Adopting another culture's style of cooking?

Welcome to The Book, Cook, and Crafts, the place where lovers of cooking can share cool recipes, get advice on cooking techniques and tips, recommend great cooking books, and chat about food. Also, members can discuss crafty things here.
ladycraic
Currently Reading: Natural Cures: Stay Healthy Naturally
Bookshelf Size: 239
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladycraic.html
Latest Review: When War Ends by Patricia Tomlin

Adopting another culture's style of cooking?

Post by ladycraic »

If you could adopt another culture's style of cooking, I'm curious to know which one you would pick. I am a Nigerian -American, and goodness does that make a tasty combination. If I were to experiment with preparing food staples from another culture/country/you-get-the-gist, I would choose Ethiopia. I've had some ethopian food before and it's delicious!
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

As an American, I feel like we have adopted everyone else's cultures when it comes to our food. There are very few things that are 100% American, people included! My cooking is a watered down blend of mostly German, Japanese, Mexican, French, and Italian. Who knows what else has influenced what or how I cook!
Rebeccaej
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 815">Imago (Xenogenesis Series #3)</a>
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccaej.html
Latest Review: "The Reich Device" by Richard D. Handy

Post by Rebeccaej »

Ethiopian food is amazing. I've made kitfo myself, but not much else.

Most of my cooking tends to be East-Asian style-- Chinese or sometimes Thai.
Latest Review: "The Reich Device" by Richard D. Handy
Archie Tewksbury
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Archie Tewksbury »

Yea its good to adopt another cultures style of cooking,not fully but partially.Like we will be able to fusion two different countries style of cooking and that may turn pretty good too.
Lincolnshirelass
Previous Member of the Month

Post by Lincolnshirelass »

It may not count as haute cuisine, but the Currywurst is, I suppose, a blend of German and Indian, and boy is it tasty!
An Eye for an Eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi
Chyokore1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Chyokore1 »

Am a Nigerian, Eastern part if I want to adopted another culture's style I would go with the South- South, I love their food.
CaitlinGonya
Currently Reading: Heart of Iron
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitlingonya.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by CaitlinGonya »

I would really like to learn how to cook Indian food. I love spices so I think that would be a good area to start.
monolisa

Post by monolisa »

When we adopt another culture's style of cooking to cook their traditional recipies, it is very interesting.
Insightsintobooks729
Currently Reading: Meet your soul
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks729.html
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks729 »

I've adopted the Mexican culture of cooking. It's delicious.
"I cannot live without Books" - Thomas Jefferson
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
KDeLeon15
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdeleon15.html
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White

Post by KDeLeon15 »

I love learning all about other cultures and love learning new recipes and styles.
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
Netvigator72
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netvigator72.html
Latest Review: Kindred Journeys by Marjorie Tapley-Olson

Post by Netvigator72 »

I’m Sri Lankan and here we enjoy all kinds of foods from everywhere across the world. We also love to put together flavors. For example, I would add Indian flavors to a lasagna with no guilt and it turns out delicious.
Sophia Scher
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophia-scher.html
Latest Review: Tales from the Aether by Matthew C. Woodruff

Post by Sophia Scher »

I have always wished I had access to a traditional Indian mother or grandmother that had received all their recipes from the previous generation and learned to cook Indian cuisine from them rather than from American-ized cook books. The food in the cook books tends to be less spicy or not include spices that are harder to find in the US.
alicia_fountain
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =8717">The Brothers Karamazov</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicia-fountain.html
Latest Review: Shepherds of Destiny by Kiel Barnekov

Post by alicia_fountain »

I haven't tried Ethiopian food, but now that it has been mentioned, I would be down to try some!

I have been making curry a lot more lately. I've also had American tacos a lot, especially since my 5-year-old likes them and she hardly ever likes what I cook, lol.

I am American, but I haven't had a lot of opportunities to pick out foods from different cultures. Growing up, we always had meals that were incredibly easy to make, just pop it in the oven and add mayo or some other dipping sauce. Since I am older, I have been trying to branch out. I'll be looking up some Ethiopian recipes :)
cookiedough
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cookiedough.html
Latest Review: Dying Well by Susan Ducharme Hoben
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by cookiedough »

I love testing all cuisines. Sometimes I will have Taco Tuesdays and enjoy making a variety of tacos with different ingredients. Other days I crave pizza and pho.
Catie139
Currently Reading: Catena Aurea
Bookshelf Size: 12861
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catie139.html
Latest Review: The L.I.G.H.T. Seminar by Deacon Michael Wesley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Catie139 »

CommMayo wrote: 16 Nov 2017, 19:09 As an American, I feel like we have adopted everyone else's cultures when it comes to our food. There are very few things that are 100% American, people included! My cooking is a watered down blend of mostly German, Japanese, Mexican, French, and Italian. Who knows what else has influenced what or how I cook!
America is definitely a gastronomic melting pot. Especially if you live in a large city, you are likely to find just about every cuisine imaginable. Having traveled to and lived in several other countries, I have discovered that no food is ever the same, though. For example, Japanese food is very different if it's made in Japan, vs. made to the taste of Americans here in the States. I've even talked with people of other cultures that have owned restaurants in multiple countries, and they admit to tweaking things to appeal more to the the taste of the country in which they currently reside. (Part of that also stems from the occasional inability to get certain spices at a reasonable cost.) For me this is a real let-down, as I absolutely love Japanese food. I have yet to find an (affordable) restaurant that serves food just like I remember it in Japan.

Return to “Book, Cook, and Crafts”