Coffee and Health: Good, Bad, or Indifferent?

Welcome to The Book, Cook, and Crafts, the place where lovers of cooking can share cool recipes, get advice on cooking techniques and tips, recommend great cooking books, and chat about food. Also, members can discuss crafty things here.
Rattyhatty
Favorite Author: Mercedes Lackey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rattyhatty.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter
fav_author_id: 2531

Re: Coffee and Health: Good, Bad, or Indifferent?

Post by Rattyhatty »

While there does seem to be some benefits to coffee, I just can't drink it. It's not something I enjoy. Too bitter.
lbhatters
Favorite Book: Life is Too Short to Waste and Do Nothing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lbhatters.html
Latest Review: Life is to Short to Waste and do Nothing by Gracie Curry Holman
Reading Device: B077WTB2LY

Post by lbhatters »

Coffee is good for the stomach as do all hot drinks in that the hot water helps digestion. It also has antioxidants which are great for the heart.
:techie-studyinggray: Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible.
-Fransis of Assisi

It's perfectly ok to write garbage, as long as you edit brilliantly.
-C.J. Cherryh
JuliaKay
Currently Reading: The Black Witch
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliakay.html
Latest Review: I Am Not Gog by Matthew James Hunt

Post by JuliaKay »

I did read recently that the way the coffee bean is processed for consumption actually leads to the production of a can get causing carcinogenic. I can't recall which type of cancer though. And too much caffeine is also not good for health. I would also advise against adding fattening agents such as dairy and sugar to coffee. Almond milk may be a better alternative.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.”
― George R.R. Martin, A Dance with Dragons
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

It appears that the pros don't outweigh the cons, therefore it is my belief that everyone should drink moderately. Great info.
nikkyteewhy
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Currently Reading: Dues
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikkyteewhy.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by nikkyteewhy »

I take Lipton without cream or sugar when I need to stay up and it works almost as well as coffee. I believe its also safer.
Gmdiamzon 2
Favorite Author: Scott Hughes
Favorite Book: Devilish
Currently Reading: His to Protect
Bookshelf Size: 124
fav_author_id: 6516

Post by Gmdiamzon 2 »

For me, its either good or bad. Good if its only once a day or thrice a week. Bad if you drink too much like 3times a day.
thaservices1
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thaservices1.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by thaservices1 »

What about cadmium content? I have been a constant coffee drinker for almost 20 years. I recently did research on heavy metal poisoning and discovered many of the health issues my husband and I have been experiencing correlate with a high level of cadmium in our systems. So we both cut out coffee back to a few times a week treat and I have to say, after I got past the headaches I DO feel better. I have an easier time waking up in the morning and I'm not groggy first thing like I have been for so many years. My mood is better and I have more energy and no heartburn (except the other night when I ate many green chilis on my taco). I had already stopped drinking sugar in my coffee so this was not a comedown from sugar addiction, I've done that, it is hard. I've changed a lot in my diet the past few years because frankly I like being alive and all these little habits I've grown in my life are seeming to add up to an end game full of suffering. I LOVE coffee, but drinking 14+ cups of 16oz or more per week has done me no good and I know it now clearly. I FEEL better and when I do have a cuppa it is even more divine than it was daily.
"It is not the critic that counts..."
- Roosevelt
chupke07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chupke07.html
Latest Review: Metaphase by Mitchel Street

Post by chupke07 »

Innocent chinenye wrote: 28 Mar 2018, 04:47 Coffee contains hundreds of biologically active compounds that could play a
potential role in human health.
The potentially beneficial effects from
coffee are a modest reduction of the incidence of type 2 diabetes, hypertension (high blood pressure), obesity, and depression. Moreover, habitual coffee consumption either has
no effect or is modestly beneficial for prevention of heart
disease and stroke.

Overall mortality from both cardiovascular and other
causes seems to be favorably influenced by coffee consumption. Benefits from coffee seem to stem from better asthma control and a lower risk of certain neurologic and gastrointestinal disorders. On the other hand, certain risks of coffee consumption are attributable primarily to its caffeine
content. These include anxiety, insomnia, tremulousness, and
palpitations. There also is a possible increased risk of bone loss and fractures. Moreover, coffee prepared by boiling appears to raise levels of cholesterol in the blood, whereas
filtered coffee lacks this effect. Whether these latter differences make a difference in long-term outlook are
unclear.

So, overall, coffee seems to receive a reasonably clean bill of health, provided it is not consumed in excess. The upper
limit of safe consumption is not clearly established, but approximately 2-3 cups per day, preferably by the process of
filtration, appears to be safe and attended by neutral to beneficial effects. Or at least it does not seem to pose any real risk to health or longevity.
Coffee is the one thing I miss most being pregnant! I was a multiple cup a day girl until then and now I can only have a bit.
palilogy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-palilogy.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by palilogy »

I have honestly never enjoyed coffee.
I grew up around it my parents drank numerous cups every single morning.
For a year I worked at Starbucks during the opening shift.
I lived, breathed, had to sample every kind we stocked...and I hated them all.
I'm a chai girl - I love my chai tea lattes =)
NoraNas
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by NoraNas »

I love coffee and i drink it at any time of the day with or withou sweetner and cream.I became so addicted that if I didn't take coffee within the first few hours of the day i won't be myself as if something is missing in me,so I decided to give my self a break.

I turned to tea, green,black tea and so on. I never knew I could break the habit of coffee drinking .

But few month ago I heard about green coffee and am enjoying a cup per day but it doesn't have the kind of effect the black coffee had on me.
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

Thanks for the info. I think it depends on how much you consume like everything else.
:techie-studyingbrown:
Mallory Porshnev
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Moloka'i
Bookshelf Size: 332
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: The Paradize Inn by Sheri O'Sullivan

Post by Mallory Porshnev »

I think everything in moderation. I drink a cup or 2 a day. I'm sure the sugar I put it in causes more harm.
Riszell
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 1041
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riszell.html
Latest Review: Chancing Hope by Lisa Slater

Post by Riszell »

I just love coffee. The smell and the taste and the comfort it gives me. I feel like that's all that matters. Though I genuinely care for my health and the effects of too much coffee consumption.
:coffee3-smiley:
chupke07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chupke07.html
Latest Review: Metaphase by Mitchel Street

Post by chupke07 »

AS long as coffee is not covered in sugary sweet extra stuff, it is supposed to be very good for you. I also love the taste of it.
samical6
Currently Reading: Roadmap to End of Days
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by samical6 »

A friend told me of a coffee type powder used for soothing aches and pains. Anyone?

Return to “Book, Cook, and Crafts”