Exotic Food

Welcome to The Book, Cook, and Crafts, the place where lovers of cooking can share cool recipes, get advice on cooking techniques and tips, recommend great cooking books, and chat about food. Also, members can discuss crafty things here.
NickLock
Currently Reading: The Complete Sherlock Holmes
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicklock.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Exotic Food

Post by NickLock »

Many cultures eat foods that are unusual to the the culture we grew up in. Sometimes hearing what's in a certain food makes it sound unappealing, but after tasting it, one finds that it's quite delicious. And some people are more adventerous eaters and will try anything that's different from what they are used to.

As readers, we often experience difference cultures and ways of thinking through the words of the page. Do you think this makes one more open to trying exotic foods? What's a food that you've eaten that's unusual to your culture? Did you like it? Why or why not? Or what is a food that you would like to try? Why does that particular item appeal to you?
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
Storygamer88
Currently Reading: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Bookshelf Size: 365
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-storygamer88.html
Latest Review: "A Town Called Gonefor" by Wesley Cris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Storygamer88 »

Hmm, I think the most exotic foods I've had are usually seafood or amphibious like certain clams and frogs. I wouldn't mind trying some based on what I've heard or read. I heard deer tastes interesting but never had it, same for human meat, and there are tons of treats/deserts that I think would be fun to try. I tried a real life variant of Bertie Bott's Flavor Beans and hated it.
Hi all. I like board games, card games, video games, books (especially children's books and mysteries), stories, cartoons, anime, manga, light novels, animation, and other light-hearted, fun things. Feel free to message if you want to chat!
Latest Review: "A Town Called Gonefor" by Wesley Cris
Steph K
Currently Reading: The Hobbit
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-steph-k.html
Latest Review: Ever After by H M Irwing

Post by Steph K »

Deer is excellent! People outside of rural areas probably have never tried it. If it's cooked properly it tastes good and does not have that gamy flavor. Squirrel is popular in rural Missouri. I had it once, because I was feeling adventurous, but did not like it. It was stringy, greasy, and chewy.
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-0719672189.html
Latest Review: "Heartaches" by H.M. Irwing

Post by 0719672189 »

Still adjusting to sushi.
Latest Review: "Heartaches" by H.M. Irwing
RegularGuy3
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-regularguy3.html
Latest Review: Farmer Beau's Farm by Kathleen Geiger

Post by RegularGuy3 »

I'm a pretty adventurous eater. I've tried jellyfish (rubbery and I think I was allergic because my mouth went numb) and sea cucumber (gelatinous dirt) at a Chinese wedding; Vietnamese congealed blood soup (iron-y but ok with enough chili paste); and many others. I'll give any food a shot because someone likes it somewhere so maybe I will, too. But the weird thing is that I can't stand cooked fish--the idea of a salmon filet disgusts me more than cow knuckles.
ebethina
Currently Reading: Homeport
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebethina.html
Latest Review: "Temptation Trials Part II" by B. Truly

Post by ebethina »

The only culture food I have eaten is Chinese food and I do like most of it but not all
Latest Review: "Temptation Trials Part II" by B. Truly
Brandi Noelle
Currently Reading: The Invention of Murder
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandi-noelle.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by Brandi Noelle »

I'm not very adventurous when it comes to food, but I usually agree to try something once (unless it's truly out there). My husband is a hunter, so I've had venison, elk, beaver (don't ask), duck, goose.

As far as internationally exotic foods, my daughter was recently studying food around the world and so we decided to make some of the dishes to give her a taste of what she was learning. She is a great eater and loves pretty much all foods, so she really took to this idea. She is probably the only 4-year-old around to enjoy sushi, paella, tamales, pad Thai. The best part was when we went out to an Indian restaurant for my brother's birthday and she insisted on having chicken tikka! She loved it, too.
Njengnjoro
Bookshelf Size: 29

Post by Njengnjoro »

I would like to try sushi someday.
personwholovesbooks
Bookshelf Size: 24

Post by personwholovesbooks »

There's a lot of exotic foods here in the Philippine like in some parts of the country they eat snakes (haven't tried it yet and I have no plans on trying it), some eats 'salagubang' or beetle in English (I like them as pets when I was young but not as food), some eats 'Tamilok' or woodworm in English (I had the chance to eat it once but I didn't, I just can't) and here in our place the locals used to eat 'Bayawak' or Monitor Lizards in English but as of today, hunting and eating Bayawak is strictly prohibited (I've tried this when I was still a kid, my father tricked me into eating this he told me it's chicken and it really does taste like it.)
"I've learned so much from my mistakes.
I'm thinking of making a few more."
ladycraic
Currently Reading: Natural Cures: Stay Healthy Naturally
Bookshelf Size: 239
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladycraic.html
Latest Review: When War Ends by Patricia Tomlin

Post by ladycraic »

Mediterranean rice is a food that is not apart of my culture, but I've come to enjoy it! I love the flavors of roasted nuts, raisins and everything else that is thrown in!
David_92
Currently Reading: Ronaldo: Rudi's Birthday Extravaganza
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-92.html
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White

Post by David_92 »

In 2016 I visited a foreign country and was served with fried snails. I was a bit scared but when I tried them they were quite delicious. Interesting .
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
Emma13
Currently Reading: The Captive Mind
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emma13.html
Latest Review: A Slice Of Chile by Dr Terry Hannan

Post by Emma13 »

I live in the middle of a big city so I'm lucky enough to have access to lots of different cuisines. In particular, our Chinese Quarter does a lot of the more traditional dishes, rather than just the recipes designed for western tastes.

One of the things I'm doing this year is trying to read a book and try a new meal from each of the countries in the World Cup. Seems like a great way to try new things. Easy for places like Spain; a bit more challenging for somewhere like Panama! Any suggestions very welcome.
victorycoffee
Currently Reading: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victorycoffee.html
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller

Post by victorycoffee »

Eating goes hand in hand with travelling for me, especially when I'm lucky enough to spend time with a parent or grandparent who knows all the local dishes off the back of their hand. One of the things that has struck me is that just because a certain way of preparing a dish is popular and traditional, it doesn't mean it's the best way of preparing it. For example, duck is sometimes treated like chicken (boiled/roasted) in Poland, but it doesn't nearly bring out the flavor like a French-style confit, or a Chinese-style Peking duck.
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller
BookHausJ
Currently Reading: Health Tips Myth and Tricks
Bookshelf Size: 667
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookhausj.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Post by BookHausJ »

When we were kids, my siblings tried the Rabbit. It was one of our relatives who introduce us to eat the rabbit. Since we were just kids we don't know if rabbit is really allowed to eat. But it was my uncle who slaughtered the rabbit and made preparation to make it a dish for lunch. Well, honestly it taste like a chicken. But I don't eat a lot that time. Because sad to say, it was our Pet also.
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
mandalee519
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mandalee519.html
Latest Review: "Purgatory a rockstars journey into hell" by Jennifer Nickell
Reading Device: B00IOVUXL8

Post by mandalee519 »

My family is of Latin decent and my favorite dish that we cook is a plantain and ground beef lasagna. It is by far the best sweet and salty dish I have tried!
Latest Review: "Purgatory a rockstars journey into hell" by Jennifer Nickell

Return to “Book, Cook, and Crafts”