Can anybody here teach me how to make Sonofabitch Stew?

Welcome to The Book, Cook, and Crafts, the place where lovers of cooking can share cool recipes, get advice on cooking techniques and tips, recommend great cooking books, and chat about food. Also, members can discuss crafty things here.
lollyvickie
Currently Reading: The Reel Sisters
Bookshelf Size: 7

Can anybody here teach me how to make Sonofabitch Stew?

Post by lollyvickie »

I have interest in learning how to make foreign stew.
When i saw the sonofabitch stew online, i love it and which i could make it on my own.
As a Nigerian i have always wanted to make foreign stew my self.

I will be so glad if some one can put me through on how to make it.
cozark38
Currently Reading: Life Before
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cozark38.html
Latest Review: Something About Ann by J. Everett Prewitt

Post by cozark38 »

This may or may not help, but perhaps it will. I am not quite certain there is a proper way. I grew up in Montana. Here is how it was explained to me. The basic ingredients are those not used up first when a cow is butchered. When you begin to run out of meat, there is no game in the area, the trail cook would use brains, liver, heart, and whatever else he could find to put in the stew or a combination of them all.

The key to cooking it like the cowboys is to us the tripod over the fire with a cast iron pot and slowly cook the ingredients. Recipes can be found online, but the method of cooking seems to be the most important. Sweet bread can be cooked along with it on flat, hot rocks, or dropped into the stew like dumplings. Again, after reading about it and hearing stories, I believe it just depended on what ingredients were readily available at the time.

As for the name, well, I was told that when some found out what was actually in it, rodents or otherwise, they called the cook of the camp a sonofabith. Stories are stories, but the method of cooking seems to be the most common fact when I was growing up.
SparklesonPages
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 211
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparklesonpages.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by SparklesonPages »

cozark38 wrote: 16 Feb 2018, 16:03 This may or may not help, but perhaps it will. I am not quite certain there is a proper way. I grew up in Montana. Here is how it was explained to me. The basic ingredients are those not used up first when a cow is butchered. When you begin to run out of meat, there is no game in the area, the trail cook would use brains, liver, heart, and whatever else he could find to put in the stew or a combination of them all.

The key to cooking it like the cowboys is to us the tripod over the fire with a cast iron pot and slowly cook the ingredients. Recipes can be found online, but the method of cooking seems to be the most important. Sweet bread can be cooked along with it on flat, hot rocks, or dropped into the stew like dumplings. Again, after reading about it and hearing stories, I believe it just depended on what ingredients were readily available at the time.

As for the name, well, I was told that when some found out what was actually in it, rodents or otherwise, they called the cook of the camp a sonofabith. Stories are stories, but the method of cooking seems to be the most common fact when I was growing up.
Wow, I found your explanation very informative !
cozark38
Currently Reading: Life Before
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cozark38.html
Latest Review: Something About Ann by J. Everett Prewitt

Post by cozark38 »

Sometimes growing up poor and having imagination as a must, you tend to learn to use it more often. Being a snoopy, talkative child, you also hear more stories than your mother may want you to hear. Thanks again.
Charlaigne
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlaigne.html
Latest Review: Reaching the Shore by Davin Jake Douma and BonnieJane Hall

Post by Charlaigne »

cozark38 wrote: 16 Feb 2018, 16:03 This may or may not help, but perhaps it will. I am not quite certain there is a proper way. I grew up in Montana. Here is how it was explained to me. The basic ingredients are those not used up first when a cow is butchered. When you begin to run out of meat, there is no game in the area, the trail cook would use brains, liver, heart, and whatever else he could find to put in the stew or a combination of them all.

Thanks for the explanation, I'd never heard of this before! :) Thought I would want to cook it, but em, now, no.

Return to “Book, Cook, and Crafts”