American Foods

Welcome to The Book, Cook, and Crafts, the place where lovers of cooking can share cool recipes, get advice on cooking techniques and tips, recommend great cooking books, and chat about food. Also, members can discuss crafty things here.
Lil Reads
Currently Reading: Chip’s World: Complex #31 and The Caretaker
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lil-reads.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Re: American Foods

Post by Lil Reads »

Eryn Bradshaw wrote: 20 Jul 2018, 05:22
Lil Reads wrote: 19 Jul 2018, 20:44
Eryn Bradshaw wrote: 19 Jul 2018, 05:31

We really don't get much. We've got zucchini, butternut, and yellow squash. Compares to American supermarkets, it's sad. I had a hard time finding peaches at one point. But we get plenty of potatoes and beef. 😂
I guess squash is really native to North America. :eusa-think: Now, peaches really throws me for a loop - they originated in China; I guess I assumed that the UK would have more access to fruit via European markets. I'm jealous about your access to blackcurrants though! :) Ha! Though I bet there is more variety than here.
I'm sure the UK does. Ireland isn't part of the UK though. Northern Ireland is. Haven't checked things out there though. Black currants are lovely. And sloes as well. We made sloe gin and it's one of my favourites! I do miss huckleberries though.
Oops! Sorry, forgot to check where in Ireland you were living. Never had sloe or huckleberries either. Sound good though.
:coffee3-smiley: :auto-mysterymachine:
Eryn Bradshaw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eryn-bradshaw.html
Latest Review: The Witchstone by Victoria Randall

Post by Eryn Bradshaw »

Lil Reads wrote: 20 Jul 2018, 19:47
Lil Reads wrote: 19 Jul 2018, 20:44

I guess squash is really native to North America. :eusa-think: Now, peaches really throws me for a loop - they originated in China; I guess I assumed that the UK would have more access to fruit via European markets. I'm jealous about your access to blackcurrants though! :) Ha! Though I bet there is more variety than here.
I'm sure the UK does. Ireland isn't part of the UK though. Northern Ireland is. Haven't checked things out there though. Black currants are lovely. And sloes as well. We made sloe gin and it's one of my favourites! I do miss huckleberries though.
Oops! Sorry, forgot to check where in Ireland you were living. Never had sloe or huckleberries either. Sound good though.
Give them a go if you ever have the chance! Sloes apparently grow in quite a few places but huckleberries are are Idaho's state fruit. They grow in the mountains if I'm remembering correctly. Huckleberry ice cream is delish! 👌
“Live, and be happy, and make others so.”
― Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley
Rose Anne03
Currently Reading: Refugee
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rose-anne03.html
Latest Review: The Elf Legacy - Book Five of the Magi Charter by Jordan David

Post by Rose Anne03 »

My fiancee is American from New Jersey. He loves to eat, hamburger, fried chicken, pizza and fries. He can eat that in a consecutive days. While me I can't do that. I'm came from the Philippines, rice is the main food.
Lil Reads

Post by Lil Reads »

Eryn Bradshaw wrote: 21 Jul 2018, 05:20

Give them a go if you ever have the chance! Sloes apparently grow in quite a few places but huckleberries are are Idaho's state fruit. They grow in the mountains if I'm remembering correctly. Huckleberry ice cream is delish! 👌
Thanks; I'll have to look for some. I think both can't grow near me, but the local grocery stores have been adding more varieties of fruit and vegetables recently so I might be able to find some soon. Now I'm thinking of the blackcurrant ice cream I had in Cornwall!
Eryn Bradshaw
Currently Reading:

Post by Eryn Bradshaw »

Lil Reads wrote: 21 Jul 2018, 18:24

Thanks; I'll have to look for some. I think both can't grow near me, but the local grocery stores have been adding more varieties of fruit and vegetables recently so I might be able to find some soon. Now I'm thinking of the blackcurrant ice cream I had in Cornwall!
Ooooooh, I'm going to Cornwall at the end of September. The ice cream shop on the front of St Ives is perfection! Clotted cream ice cream! Now I'm getting cravings and need to stop! :lol2:
Lil Reads

Post by Lil Reads »

Eryn Bradshaw wrote: 23 Jul 2018, 16:58

Ooooooh, I'm going to Cornwall at the end of September. The ice cream shop on the front of St Ives is perfection! Clotted cream ice cream! Now I'm getting cravings and need to stop! :lol2:
Sorry! We never made it to St Ives; we went to St Michael's Mount, but St Ives looks beautiful.
Eryn Bradshaw
Currently Reading:

Post by Eryn Bradshaw »

Lil Reads wrote: 24 Jul 2018, 01:19

Sorry! We never made it to St Ives; we went to St Michael's Mount, but St Ives looks beautiful.
Oh that's only about 20 minutes from St Ives. Never been there. Might have to go this trip.
Lil Reads

Post by Lil Reads »

Eryn Bradshaw wrote: 24 Jul 2018, 05:00
Lil Reads wrote: 24 Jul 2018, 01:19

Oh that's only about 20 minutes from St Ives. Never been there. Might have to go this trip.
The causeway sometimes is hard to cross due to water levels with tides and rain, but if you can get across it has some lovely views and some of the buildings are open to the public. Apparently one is a restaurant, but we didn't get to stop there so I can't vouch for it. On the mainland, there were several little cafe/snack stands, but they might have been open only for the summer.
swoodard1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by swoodard1 »

I am american and I think apples, cornbread, bisquits are a few things we enjoy alot. An apple pie fresh made for after dinner, bisquits and sausage with eggs for morning or cornbread and beans for cold night. these are things we make in the casr iron skillets so it has an at home feel and taste.
swoodard1

Post by swoodard1 »

Bukari wrote: 20 Jul 2018, 14:16 Wow! I know the origin of most of the diets in America are made of corn, especially I think of corn-pizza. I am from Ghana, and we also enjoy diets made of corn.
cornbread is the best we make cornbread to go with alot of meals. Mydad liked to eat cornbread for snacks also. :D
swoodard1

Post by swoodard1 »

CaitlinGonya wrote: 17 Nov 2017, 14:52 I'm an American from Ohio and currently live in Kentucky. I think fried chicken, hotdogs, and corndogs are the epitome of American foods.
I was in Kentucky but currantly in Ohio. yes fried chicken with cornbread or bisquits is a WOW add an apple pie and life is good.
Lil Reads

Post by Lil Reads »

swoodard1 wrote: 24 Jul 2018, 19:51 I am american and I think apples, cornbread, bisquits are a few things we enjoy alot. An apple pie fresh made for after dinner, bisquits and sausage with eggs for morning or cornbread and beans for cold night. these are things we make in the casr iron skillets so it has an at home feel and taste.
I always have to blink and scratch my head a bit when I consider the difference between an American biscuit and a British biscuit.

American ones can go with most meals or even be the meal an have savory or sweet condiments (e.g. meat/gravy vs jam/jelly) whereas British ones tend to be sweet deserts or snacks (e.g. Bourbon creams or digestives).
jjmainor
Currently Reading: The House Where Evil Dwells...Thirteen Tells
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjmainor.html
Latest Review: Beyond Cloud Nine (Beyond Saga Book 1) by Greg Spry

Post by jjmainor »

palilogy wrote: 11 Jun 2018, 21:42 I'm an American from NY recently moved to NC.
I will say I will always love a New York Pretzel and NY Pizza I enjoy more then the pizza I ate in Italy. (I still don't understand the knife and fork concept of eating certain food.)

In North Carolina we have amazing sweet tea, Virginia Ham and some interesting moonshine.
I'm in NC originally from RI, and I have to say, I don't think there's any tea in the "sweet tea," just sugar.

For pizza, I grew up on the thicker, pan style. In Rhode Island, it seemed like all the pizza places were owned/run by Greeks, so I tend to associate the best pizza with the Greeks instead of the Italians. :)
jjmainor
Currently Reading: The House Where Evil Dwells...Thirteen Tells
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjmainor.html
Latest Review: Beyond Cloud Nine (Beyond Saga Book 1) by Greg Spry

Post by jjmainor »

Bukari wrote: 20 Jul 2018, 14:16 Wow! I know the origin of most of the diets in America are made of corn, especially I think of corn-pizza. I am from Ghana, and we also enjoy diets made of corn.
I think it's because corn originated here. We're taught in school how the Natives introduced "maize" to the early settlers.
Kareka88
Favorite Book: A Ring of Endless Light
Currently Reading: The Rooster Bar
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kareka88.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kareka88 »

I currently live in Nevada but grew up in Nebraska. It is so funny that the foods I grew up with are so foreign to my California friends. I grew up with casseroles, soups, meat, and potatoes. My Cali friends grew up with salads and trendy foods. Nothing like the rib-sticking meals I knew. It is crazy that such differences can occur in such short distances.
"Life is an occasion - rise to it." Mr. Magorian

Return to “Book, Cook, and Crafts”