How did you teach your kids to cook

Welcome to The Book, Cook, and Crafts, the place where lovers of cooking can share cool recipes, get advice on cooking techniques and tips, recommend great cooking books, and chat about food. Also, members can discuss crafty things here.
Tonia Alexandra
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

How did you teach your kids to cook

Post by Tonia Alexandra »

I want to know
Angela Stripes
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 04073">The Savage Damsel and the Dwarf</a>
Currently Reading: A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angela-stripes.html
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka

Post by Angela Stripes »

Well, I don't have kids, but my mom taught me how to cook by just showing me how to do whatever it was she did (that I could handle at my age). I'd butter bread for grilled cheese, stir something on the stove, always with supervision. At first she would show me how to do something, hold the knife, ect. and stand by as I tried it out. As I got older I could do more on my own with just verbal instruction.
I don't love cooking as a hobby, and I'm not amazing at it, but I do like being able to make something tasty on my own. Makes me feel accomplished :P
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka
RegularGuy3
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-regularguy3.html
Latest Review: Farmer Beau's Farm by Kathleen Geiger

Post by RegularGuy3 »

Meatballs is what got them hooked. Sat them in front of a bowl with all the ingredients measured out. Each gets a turn to add something. Then they couldn't get enough of mixing the raw beef with their hands. Needed to help with the washing just to make sure they did a good job though!
Oliver Ekaso
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oliver-ekaso.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by Oliver Ekaso »

The usual way should be they watch you do it to develop interest, during which they get inquisitive and ask questions. At this stage, you must let them know the safe practices, and procedures. Next you give them micro tasks and errands in the kitchen. The tasks get bigger as they perform well till they can start and finish on their own. The key thing at their level is safety. Provided they have enough interest, other things will follow.
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

My 6 year old has always expressed an interest in cooking. I let him do very simple tasks like whisking eggs and stirring.
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
Tamunoibelema
Currently Reading: End of the Last Great Kingdom (The Brimstone Chronicles Book 1)
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Tamunoibelema »

I don't have children, but my Mom taught me how to Cook by carrying me along in all her cooking jobs and giving me little task to do like pounding and other minor tasks. And that's how I intend to train my children in cooking
Adungo
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Adungo »

I don't have the children yet, but my mum fought me how to cook mostly simple food
Archie Tewksbury

Post by Archie Tewksbury »

Learn them to cook when they become ten years old, so that at least when you are not around they could cook something by themselves.just teach them to cook instant recipes or simpler one.
vimbaimarv
Favorite Author: Ruth Cardello
Currently Reading: For Love or Legacy
Bookshelf Size: 41
fav_author_id: 3558

Post by vimbaimarv »

Start with the easy concepts such as salads and veggies that should do it. And then gradually get into baking and the other lot.
BookWormPrincess17

Post by BookWormPrincess17 »

Mines are still tots, & I personally always snuck out of the kitchen as soon as mother turned her back (wish I hadn't, had to learn most things on my own through ROUGH trial & error! A lot of it was so bad I had to just toss in the trash.).

I plan on making sure my kids don't leave the nest without knowing how to make fairly easy tasty & healthy meals. I'd start with basic food all kids will want to eat like hotdogs, noodles, veggie soup, grilled cheese, spaghetti, etc. Not all the best choices, but my notion is (especially 13yrs+), if you can ask to eat it, you better know how to prepare it yourself if its really simple.

Before then, I expect them to be little helpers and help prepare the food they plan on stuffing down their throat lol. If not, you're on clean up duty (the ENTIRE kitchen & eating area!)
Insightsintobooks729
Currently Reading: Meet your soul
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks729.html
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks729 »

My son watches what we do and asks to help. I let him help on small things, like mixing scrambled eggs, as he's only 5.
"I cannot live without Books" - Thomas Jefferson
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
Mylife

Post by Mylife »

I taught my two boys how to cook simple thing like noodles. My kids are 10 & 6. Are how do a grill cheese.
mandalee519
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mandalee519.html
Latest Review: "Purgatory a rockstars journey into hell" by Jennifer Nickell
Reading Device: B00IOVUXL8

Post by mandalee519 »

My daughter is 10 and she begged me to show her the basics so she can start being more independent. So slowly we are working on her cooking skills. She is proving to be much more domestic than I ever cared to be at her age.
Latest Review: "Purgatory a rockstars journey into hell" by Jennifer Nickell
Tzara Drusak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tzara-drusak.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by Tzara Drusak »

I don't have children (not yet anyway - football team plans are still underway) but my mother had my younger sister a little old. I was a teenager by then, and had no previous Older Sister experience, so I maybe took on the role a little too eagerly. I love shakes, and as a proud millennial the health shakes that were all the rage was introduced to the family diet as a have-to.

I don't know what's so interesting about a blender, but even as a baby Leah loved it. I'd add colouring (pink - blegh) and cinnamon and everything she asked, until she could hold the top and work it herself - it's not hard, obviously, but the messes were a pain to clean up. She's a fan of baking because she's a fan of batter, so that came about with no help from me.

Takeout was another thing altogether, but when she learned we could recreate the same thing at home as we got from the restaurant (Ramen counts, right?), Leah officially became a member of our family's foodie gang.
And in the end, we were all just humans... Drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness.

-F. Scott Fitzgerald-
EWatson02
Currently Reading: The Black Swan
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ewatson02.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by EWatson02 »

This applies more to baking than cooking, but bread was my mother's way of introducing it to us. We would be given small balls of dough that we could practice "kneading" and shaping.

Now, do I actually make my own bread today? Not really. (I tend to prefer using the machine, to be honest.) But having something to play with while learning was a lot of fun.

Something my mom also did was to have a baking day, one day a week dedicated to baking something, whether that be bread, pies, or cookies. Those were always a good way for us to spend some quality time with her and learn the basics of baking.

Return to “Book, Cook, and Crafts”