Are you aware of meal prepping

Welcome to The Book, Cook, and Crafts, the place where lovers of cooking can share cool recipes, get advice on cooking techniques and tips, recommend great cooking books, and chat about food. Also, members can discuss crafty things here.
Doaa Wael
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doaa-wael.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Are you aware of meal prepping

Post by Doaa Wael »

Have you heard of the concept of meal prepping before? Do you use it? What do you like about it, what do you think its challenges are? What do you know about it?
Imagination Trumps Reality.
Steph K
Currently Reading: The Hobbit
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-steph-k.html
Latest Review: Ever After by H M Irwing

Post by Steph K »

I like meal prepping. Through the work week, I don't always have as much time to cook. So on the weekend, I like to cook a few different things, or a large quantity of something, and have food prepared for a few days. It does help to plan ahead, so you can make healthier eating choices. Without something already planned and prepared, after a long work day many people might be tempted to order in pizza. One of the drawbacks is I can only have food prepared for a few days. Something cooked on the weekend really shouldn't be eaten past Wednesday.
Doaa Wael
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doaa-wael.html

Post by Doaa Wael »

Steph K wrote:I like meal prepping. Through the work week, I don't always have as much time to cook. So on the weekend, I like to cook a few different things, or a large quantity of something, and have food prepared for a few days. It does help to plan ahead, so you can make healthier eating choices. Without something already planned and prepared, after a long work day many people might be tempted to order in pizza. One of the drawbacks is I can only have food prepared for a few days. Something cooked on the weekend really shouldn't be eaten past Wednesday.

Thank you for sharing! I think it can last a bit longer if frozen but not all items can be frozen/will taste good after freezing
Imagination Trumps Reality.
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

I like the theory that it saves you time and money, but I've never been able to get myself in gear enough to actually do it. I plan meals around reusing meals and leftovers. I'll roast a chicken for dinner one night, use the leftover meat for tacos the next night, and the. I'll make soup with the carcass after that.
CaitlinGonya
Currently Reading: Heart of Iron
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitlingonya.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by CaitlinGonya »

I am and I am terrible at it. My husband and I keep trying but I think I'm doing something wrong
mandalee519
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mandalee519.html
Latest Review: "Purgatory a rockstars journey into hell" by Jennifer Nickell
Reading Device: B00IOVUXL8

Post by mandalee519 »

I see a lot of Instagram personalities meal prepping, but I never bothered trying. I'm sure it is the best way to portion control, but I just feel like it would take a lot of time to prepare.
Latest Review: "Purgatory a rockstars journey into hell" by Jennifer Nickell
Emma13
Currently Reading: The Captive Mind
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emma13.html
Latest Review: A Slice Of Chile by Dr Terry Hannan

Post by Emma13 »

My way of working it is to make larger portions of things that will freeze (curries, stews, that kind of thing) when I'm cooking them for dinner, and then putting the rest in containers for another day. It doesn't feel like as much work as full meal prepping because you were making it to eat immediately anyway, but you still have the benefits of leftovers for further down the line.
ilovebooks2
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 489
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by ilovebooks2 »

I'm with Emma13. Even though there are only two of us at home now, I cook enough for 6-8 serves of a meal. We'll eat some that night and freeze the leftovers in portions to feed 1 or 2 people. My husband and I can have one of these meal on a day when we don't feel like cooking or when we don't have enough time cook. Or my daughter can take a few frozen meals back to campus with her when she visits.
MslwM2016
Currently Reading: Asymptote
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mslwm2016.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer
Reading Device: B076CYC14C

Post by MslwM2016 »

I utilize the meal prepping concept to reduce the time it takes to prepare savory home-cooked meals by pre-preparing as much as possible. Essentially for me, that involves pre-seasoning meats and cutting up vegetables and greens on Saturdays. With a working family and child, weekdays become less hectic when things are prepped and cooking is all that’s required; affording me more time to help with homework thus spending minimal time in the kitchen. The challenge though is to have all the items by Friday for the coming week’s menu which in itself requires some amount of planning. My Saturdays may be busy but I wouldn’t have it any other way as the trade-off in the week is worth it.
Ladysy1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ladysy1 »

There are times when I prep meals and it makes the cooking process much faster, however, most times I do as many others mentioned; cook larger portions and freeze extras.
Cate winslet
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Cate winslet »

yes it really helps so you do not forget a thing... plus avoiding last minute rush this making food burn or over cook...
SparklesonPages
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 211
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparklesonpages.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by SparklesonPages »

I’ve heard that many people find meal prepping very helpful for portion control and weight loss. I like cooking based on my mood so prepping is limited to washing and seasoning meats and fish. Everything else comes together easily to make up a meal.
Dee_7Reichardt
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Currently Reading: Tears and Trombones
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dee-7reichardt.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Dee_7Reichardt »

Meal prepping really helps me have a plan and increases my time management ability so I can spend less time procrastinating and being late to things. However, it takes more time in the moment and causes more dishes. A slow cooker is one of my best friends for doing this because it reduces the mess and I can just let it cook overnight for a large food yield.
KLafser
Currently Reading: Nine Perfect Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 574
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klafser.html
Latest Review: The Road From Money by Sylvester Boyd Jr.

Post by KLafser »

My son does this! He recently graduated college and got his first job. Sundays, he spends time shopping and then putting together what he calls bowls for the week. I think he does 7 at a time, and 5 go in the fridge 2 in the freezer. He said that the freezer ones are so that eventually he'll have a different bowl each day of the week meaning, he'll still make 7 each week but maybe 3 will be fridge, 4 will go to the freezer, and 2 from a different weeks' prep will come out of the freezer. I thought it was clever ... proud momma moment right there :)
seymmarc
Currently Reading: The Nun
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seymmarc.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by seymmarc »

I like the idea of meal prep and having something quick and available when I don't feel like cooking. My issue with meal prepping is I like the experience of cooking my meal and eating it fresh. I don't mind leftovers, in fact I usually make extra so I can have leftovers, I just don't like the idea of all of my meals being nuked in the microwave. I have a few go-to recipes that I enjoy and don't take long to put together for those days I feel lazy.

Return to “Book, Cook, and Crafts”