Some Foods are Better Than You May Think

Welcome to The Book, Cook, and Crafts, the place where lovers of cooking can share cool recipes, get advice on cooking techniques and tips, recommend great cooking books, and chat about food. Also, members can discuss crafty things here.
Innocent chinenye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-innocent-chinenye.html
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David

Some Foods are Better Than You May Think

Post by Innocent chinenye »

We have always known about the general benefit of adding all fruits and vegetables to the diet for overall health. They should be part of our everyday consumption. Surprisingly good health perks are at your fingertips in your own refrigerator or pantry. Let’s look at a few and note their benefits.

1. Red Bell Pepper: One cup of chopped
red bell pepper has more than twice the amount of vitamin C than a medium-sized orange. So, even if your regular diet contains adequate amounts of this vitamin (which may or may not help support your immune system), if you add in a few peppers, there is no need to worry about taking supplemental vitamin C.
2. Potatoes: Often maligned because of
their high carbohydrate content, purple and white potatoes are rich in both magnesium and potassium. According to recent evidence, these two minerals can lower the risk of hypertension (high blood pressure), which is a very common affliction in our society.
3. Raspberries: A cup of raspberries
contains a hefty amount (8 grams) of beneficial fiber, which can aid in better hunger satiation and digestive function. This amount of fiber more than doubles that found in a cup of apple slices.
4. Peas: These veggies possess a surprisingly large content of protein, which builds and supports muscle tissue. One cup of peas contains 8 grams of protein, 2 grams more than you’ll find in a large egg, and as an extra dividend, peas possess none of the cholesterol possessed by eggs.
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David
Aituaje
Currently Reading: Heaven and Earth
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aituaje.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Aituaje »

1. Kale: Often seen as "that disgusting leaf," kale can make a rather delicious side dish.
Kale is high in fiber, folate, and magnesium, nutrients that aren't easily found in other foods. One cup of kale contains 36 calories, 5 grams of fiber, and 0 grams of fat.
2. Carrots: Sometimes excluded due to their higher sugar content, carrots pack a punch with antioxidants such as beta carotene, Vitamin A, Vitamin K, Vitamin C, and even potassium .
3. Beets: a personal favorite of mine, beets don't just stain clothes; they stain pretty high on the health scale (hahaha, get it?). Beets are high in potassium, manganese, and vitamin B folate -- they sure pack a pretty purple punch!
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

Apples, carrots, beetroot and lemon juice blended together is an effective remedy for cancer.
Rruiz007
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Rruiz007 »

I have to say I eat most of the foods listed here but, I had no idea just how good for us they really are. Peas are one of my fav's and now that I know they are an even better source of protein for me I will have to eat even more of them. Another great Dish for Kale is in a soup pan sear chicken then add heavy cream and chicken stock with white potatoes and let cook on medium heat for 15mins. it's a great dish trust me.
I will have to also start adding red peppers to my daily food list as a snack item thanks.
nikkyteewhy
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Currently Reading: Dues
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikkyteewhy.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by nikkyteewhy »

I totally agree with you, I eat them already anyway, thanks for sharing this I already like bell peppers. I'll go for the red ones more often now. Thanks or this post.
shravsi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Crime and Punishment
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shravsi.html
Latest Review: Sam the Chosen by Wally Jones

Post by shravsi »

Thanks for sharing. We usually eat them but it's good to know about the health benefits too. Simple food is always healthy.
Thehorselover
Currently Reading: Irma's Daughters
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thehorselover.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick

Post by Thehorselover »

I didn’t know that peas contained that much protein! Cool, i love peas.
Netvigator72
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netvigator72.html
Latest Review: Kindred Journeys by Marjorie Tapley-Olson

Post by Netvigator72 »

This makes me feel so good since I love bell peppers.

Return to “Book, Cook, and Crafts”