Are you aware of meal prepping

Welcome to The Book, Cook, and Crafts, the place where lovers of cooking can share cool recipes, get advice on cooking techniques and tips, recommend great cooking books, and chat about food. Also, members can discuss crafty things here.
Honeybeetle
Currently Reading: Snow Crash
Bookshelf Size: 318
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honeybeetle.html
Latest Review: Loving Well, The Key To Satisfying and Joyful Relationships by Erin K Leonard (Dr Erin Leonard)

Re: Are you aware of meal prepping

Post by Honeybeetle »

KLafser, that is clever of him! I may have to steal that idea. I hate eating the same thing days in a row, freezing a bowl here and there is a great way to build up variety.
Holler about books on Twitter with me @DextroColeo! :techie-studyinggray:
EllieA
Currently Reading: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elliea.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by EllieA »

I like meal prepping if I know I have a really busy week/ series of days coming up. My favorite meal-prep technique is making crock-pot ready meals that can either go in the refrigerator or be frozen. I just load whatever meal, usually minus the veggies, into a gallon bag, label it with what else it needs (2 cups broth, 1 bag broccoli, whatever) and put it in the freezer. They day I want to use it I pull it out, dump it in the slow cooker on low, add whatever
is needed (minus veg- those I add 1 hour before serving) and presto, dinner!
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

I always cook more than I need and freeze portions so I have quick, microwaveable, home cooked meals available whenever I’m rushed.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

Two years ago I was the person who bought the pre-cooked roast beef at the grocery store. My meals all came packaged, frozen, and/or processed. When I decided to learn to cook and make more food homemade (thank you, Michael Pollan) I had to overcome the time problem. I needed food that was quick to fix after work. My version of meal prep saved me. I cook on the nights I do have time or on weekends. When I do I cook at least double portions and freeze the extra. There was a learning curve about what could be frozen and reheated well, but now I can come home and have chicken, mashed potatoes and sauté some green beans in 20 minutes with it all being homemade.
KasieMiehlke
Currently Reading: The Hidden Village
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasiemiehlke.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Post by KasieMiehlke »

The only time I use meal prepping is for breakfast. I like to get as much sleep as I can before I go to work, so by prepping breakfast it makes it easier to grab and go.
Auschef_53
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Auschef_53 »

Mis en Place. There's nothing more to say.
Gmdiamzon 2
Favorite Author: Scott Hughes
Favorite Book: Devilish
Currently Reading: His to Protect
Bookshelf Size: 124
fav_author_id: 6516

Post by Gmdiamzon 2 »

Being a mom we really need a book like this where we can learn more healthy meals to preapare for kids. Especially nowadays it very rare to find and buy foods that is delicious but healthy
Faithmwangi
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmwangi.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Faithmwangi »

No, i have not heard of meal prepping before.The idea sounds good though,the kind that simplifies the cooking process.
"Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
thaservices1
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thaservices1.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by thaservices1 »

I've thought of doing this as a service for the elderly or rushed. Coming in once a week and making up the weeks worth of meals. I thought alot about the best freezer vs fridge and microwave issues. I think I would prepare mostly freezer suitable entrees like lasagna or roast. Most side dishes are quick and salads could be made as the entrees are reheated. I had an elderly neighbor who received the local Meals on Wheels and he used to dump the meals he didn't like on us. They used a type of tray that was oven and microwave safe. Short of a huge Pyrex storage collection these might be the best option. I think most soups and stews freeze well and can be bagged to take up less freezer space, and can be tossed in a slow cooker to reheat. I've lived a lot of years in desert areas and cooking in the evening, it's still light out, and it heats up the house. If you wait til it is cool, then it's the middle of the night, so these easy to reheat meals are ideal.
"It is not the critic that counts..."
- Roosevelt
dssccoach
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 413

Post by dssccoach »

I meal prep for my husband. He has to be at work by 6am with a 1 hour commute, so is up and getting ready by 4am each day. I meal prep his breakfasts for him so that he can grab and go. His lunch typically consists of leftovers from the night before that we dish up in to containers for him to grab and toss in his lunch bag. I love meal prepping, but hate how tired I am after. I get so sick of seeing the same thing over and over, and putting the exact same thing together. It makes it easy though, since it is routine and predictable, but takes awhile and gets boring during the actual prepping. It is definitely a good thing for our busy family though.
Stephie_Steph
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Stephie_Steph »

I really want to try meal prep seems like fun however focus and other mental preparation in order to be consistent
Charlaigne
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlaigne.html
Latest Review: Reaching the Shore by Davin Jake Douma and BonnieJane Hall

Post by Charlaigne »

I really need to get better at this. I spend too long worrying about what we're going to eat.

My only tip is to make sure you have enough containers to freeze the meals in. We got some extras recently after I went on a trip interstate and partner was left alone to fend for himself. I had frozen some meals for him but he bought some extra containers. Now it's easier for me to grab something to plonk leftovers in. Before I only had 3 containers.

I read about batch cooking recently. I have so much to learn...
Samantha Powell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-powell.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Samantha Powell »

I was just asking people today for tips on meal prepping. I'm trying to help us save money since I'm not working right now, but I worry about how long you can wait to eat food before it goes bad, and what all is safe to freeze, or not freeze. :?
juliamenez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliamenez.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by juliamenez »

Meal prepping helps me get so much time back in my week! I generally spend a couple hours over the weekend chopping vegetables, slow cooking then shredding a chicken, cooking rice, and making almond milk. This is normally enough to get me a week's worth of breakfasts and lunches!
BuzzingQuill
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buzzingquill.html
Latest Review: Getting Used to Success by H.J. Shalev

Post by BuzzingQuill »

I used to do do this during my first year at uni, but reheating the food 2 or 3 days after it's prepared just tastes awful to me, don't ever try to meal prep potatoes because you might as well microwave some cardboard then chew on it.

Return to “Book, Cook, and Crafts”