What is your favorite scone recipe?

Welcome to The Book, Cook, and Crafts, the place where lovers of cooking can share cool recipes, get advice on cooking techniques and tips, recommend great cooking books, and chat about food. Also, members can discuss crafty things here.
ktom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ktom.html
Latest Review: Trip to Adele by R I Alyaseer and A I Alyaseer

What is your favorite scone recipe?

Post by ktom »

Despite being from America, I am a huge fan of Afternoon Tea, yet I have never baked fresh scones from scratch. What are some of your favorite recipes? Do you prefer plain scones or fruit scones? Is it sacrilegious to serve scones with whipped cream as opposed to Devonshire cream?
"There are few hours in life more agreeable than the hour dedicated to the ceremony known as afternoon tea." - Henry James
SparklesonPages
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 211
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparklesonpages.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by SparklesonPages »

I usually make a lemon,cranberry scone. I prefer cranberries in scones for a tart taste, but perhaps I commit the ultimate sacrilege by serving them simply with tea ?
nataliecannon13
Currently Reading: An Arsène Lupin Omnibus
Bookshelf Size: 1189
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nataliecannon13.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by nataliecannon13 »

My partner and I are also from the USA, and we love making scones! Our favorite recipe is Mrs. Graham's Oatmeal Scones from Outlander Kitchen. We add rosemary and apricot to them, and they're incredible.

While we splurged and got the Outlander cookbook, the scones recipe is free on their site. Check it out!
Camille Turner
Currently Reading: Angela's Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camille-turner.html
Latest Review: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin: The Sedes Infernum by C.S. Colvin

Post by Camille Turner »

nataliecannon13 wrote: 28 Feb 2018, 12:20 My partner and I are also from the USA, and we love making scones! Our favorite recipe is Mrs. Graham's Oatmeal Scones from Outlander Kitchen. We add rosemary and apricot to them, and they're incredible.

While we splurged and got the Outlander cookbook, the scones recipe is free on their site. Check it out!
Oh my gosh, that sounds delicious!! I am definitely going to try these with your touch of rosemary and apricot — yum!
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

I use a scone recipe from that good ole red Betty Crocker cookbook that almost everyone has. I make them with dried cranberries, a hint of orange, and mini chocolate chips.
DeanBeccy
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DeanBeccy »

If you're having cream and jam on your scones, I was taught that they should never be fruity scones, only ever plain. Don't get me wrong, fruity/cheese/anything else scones are great, just not to be served with jam and cream. As for the cream, if that's what you prefer, I won't stop you, but clotted is the tradtional cream. There is a fierce debate about whether the cream or the jam goes on first, personally I find the whole thing to be more structurally stable if the cream goes on first (unlikely to be the case if you're using whipped cream).
Salsation63
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Salsation63 »

1 1/2 cups flour
1 cup cream
1 cup lemonade
Mix together roll cut out scones n bake
_claudi_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claudi.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by _claudi_ »

Scones are quite easy to bake and i like to use a recipe by Immaculate bites. They are so easy!
RavingReads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ravingreads.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by RavingReads »

Lemon blueberry scones are definitely my favorite. Super delicious and refreshing.

Return to “Book, Cook, and Crafts”