caribbean foods

Welcome to The Book, Cook, and Crafts, the place where lovers of cooking can share cool recipes, get advice on cooking techniques and tips, recommend great cooking books, and chat about food. Also, members can discuss crafty things here.
Jenita89
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

caribbean foods

Post by Jenita89 »

who love caribbean foods
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

I haven't had much in the way of Caribbean foods. What are some examples other than conch?
Lionesse
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lionesse »

Caribbean cooking is quite colourful and diverse, varying from island to island, since there are technically over twenty (20) independent nations in the English speaking Caribbean alone.
Jamaica is probably one of the standout islands and the cuisine is equally unique- jerk chicken, curry goat, ackee and saltfish, ital stew, rice and peas, roast breadfruit, bammy, sweet potato pudding, grater cake, peanut drops, Irish moss are just a few of their indigenous foods.
Each island has a cadre of special dishes and recipes. Trinidad has doubles and bake and shark. St. Kitts has the mauby drink...it's definitely worth just picking an island and exploring their offerings...lots to learn and taste.
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

I'll book a flight today! It is too cold up north anyway:-)
Tzara Drusak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tzara-drusak.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by Tzara Drusak »

As a Jamaican, I would recommend our jerked chicken, with festivals and tongue-searing jerk sauce. We're of Indian descent, so we love the curried foods, with bammy and roti. If you want a liquid accompaniment, sorrel is always a good choice, or ginger beer.

There is also breadfruit, ackee, shrimp - found mostly in the southern regions of the island - mannish water (goat soup) and a whole host of diverse, interesting foods.
And in the end, we were all just humans... Drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness.

-F. Scott Fitzgerald-
Emma13
Currently Reading: The Captive Mind
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emma13.html
Latest Review: A Slice Of Chile by Dr Terry Hannan

Post by Emma13 »

I love jerk chicken! The only problem is that the places in the UK that make it tend to make it quite mild, which seems to miss the point...
spicyfoodfreak666
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by spicyfoodfreak666 »

I love Caribbean food. Especially jerk chicken. There is a place in Brooklyn NY that has the best. The restaurant is named Peppas. Try it with rice and peas if you're ever in Brooklyn. I also make my own jerk wings using Grace jerk seasoning? The hot one of course!! Dang...Now I'm hungry
RicReviews

Post by RicReviews »

I haven't had the opportunity to taste these foods. But I am a big fan of the Caribbean cricket team and would love to taste such food sometime. Anyone here from the lovely Caribbean? :)
SparklesonPages
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 211
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparklesonpages.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by SparklesonPages »

Oh my gosh I was so happy to see this post ! ME :tiphat: ME :tiphat: I am originally from the twin island nation Trinidad and Tobago in the Caribbean. I currently live in Canada but Caribbean food is at the heart of the home. It's delicious and fun, and fresh. Gush much ? ha
Dee71
Currently Reading: Lovecraft Country
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Dee71 »

Puerto Rican cuisine! I'm half Puerto Rican born and raised in Hawaii, so I while I didn't grow up with purely Caribbean cuisine, I've definitely had a mix of Puerto Rican and Hawaii-styled dishes. Especially pasteles, coquitos, tembleque, and gandule rice! <3
nikkyteewhy
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Currently Reading: Dues
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikkyteewhy.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by nikkyteewhy »

Lionesse wrote: 19 Jan 2018, 07:42 Caribbean cooking is quite colourful and diverse, varying from island to island, since there are technically over twenty (20) independent nations in the English speaking Caribbean alone.
Jamaica is probably one of the standout islands and the cuisine is equally unique- jerk chicken, curry goat, ackee and saltfish, ital stew, rice and peas, roast breadfruit, bammy, sweet potato pudding, grater cake, peanut drops, Irish moss are just a few of their indigenous foods.
Each island has a cadre of special dishes and recipes. Trinidad has doubles and bake and shark. St. Kitts has the mauby drink...it's definitely worth just picking an island and exploring their offerings...lots to learn and taste.
Yeah I remember the Jamaican festival, the hot spice in the Jerk chicken,curry mutton .The Jamaicans have good food
dtb
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dtb.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by dtb »

Plantains!
Tyesha Edwards

Post by Tyesha Edwards »

I’m from Florida and I have never had any type of Jamaican food. You’re probably saying she’s crazy; but after reading this post I most definitely have to try some.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

Jamaican national dish. Ackee and saltfish with roasted breadfruit. Soooooo delicious.
thaservices1
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thaservices1.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by thaservices1 »

I love jerk chicken all blackened and spicy. The best is making the seasoning yourself, not those bottle marinades, even though some of those are tasty. I worked with a fellow from Jamaica when I was younger and got to try jerk chicken made by his mother, wow! Never have been able to duplicate it. I love ginger beer too.
"It is not the critic that counts..."
- Roosevelt

Return to “Book, Cook, and Crafts”