middle of the Atlantic, where fish is plentiful and consumed at nearly every meal. It's a lot of large fish like swordfish, tuna, grouper, octopus, and others that are very high in mercury, and I often wonder exactly how much mercury is "healthy" for humans to consume over a long period of time.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

I think we should eat things in moderation. If I recall correctly, fish has vitamin D, which isn't naturally produced in humans or found in a lot of things. The problem also lies in how it's obtained and where. I don't think there's an easy solution to this, but the most immediate thing that comes to mind is to pay attention to how and where you get it from.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Florence Nalianya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-florence-nalianya.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Florence Nalianya »

When fish is fresh and am sudden of its source, I just eat and let God take care of me where I have no authority.
Wanja Hannah
Currently Reading: From Liberty to Magnolia: In Search of the American Dream
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wanja-hannah.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Wanja Hannah »

I love sea foods and fish is no exception. I like them fresh from the lake and I have never considered the impurities that may be contained. There are fish that are farmed in private pods and they taste great. My only worry when taking fish are the shape bones and nothing more.
Wanja Kenya
Corina Elena
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corinaelena.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black

Post by Corina Elena »

Please, watch Mission Blue, on Netflix.
Amy Murdoch Coleman
Favorite Book: Circe
Currently Reading: Hannah's War
Bookshelf Size: 6988
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-murdoch-coleman.html
Latest Review: Caretaker by George Farrell

Post by Amy Murdoch Coleman »

Yeah, I learned about the mercury levels in fish when I got pregnant the first time. The doctor gave me a list of foods to stay away from and I was shocked at the fish that are considered unsafe to eat during pregnancy.
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Sip Lake by joseph basara

Post by Honest-reviewer »

Fish is healthy no doubt. But I don’t prefer it. I don’t like its smell and the texture.
I think one should be careful about the bone getting stuck in the throat. So eat it carefully.

Return to “Book, Cook, and Crafts”