How did you teach your kids to cook

Welcome to The Book, Cook, and Crafts, the place where lovers of cooking can share cool recipes, get advice on cooking techniques and tips, recommend great cooking books, and chat about food. Also, members can discuss crafty things here.
nikkyteewhy
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Currently Reading: Dues
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikkyteewhy.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis
fav_author_id: 3251

Re: How did you teach your kids to cook

Post by nikkyteewhy »

I don't have kids yet but I remember how my mom taught me. When I turned 10, she made me shadow her in the kitchen almost every time, she made sure I watched her closely at a safe distance and was not distracted. Then after a while she started giving me small tasks like boil water, wash rice, while watching me closely and gently correcting my mistakes. After a while my tasks increased and my mistake decreased then after a while she stopped going with me to the kitchen except she wants to teach me something new.
ILT18+
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ILT18+ »

I taught my sons how to cook by first cooking for them and being attentive to what they stated they like. They would come home after spending time with the in laws for the holidays and stating ."boy are we glad you made a turkey even if we weren't here. Because boy a loaf of dry bread and dry turkey and ham with no honey sauce. Mom mash potatoes were good but how do you make yours?.
I have been making half cauliflower mash potatoes for our heath weight and not feel guilty when we eat twice as much.
The turkey: I would get 7 blends of sauces and mix together in a five glass measuring cup, well now instead of eyeballing it I now had to measure it. So with that being said I would allow them to taste the sauce on how they wanted it to taste. Mustard? Honey ? Cajun? teriyaki? not to forget the pineapple juice that holds it all together. Besides the size of the bird. I would have them help me get it in the bag, and they would watch as I braised, injected and with the sauce we made just made to inject it with. The amount of time of cooking would be a slow and on low cook breast down, then half way through the cooking of the bird. I would ask them if they hadn't left yet for the in laws yet, to hold the pan still, as i flipped the bird over. They would than ask why? and did i do anything else. Yes of course. letting it slow cook again in the enclosed bag to let the juice run back through to the other side and then towards the end of the cooking of the bird I would open the bag and put a piece of foil on the top to again slow roast the skin. more time then not the bird would fall off the bone. i then de-bone it, bag it and freeze it for turkey taquitos, sandwiches, enchiladas. thought out the next six months. of course the rest of the vegetables and side dishes was eventually left for the to make so that they par took in the cooking of a holiday fest of a family dinner for three. This I did so that by hands on after instruction to remember for them to make and do for their lives as they grow and have their lives and families
Gatlingichuki
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Gatlingichuki »

We do try new recipes together, it feels good especially when the results are good.
dssccoach
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 413

Post by dssccoach »

My boys are in Boy Scouts, so began cooking their own meals at campouts and such. They are required to plan the menu, buy their own food, and then prep and clean up at each monthly campout. That has helped tremendously. But from early on, I involved both of them in the kitchen. They started with stirring, adding ingredients, and of course licking spoons and taste testing. As they got older I began teaching them basics - making toast, cooking soup, making spaghetti, etc. We had to talk about kitchen safety, clean hands and utensils (and prep area), as well as actual cooking safety with the oven and stove. I didn't start them on the things they could injur themselves with until they were mature enough to understand. But they began with smaller things when they were 4 or 5 (old enough to be interested in what I was doing) and as they got older, they were given more opportunities. They have always made their own lunches for school and now that they are 11 and 14, they do all of their own breakfast and lunch, while I do dinner. I homeschooled for a year and during that time they were required to make 1 dinner each week and 1 dessert each week. They had to decide on a recipe (they learned how to use Pinterest to locate things since they found that more exciting than using the mass of cookbooks I have on my shelf), add things to my grocery list on our shared app and then had to prep and cook it themselves. I typically was on hand to help and answer questions, but they did it all themselves. My younger son loves cooking and baking. My older son is a horrible baker and ruined almost every dessert he attempted, even with me watching and helping. But he loves cooking meals!
shravsi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Crime and Punishment
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shravsi.html
Latest Review: Sam the Chosen by Wally Jones

Post by shravsi »

I don't have kids. But have nephews and nieces. I let them talk to me while cooking about their school and everything. In the process, they will ask if they can do the frying or help with the preparation.
Bambiears
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bambiears.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Bambiears »

My daughter is two and a half and i cant help teaching her, she is always coming to see what I am doing, dragging her bucket over for a closer look, sticking her finger in for a taste, and patting out her peice of dough, no question this is were it starts.
Thehorselover
Currently Reading: Irma's Daughters
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thehorselover.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick

Post by Thehorselover »

With safe easy things first, like peeling hard boiled eggs, buttering toast, or pitting cherries.
leximutia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leximutia.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by leximutia »

I don't have any children of my own, but my mom taught me to cook by having me join her in the kitchen. We'd just cook together, and over time, I gained an interest in it myself, then either observed her or read up on cooking techniques and recipes and experimented with them!
Chizioboli
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chizioboli.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Chizioboli »

I read you let them spend a lot of time with you in the kitchen and thereafter, you let them do what you did. However, be prepared to waste your foodstuffs
BellAJoEb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellajoeb.html
Latest Review: Divine Simplicity Day 3...Unity In The Community by Yasher Echad El

Post by BellAJoEb »

I am presently teaching my 8 year old daughter how to cook. We started out with her just watching how I do things with my explanations on the side. We moved on trying simple task by herself and gradually trying out simple meals all by herself. Though I will handle the difficult part of it. Hopefully, she will be able to present a complete dish all by herself.
Justina kaloki
Favorite Book: A Few Trivial Felonies
Currently Reading: Grace Revealed
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reading Device: Oppo

Post by Justina kaloki »

We I have a daughter who is now 9 years,she showed interest in cooking when she very young,I encourage her by letting her help me while cooking upto now , like preparing and serving the food she loves making something for herself to eat eg. stumbled eggs, starling the food with assistance which she loves , and now can she help cut tomatoes and makes food for her self like spaghetti, noodles.and she is improving each day and the bold between mum and daughter is also getting stronger.
Charlienmegan Wehner
Currently Reading: Finding Joy with an Invisible Chronic Illness
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlienmegan-wehner.html
Latest Review: Death Ray by Tom King

Post by Charlienmegan Wehner »

Just get them in the kitchen with you. They can stir, crack eggs, decorate cookies, etc. The more they can do hands-on, the more they will love it!
Latest Review: Death Ray by Tom King
Samuel Sonia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samuel-sonia.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Samuel Sonia »

Tonia Alexandra wrote: 29 Jul 2017, 15:05 I want to know
I do not have kids too,but my mum adopted the same approach to teaching me how to cook as your mum did. The funny thing is till date, I not not big on cooking. I would rather outsource that to someone.
Tiwo Dammy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tiwo-dammy.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Post by Tiwo Dammy »

If you want a kid to know how to cook they should start staying with you in the kitchen from early age. That was how I thought and it worked for me.
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
Jagulani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jagulani.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Jagulani »

Don't have kids yet buh would love to teach them alot when the arrive.

Return to “Book, Cook, and Crafts”