Ever Use a Pressure Cooker?

Welcome to The Book, Cook, and Crafts, the place where lovers of cooking can share cool recipes, get advice on cooking techniques and tips, recommend great cooking books, and chat about food. Also, members can discuss crafty things here.
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Ever Use a Pressure Cooker?

Post by CommMayo »

I got an electric pressure cooker as a gift and I totally adore it! I think a lot of people are afraid to use them because the older versions used to explode, but the newer models are really safe and efficient. I think they are more useful than slow cookers and produce a more delicious and varied menu. Anyone else cook with a pressure cooker?
Alicnim
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicnim.html
Latest Review: "Ever After" by H M Irwing

Post by Alicnim »

Old ones used to explode!? OK, never heard of those back then. We used to use them a lot in my childhood (early 90's). To cook some popular dry-bean based dishes in my country, that would otherwise take hours to cook with conventional methods. I still use pressure cookers, a modest 7L unit by Ramtons.
Latest Review: "Ever After" by H M Irwing
Lincolnshirelass
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lincolnshirelass »

I've seen the infomercial for that posh new one ....(no I don't indulge in watching infomercials THAT often, especially not for fitness equipment!)
An Eye for an Eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi
CommMayo
Currently Reading:

Post by CommMayo »

Yeah, there are some real fancy ones out there. Mine is a pretty base model but it replaces a rice cooker and crock pot in addition to having a built in sear function. I made the easiest shredded pork tacos in it tonight. The pork fell apart after 45 minutes.
dhwanis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dhwanis.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by dhwanis »

I live in India, here we use pressure cooker literally every day to cook basic items like Dal and Rice.
R-Myra
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Keeper of Lost Things
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-myra.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by R-Myra »

CommMayo wrote: 12 Nov 2017, 21:56 I got an electric pressure cooker as a gift and I totally adore it! I think a lot of people are afraid to use them because the older versions used to explode, but the newer models are really safe and efficient. I think they are more useful than slow cookers and produce a more delicious and varied menu. Anyone else cook with a pressure cooker?
I have an electric pressure cooker at home too. And yes I remember the old pressure cooker exploding news. One of my neighbors had such an accident and she lost her left eye because of the explosion. But today's pressure cooker are safe.
-R
Lincolnshirelass

Post by Lincolnshirelass »

Oh, that's awful! So they're not urban myths after all. On related topic, has anyone here ever used a halogen oven?
An Eye for an Eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi
CommMayo
Currently Reading:

Post by CommMayo »

Lincolnshirelass wrote: 14 Mar 2018, 05:45 Oh, that's awful! So they're not urban myths after all. On related topic, has anyone here ever used a halogen oven?
I'll admit to never even hearing of a halogen oven.
keemenao segopodiso

Post by keemenao segopodiso »

the only time i used a pressure cooker was during my home economics final exam assessment where i was required to cook corn, so if i used an ordinary cooking pot it will have sucked all 2hrs of my assessment so i used a pressure cooker and it halved the time, also the corn was so soft, so a pressure cooker is a good deal to have
Snowhite189
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Snowhite189 »

Yeah I use pressure cooker so it would be a lot more easier or it won't take much of your time to make the meat tender when preparing food but if you have time you can use Casserole, it is your choice?
What goes around comes around
amy1825
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy1825.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by amy1825 »

I was not even aware there were electric pressure cookers! Mine is a stovetop one and it takes hours and hours to process anything it seems lol. I use mine mainly for canning fruits and veggies I grow!
book worm1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-worm1.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by book worm1 »

My mother-in-law uses her pressure cooker all the time. I have owned a pressure cooker for twenty years and have never used it. The screaming whistle is too intimidating. The pressure cooker lurks in the basement, daring me to bring it upstairs. Inside past it as if I am passing a wasp's nest. When I was boiling potatoes the other night, the evil thought that I couldresort to using the pressure cooker creeped into my mind. I quickly banished this thought band went back to reading a book while I waited for the potatoes to turn to mush.
nikkyteewhy
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Currently Reading: Dues
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikkyteewhy.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by nikkyteewhy »

Yes I use pressure cooker though I don't have one right now but back at my dad's house we use it all the time to make black eye peas.
nikkyteewhy
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Currently Reading: Dues
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikkyteewhy.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by nikkyteewhy »

book worm1 wrote: 06 May 2018, 07:35 My mother-in-law uses her pressure cooker all the time. I have owned a pressure cooker for twenty years and have never used it. The screaming whistle is too intimidating. The pressure cooker lurks in the basement, daring me to bring it upstairs. Inside past it as if I am passing a wasp's nest. When I was boiling potatoes the other night, the evil thought that I couldresort to using the pressure cooker creeped into my mind. I quickly banished this thought band went back to reading a book while I waited for the potatoes to turn to mush.
:D this is the funniest pressure cooker story I've heard. Don't be scared they don't bite, it can only intimidate but no permanent harm can be done.
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

Yes. I have used mine mostly for cooking roast, ribs, and banana bread.
:techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “Book, Cook, and Crafts”