How did you teach your kids to cook

Welcome to The Book, Cook, and Crafts, the place where lovers of cooking can share cool recipes, get advice on cooking techniques and tips, recommend great cooking books, and chat about food. Also, members can discuss crafty things here.
Tiffanynels789
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: How did you teach your kids to cook

Post by Tiffanynels789 »

Getting up early Sunday mornings and having them prep bacon, sausage patties, cracking the eggs and showing them the correct way to avoid shells. Educating on how seasonings should be used sparingly and why. Showing them how to pre heat the oven, spray the pan witg cooking spray and why. Allowing them to bake biscuits. So with that breakfast they learned meats and temps. Dangers of grease etc. Eggs and seasonings. As well as a little baking. Good meal with variety to educate on first in my opinion.
Mailis
Currently Reading: The Employee Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mailis.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Mailis »

My older boy is accident prone in the kitchen, so I usually supervise his cooking, but I think kids love cooking the messier it gets, mixing things, adding things by measure, getting hands in the bowl, it's almost instant fun for them isn't it. I started with sandwiches and then we went on making batter for pancakes and tried handling the oven in slow steps and so on.
agotching04
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by agotching04 »

I have two kids boy and gir age8/6 years old i teach them how to prepare the ingredients n let them observe and them steg by step on how cook this and that..menu..
SparklesonPages
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 211
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparklesonpages.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by SparklesonPages »

I am actually teaching both kids 10 and 13 to cook by encouraging to help with the prep work and menu planning. They dice vegetables using a butter knife and I have started guiding them through measuring ingredients.
My kids have little interest in cooking but it's a great skill and I want them to know the basics.
mmklundt
Currently Reading: Living Out Loud
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmklundt.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by mmklundt »

My kids, now 14 and 12, started in the kitchen as soon as they could stand on a chair. They started by stirring and dumping. Once they got to be school age, I incorporated math lessons into it. If the recipe called for one cup of flour I would give them a 1/4 cup measuring cup and have them figure it out. Now I do the same thing with ounces and grams.

I have been cooking since I was little so I don't follow many recipes and just eyeball measurements. I also experiment a lot. By now both kids are self-sufficient in the kitchen and have begun experimenting themselves. My daughter, 14, does a good portion of the meal preparation in our home.

Bottom line ... make it fun and not a chore.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
Cate winslet
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Cate winslet »

I ask her to come to my kitchen and request her to bring anything I need
Samisah
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samisah.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Samisah »

I don't have kids yet, but am so looking forward to cooking with them. it will be fun!
mshogrider67
Favorite Book: The Haunting of Dove Cote house
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67

Post by mshogrider67 »

When my kids were little I always let them help me add the ingredients. as they grew older I let them measure the ingredients, add them, and stir. We always started by reading the recipe together, than gathering all the ingredients, and utensils, and went from their. My oldest daughter hates to cook, my youngest daughter loves to cook as much as I do.
TaaraLynn
Currently Reading: To Selena, With Love
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taaralynn.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by TaaraLynn »

I was literally my mom's magnet, so I went wherever she went. And when it came to the kitchen, I was there. And she'd just include me, she didn't talk down to me, she made it fun. She was passionate about it which made me interested in her interests.
"Maybe the two different worlds we lived in weren't so different. We saw the same sunset." - Ponyboy Curtis, The Outsiders
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 776
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

I taught my son how to cook by first watching me several times; secondly, I walked him through the process, while thirdly, leading him to follow step-by-step directions as I stood by to supervise.
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
becsimpson
Currently Reading: Ringo and the guardians of the waterfall
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becsimpson.html
Latest Review: The Wall by Some Guy

Post by becsimpson »

My 6 year old tells me what she wants to make, then we'll look up recipes on the internet and give them a go!
Latest Review: The Wall by Some Guy
Zilelabelle
Currently Reading: Dragonfriend
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zilelabelle.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Post by Zilelabelle »

RegularGuy3 wrote: 04 Sep 2017, 15:17 Meatballs is what got them hooked. Sat them in front of a bowl with all the ingredients measured out. Each gets a turn to add something. Then they couldn't get enough of mixing the raw beef with their hands. Needed to help with the washing just to make sure they did a good job though!
This! This is where I go wrong! I try to get everything measured out while the kids help and by the end I’m a nervous wreck. Next time I’ll get everything set up and then call the kids in to help.
KasieMiehlke
Currently Reading: The Hidden Village
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasiemiehlke.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Post by KasieMiehlke »

I don't have kids, but I did teach my niece, nephew, and cousin. I had them help with our christmas baking to start with and slowly they moved up.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

I told them to watch me, then I let them try it for themselves. If I fry an egg a certain way, then I allow them to fry it that way.
puremajik13
Currently Reading: Toni the Superhero
Bookshelf Size: 42

Post by puremajik13 »

I started my daughter off with deviled eggs. A butter knife works fine for cutting, so no worries. After pealing and cutting, she got to pop the yolks out, crumble them with a fork and even add a few ingredients, so she really felt like she was cooking. She also felt proud accomplishment once they were all filled and on the plate, even if they were a bit messy. She loved seeing her creation being enjoyed by everyone at dinner.

Return to “Book, Cook, and Crafts”