Dairy free cookbooks

Welcome to The Book, Cook, and Crafts, the place where lovers of cooking can share cool recipes, get advice on cooking techniques and tips, recommend great cooking books, and chat about food. Also, members can discuss crafty things here.
v_payson
Bookshelf Size: 0

Dairy free cookbooks

Post by v_payson »

Has anyone found a good dairy free cookbook that is not gluten free? Going dairy free can be very tricky but can have great benefits such as decreasing inflammation.
ashee

Post by ashee »

I saw one by Jaime Oliver, Dairy-Free Recipes the recipes are simple and easy. Not all recipes are Gluten free though, but lactose free is my thing. Dairy-Free Recipes /Jaime Oliver. hope it helps.
v_payson

Post by v_payson »

Thanks I will check that out.
Wilhelmenia
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Wilhelmenia »

My future son-in-law in law has to have lactose free food, and my daughter would like to make food especially dessert for him. They are actually wanting to make there wedding cake lactose free, is there any suggestions or cookbook for the to use. Myself I would like to find some too, so I can cook a meal for them. I am open to suggestions. Hungry Girl has some recipes but not quite what we looking for.
lalamcb

Post by lalamcb »

I would suggest that you look for low fodmap diet books. Alternatively just replace diary with diary free alternatives. Hope that helps
Cleis
Favorite Book: Garments Against Women
Currently Reading: Americanah
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-indepaintence.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by Cleis »

I have been vegan (no animal products) for about 3 years, and vegetarian for many more before that! I have to agree with lalamcb, that replacing dairy with dairy free products is fool proof! For cheese, Daiya is a good alternative, and almost always the most affordable brand. When it comes to milk, I typically choose a store-brand almond milk, however, soy, coconut, and cashew milk are also options. If you only need a small amount of non-dairy milk, you can find smaller amounts of boxed, shelf stable, non-dairy milk in the baking aisle. If eggs are being cut out as well, egg replacer can be found in most baking aisles, which is good for baking recipes. Nutritional Yeast is also a great staple to have when dairy-free, it's a powder that gives a cheesy flavor and texture when added to small amounts of liquid. Barnes&Noble has a good collection of GREAT vegan (but not gluten free!) cookbooks to choose from. Personally, I've been handed down vegetarian cookbooks whose recipes I've modified to make vegan. One of my favorites is Gooseberry Patch's "Our Favorite Meatless Recipes". It's small and the recipes are simple and quick. Not all of the recipes require modification to be dairy-free, but the ones that do are easily modified. Best of luck in your dairy-free journey!! :gay-rainbow:
Kary68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kary68.html

Post by Kary68 »

I don't know any dairy free cookbooks. I have the same issue but I generally omit or entirely avoid recipes with dairy in it. I recently made ice cream using coconut cream. It's dairy free, and vegan friendly. The coconut cream gives it a nice and fluffy texture similar to ice cream. You can google No churn chocolate ice cream by Minimalist Baker.

One of my co-workers also told me about almond substitute, you can use it as an alternative to cheese in lasagna. I didn't try this yet but it might be something to look into.
Netvigator72
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netvigator72.html
Latest Review: Kindred Journeys by Marjorie Tapley-Olson

Post by Netvigator72 »

ashee wrote: 07 Dec 2016, 12:50 I saw one by Jaime Oliver, Dairy-Free Recipes the recipes are simple and easy. Not all recipes are Gluten free though, but lactose free is my thing. Dairy-Free Recipes /Jaime Oliver. hope it helps.
I should check this out.

Return to “Book, Cook, and Crafts”