Coffee and Health: Good, Bad, or Indifferent?

Welcome to The Book, Cook, and Crafts, the place where lovers of cooking can share cool recipes, get advice on cooking techniques and tips, recommend great cooking books, and chat about food. Also, members can discuss crafty things here.
Innocent chinenye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-innocent-chinenye.html
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David

Icon Coffee and Health: Good, Bad, or Indifferent?

Post by Innocent chinenye »

Coffee contains hundreds of biologically active compounds that could play a
potential role in human health.
The potentially beneficial effects from
coffee are a modest reduction of the incidence of type 2 diabetes, hypertension (high blood pressure), obesity, and depression. Moreover, habitual coffee consumption either has
no effect or is modestly beneficial for prevention of heart
disease and stroke.

Overall mortality from both cardiovascular and other
causes seems to be favorably influenced by coffee consumption. Benefits from coffee seem to stem from better asthma control and a lower risk of certain neurologic and gastrointestinal disorders. On the other hand, certain risks of coffee consumption are attributable primarily to its caffeine
content. These include anxiety, insomnia, tremulousness, and
palpitations. There also is a possible increased risk of bone loss and fractures. Moreover, coffee prepared by boiling appears to raise levels of cholesterol in the blood, whereas
filtered coffee lacks this effect. Whether these latter differences make a difference in long-term outlook are
unclear.

So, overall, coffee seems to receive a reasonably clean bill of health, provided it is not consumed in excess. The upper
limit of safe consumption is not clearly established, but approximately 2-3 cups per day, preferably by the process of
filtration, appears to be safe and attended by neutral to beneficial effects. Or at least it does not seem to pose any real risk to health or longevity.
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David
Lincolnshirelass
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lincolnshirelass »

Fascinating information. I know I could not manage without my coffee! Decaff just doesn't work .... it isn't that I find it actively unpleasant, it's just that, like non-alcoholic wine, it doesn't fulfil the purpose it's supposed to. In both instances would prefer to drink something else entirely.
An Eye for an Eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi
Kolig595
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kolig595.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by Kolig595 »

I do believe that coffee does offer beneficial qualities to health as well. The compounds in coffee are well known to reduce negative health risks like you stated.

Another positive benefit of coffee is that if someone actually drinks a cup prior to exercise, it will yield greater results as individuals will push themselves harder and farther.
EllieA
Currently Reading: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elliea.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by EllieA »

It seems that for most people the benefits of coffee outweigh the risks, which is great news for me because I love coffee! But I do wonder if the effects of decaf are the same as regular coffee-- I hope so.

I find that drinking caffeinated coffee eventually results in me being more tired during the day, not more energized, so I actually prefer decaf most of the time. I love sitting outside first thing in the morning with a mug of hot, rich coffee and kind of decompressing before the day begins.
Eryn Bradshaw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eryn-bradshaw.html
Latest Review: The Witchstone by Victoria Randall

Post by Eryn Bradshaw »

Coffee definitely has some benefits to it, as does tea. I used to drink quite a bit of coffee, but I've found tea just works better for me since I don't have to keep downing it. Even read benefits of drinking red wine, like it could prevent cancer. I do think moderation is key though, as with anything. But hey! If it gives you an excuse to keep downing your favorite drink, why not?
Ernie6988
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ernie6988.html
Latest Review: The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by Ernie6988 »

Wow a lot of good information in there...I have a friend who is going to want to read this too. The coffee didnt moderately reduce my obesity lol I better drink more. Lol
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Wow, that was an interesting read. I can’t understand why research into foods keeps veering back and forth. I remember being told that coffee would dehydrate me, then that it would rehydrate me. So how did the initial research come up with the wrong result?
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Jeyasivananth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeyasivananth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Jeyasivananth »

I am a coffee addict. So although I love your balanced research on the benefits and demerits of drinking a coffee. I choose to be blind and biased and look at just the merits.
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

I’m in a confusing position at the moment, I can’t sleep at night, so I’m told not to drink coffee, yet I can’t stay awake during the day without it.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

Lincolnshirelass wrote: 28 Mar 2018, 05:49 Fascinating information. I know I could not manage without my coffee! Decaff just doesn't work .... it isn't that I find it actively unpleasant, it's just that, like non-alcoholic wine, it doesn't fulfil the purpose it's supposed to. In both instances would prefer to drink something else entirely.
Totally agree, non alcoholic wine, what is the point? 😄
Eryn Bradshaw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eryn-bradshaw.html
Latest Review: The Witchstone by Victoria Randall

Post by Eryn Bradshaw »

Helen_Combe wrote: 29 Mar 2018, 10:26 I’m in a confusing position at the moment, I can’t sleep at night, so I’m told not to drink coffee, yet I can’t stay awake during the day without it.
I think with that, you should stop drinking a few hours before you go to sleep. I just don't remember the exact amount of time. Somewhere between 3-5 hours I think.
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

Eryn Bradshaw wrote: 29 Mar 2018, 10:49
Helen_Combe wrote: 29 Mar 2018, 10:26 I’m in a confusing position at the moment, I can’t sleep at night, so I’m told not to drink coffee, yet I can’t stay awake during the day without it.
I think with that, you should stop drinking a few hours before you go to sleep. I just don't remember the exact amount of time. Somewhere between 3-5 hours I think.
Thank you 👍
P0tt3ry
Favorite Book: The Dresden Files
Currently Reading: The Reel Sisters
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p0tt3ry.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by P0tt3ry »

I'm at the "one cup in the morning" stage of life. It's green tea the rest of the day, much as I'd like that second shot of caffeine coursing through my veins.
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 772
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

Kudos to the very informative topic. But I do not drink coffee.
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

I have two (rather large) cups in the morning, and that's it on my caffeine intake for the day. I hope coffee does add a bit of preventative health, but realistically, the way some of us drink it (myself especially), it has got too much cream/sugar to be healthy; it's most likely unhealthy in that regard.

Return to “Book, Cook, and Crafts”