2016 Thanksgiving

Welcome to The Book, Cook, and Crafts, the place where lovers of cooking can share cool recipes, get advice on cooking techniques and tips, recommend great cooking books, and chat about food. Also, members can discuss crafty things here.
Aohanlon86
Favorite Author: Charlaine Harris
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amcdanel86.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
fav_author_id: 3791

2016 Thanksgiving

Post by Aohanlon86 »

Thanksgiving is next week. What will you be making?
I am going to be untraditional this year. going to make roasted chicken with mash potatoes, stuffing, fresh green bean and asparagus cooked with bacon, and a veggie/snack tray. the dessert is still unknown
Andrea O'Hanlon
Twisted Creations Home & Bath
Author
lucymn11
Currently Reading: ROOM
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucymn11.html
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by lucymn11 »

My family and I will be making the traditional roasted turkey, stuffing, and mashed sweet potatoes, along with the less traditional mac and cheese, pecan pie, and homemade vanilla ice cream. Is anyone going an even less-traditional route for their Thanksgiving meal?

-- 15 Nov 2016, 08:49 --

Can't believe I forgot one of the best parts! We also make roasted green beans and carrots, delicious with some extra gravy.
Mcapps789
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Mcapps789 »

My family always does the traditional. However a local tradition,mainly from Southern MD, is stuffed ham and my father makes the best! Since I'm not hosting this year I'll probably be bringing a bottle of merlot and make Savannah cheesecake bars to add to the dessert table ?
Aohanlon86

Post by Aohanlon86 »

lucymn11 wrote:My family and I will be making the traditional roasted turkey, stuffing, and mashed sweet potatoes, along with the less traditional mac and cheese, pecan pie, and homemade vanilla ice cream. Is anyone going an even less-traditional route for their Thanksgiving meal?

-- 15 Nov 2016, 08:49 --

Can't believe I forgot one of the best parts! We also make roasted green beans and carrots, delicious with some extra gravy.

That all sounds good. Did turkey last year but i was the only one who ate turkey so i decided if they wont be eating why make it

-- 15 Nov 2016, 15:59 --
Mcapps789 wrote:My family always does the traditional. However a local tradition,mainly from Southern MD, is stuffed ham and my father makes the best! Since I'm not hosting this year I'll probably be bringing a bottle of merlot and make Savannah cheesecake bars to add to the dessert table ?
What is in the stuffed ham?
Andrea O'Hanlon
Author
katiesquilts
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Post by katiesquilts »

Since I moved, this will be my first time actually cooking a Thanksgiving feast in JAPAN! I've been looking everywhere for turkeys and pumpkin pie... I found turkeys at Costco, but there's no way they'll fit in my tiny microwave oven! Still no luck on the pumpkin pie front, and I can't even find canned pumpkin to make my own...

In any case, the menu might look something like: rotisserie chicken, mashed potatoes, mac and cheese, roasted veggies, bread rolls, and a veggie tray. Dessert is TBD
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Mostly traditional, but I'll be making a blackberry apple pie :)
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
lucymn11
Currently Reading: ROOM
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucymn11.html
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by lucymn11 »

katiesquilts wrote:Since I moved, this will be my first time actually cooking a Thanksgiving feast in JAPAN! I've been looking everywhere for turkeys and pumpkin pie... I found turkeys at Costco, but there's no way they'll fit in my tiny microwave oven! Still no luck on the pumpkin pie front, and I can't even find canned pumpkin to make my own...

In any case, the menu might look something like: rotisserie chicken, mashed potatoes, mac and cheese, roasted veggies, bread rolls, and a veggie tray. Dessert is TBD
Sounds like a fun challenge! I've only been to Japan once but I LOVED it. If I'm ever back there during Thanksgiving, I'd probably just give up and stick to traditional Japanese food :P
zula154
Currently Reading: Crimson Stain
Bookshelf Size: 4149

Post by zula154 »

Since I am vegan, I will be making a vegan Thanksgiving. I already made the seitan turkey. Rest of the stuff just won't have dairy.
one4hymn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-one4hymn.html

Post by one4hymn »

I usually go traditional for Thanksgiving, but I might switch it up next year. We will be making turkey, green bean casserole, sweet potato casserole, macaroni and cheese, scalloped potatoes, mashed potatoes, dinner rolls, corn, vanilla and chocolate pie, pumpkin pie, and more! I love Thanksgiving because you get time off of work/school, you get to spend time with your family, and most importantly you get to eat! The only bad thing about Thanksgiving is that it reminds me of the early Americans and their forceful ways of getting the Native Americans to move. I think that we should have let them live with us and teach us more than just how to make corn. However, I am very thankful for my life today and I know it would not be so without the history that has brought us here thus far.
katiesquilts
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Post by katiesquilts »

lucymn11 wrote:Sounds like a fun challenge! I've only been to Japan once but I LOVED it. If I'm ever back there during Thanksgiving, I'd probably just give up and stick to traditional Japanese food :P
This is true...but I'm pretty sure I'll be following the Japanese tradition of KFC and cake on Christmas, so I want to do at least ONE holiday right! :lol:
Aohanlon86

Post by Aohanlon86 »

katiesquilts wrote:Since I moved, this will be my first time actually cooking a Thanksgiving feast in JAPAN! I've been looking everywhere for turkeys and pumpkin pie... I found turkeys at Costco, but there's no way they'll fit in my tiny microwave oven! Still no luck on the pumpkin pie front, and I can't even find canned pumpkin to make my own...

could you get a can of pumpkin sent to you?

-- 19 Nov 2016, 02:20 --
one4hymn wrote:I usually go traditional for Thanksgiving, but I might switch it up next year. We will be making turkey, green bean casserole, sweet potato casserole, macaroni and cheese, scalloped potatoes, mashed potatoes, dinner rolls, corn, vanilla and chocolate pie, pumpkin pie, and more! I love Thanksgiving because you get time off of work/school, you get to spend time with your family, and most importantly you get to eat! The only bad thing about Thanksgiving is that it reminds me of the early Americans and their forceful ways of getting the Native Americans to move. I think that we should have let them live with us and teach us more than just how to make corn. However, I am very thankful for my life today and I know it would not be so without the history that has brought us here thus far.
I agree, let them live with us and learn from them. I am also grateful for my life today. :D

-- 19 Nov 2016, 02:21 --
Gravy wrote:Mostly traditional, but I'll be making a blackberry apple pie :)
I haven't had blackberry pie, but I love apple with ice-cream yumm :D
Andrea O'Hanlon
Author
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

I'll also be making a couple cheese spreads, and a dip. Food this time of year is so much fun!
I love experimenting with different flavors, and blackberry apple just stuck :lol:
I also love to flavor pumpkin pie with a little orange :drool:
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Aohanlon86

Post by Aohanlon86 »

Gravy wrote:I'll also be making a couple cheese spreads, and a dip. Food this time of year is so much fun!
I love experimenting with different flavors, and blackberry apple just stuck :lol:
I also love to flavor pumpkin pie with a little orange :drool:[/quote]

you're right this time a year is great for experimenting and trying new stuff. I just found the BLT pasta salad that looks good on delish facebook page. I don't like pasta salad normally but this looked so good
Andrea O'Hanlon
Author
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Vermont Reviews »

Traditional the whole turkey feast.

Vermont Reviews
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
MermaidMcclain
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by MermaidMcclain »

This is my first time cooking for Thanksgiving! I am so nervous so finding this thread totally made my day haha. We are hosting "friendsgiving" on Friday and although nervous, I'm also super excited!!!

Return to “Book, Cook, and Crafts”