Ever Use a Pressure Cooker?

Welcome to The Book, Cook, and Crafts, the place where lovers of cooking can share cool recipes, get advice on cooking techniques and tips, recommend great cooking books, and chat about food. Also, members can discuss crafty things here.
simplymica26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-simplymica26.html
Latest Review: Devilish by Tricia Barr

Re: Ever Use a Pressure Cooker?

Post by simplymica26 »

Yes! Definitely a must have if you are a fun of beef stew or our popular Filipino dish "Bulalo". It is much easier to use to make meat tender.
PlanetHauth
Currently Reading: Celebrity
Bookshelf Size: 766
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-planethauth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by PlanetHauth »

I've thought about getting a pressure cooker, but they kind of scare me. I've seen a few pictures from pressure cookers exploding and the damage that does to the surrounding kitchen. It's scary! I know it's not likely to happen if you use them correctly, and they appear to be extremely useful.
“Don’t adventures ever have an end? I suppose not. Someone else always has to carry on the story.”
-Bilbo Baggins
CinWin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 311
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cinwin.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by CinWin »

Yes I have used a pressure cooker. About 15 years ago I put it on the stove filled with cubed beef and onions to start. Well the next thing I knew I heard a sound like a bomb exploding. I went into the kitchen to find strings of meat covering the ceiling and the lid of the cooker had flown out the open window next to the stove. That was the first and last time I have ever used a pressure cooker - they frighten me - with cause. :o
----"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."----
Charlaigne
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlaigne.html
Latest Review: Reaching the Shore by Davin Jake Douma and BonnieJane Hall

Post by Charlaigne »

I decided to buy a pressure cooker after the non-stick coating of our Tiger rice cooker flaked off soon after I got the pot replaced. I babied it and was very gentle but it still flaked off. I wanted to get stainless steel and most rice cookers have non-stick so I finally opted for the pressure cooker for health reasons. I was EXTREMELY nervous after hearing so many stories of food stuck to the ceiling and people getting burned by lids unexpectedly coming off.
After much research I got a stovetop stainless steel pressure cooker on special and I'm very happy with it. The cooker is constructed in such a way that I don't see how it could explode. The handle latches and it's easy to use. I use it for 1) rice and 2) bone broth. Making bone broth is really quick and easy. I could not leave a cooker on overnight so this thing is a lifesaver. I'm still trying to make the perfect rice as it comes out a bit overcooked. I love the cooker but the manual is not that helpful.
If anyone can explain to me how to cook basmati in a stovetop pressure cooker on induction, that would be very helpful. Induction is tricky compared to gas/electric and online explanations haven't helped.
Tcaudill
Currently Reading: Masterminders
Bookshelf Size: 44

Post by Tcaudill »

I use a pressure cooker and canner alot. Love it. My mom don't like them cause when she was a kid she said her mom's blew up and made a big hole in the ceiling. I try to tell her they are made alot safer now.
Charlaigne
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlaigne.html
Latest Review: Reaching the Shore by Davin Jake Douma and BonnieJane Hall

Post by Charlaigne »

Excitingly, I think I have succeeded in making non-mushy rice in my pressure cooker. They behave slightly differently on induction, methinks.
ladycatsinger
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ladycatsinger »

I have used pressure cookers since I was very young, and I love them. I make my beef roast in there as well as ham and beans and all kinds of veggies. The newer ones have so many safety features that one exploding is very unlikely. For instance, mine has a pressure plus and if the pressure gets too high it will pop out and release the pressure.
I bought an aluminum one shortly after I was married, and got a stainless steel one when I got my induction cooktop. My newer one has a switch to flip from cook to release pressure so you don't have the little weight dancing around on top of the cooker.
I bought an electric one back around Christmas and i have only used it once. My roast didn't turn out as well as it did in the regular pressure cooker, but I had used the preset program on it and I think I will try again manually entering the time and temp.
Sharill Rasowo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharill-rasowo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sharill Rasowo »

I have never used a pressure cooker though it is on my wishlist of things to buy when I have some spare cash.
Zimall
Favorite Author: Atilla K. Zengin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zimall.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
fav_author_id: 156933

Post by Zimall »

We eat a lot of lentils in our country and pressure cooker are considered basic kitchen utensil. We almost use them on daily basis.
"All That is Gold Does Not Glitter
Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost"
Zimall
Favorite Author: Atilla K. Zengin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zimall.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
fav_author_id: 156933

Post by Zimall »

Pressure cooker explode if not used properly. They are safe if they are used with due precautions.
"All That is Gold Does Not Glitter
Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost"
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

I'm one of those who have been afraid to use the pressure cooker, I'm glad to see so many have used them with no problem. Maybe I'll give one a try.
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)
DakotaA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dakotaa.html
Latest Review: Purgatory's Angel by B Hughes-Millman

Post by DakotaA »

I would like to buy a pressure cooker but am not sure if it would work well on an electric hob. Does anybody have experience with this? I've used one before at my cousin's house, but she had a gas hob. It took a few times to get used to the whistling but the results of the pressure cooker were awesome!
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus
lilac_coquelicot
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28

Post by lilac_coquelicot »

Yes many times
Baeklen91
Currently Reading: The Miner
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Baeklen91 »

Yes, my mummy bought one some few years back
Res Alexis
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Res Alexis »

No.The cooker I have ever cooked over is an electric one.

Return to “Book, Cook, and Crafts”