2016 Thanksgiving

Welcome to The Book, Cook, and Crafts, the place where lovers of cooking can share cool recipes, get advice on cooking techniques and tips, recommend great cooking books, and chat about food. Also, members can discuss crafty things here.
doodles
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: 2016 Thanksgiving

Post by doodles »

How to cook a turkey
Aohanlon86
Favorite Author: Charlaine Harris
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amcdanel86.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
fav_author_id: 3791

Post by Aohanlon86 »

MermaidMcclain wrote:This is my first time cooking for Thanksgiving! I am so nervous so finding this thread totally made my day haha. We are hosting "friendsgiving" on Friday and although nervous, I'm also super excited!!!
I hope your friendsgiving goes awesome. I remember making my 1st thanksgiving and it came out better then anticipated. I hope you have help with the cooking and clean up

-- 22 Nov 2016, 02:47 --

Does everyone have help with cooking and cleaning or are you on your own. I am lucky I have help

-- 22 Nov 2016, 02:58 --
doodles wrote:How to cook a turkey
What I did was look up how long it takes for the size bird that I had. I set my turkey in the bottom of my fridge 2-3 day before so it can start to thaw. on day of I preheat oven for 325. I took soft butter with seasoning that I like ( garlic, onion, salt, black pepper) and stuffed it under the skin and rubbed it on top. I don't like stuffing so I don't stuff mine. stick in oven and let it cook for 3-5 hr depending on size. once it comes out let it rest before cutting into. when juices run clear its cooked thru. I like allrecipes and foodnetwork for idea
Andrea O'Hanlon
Twisted Creations Home & Bath
Author
Sanjok Rai

Post by Sanjok Rai »

:shifty:
Mcapps789 wrote:My family always does the traditional. However a local tradition,mainly from Southern MD, is stuffed ham and my father makes the best! Since I'm not hosting this year I'll probably be bringing a bottle of merlot and make Savannah cheesecake bars to add to the dessert table ?
2124Sunshine
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-2124sunshine.html

Post by 2124Sunshine »

Thanksgiving is here so fast, I am really not ready. My son has come home, he is a freshman at college so I have to cook. :lol: Every year I have found a way out of cooking by going over family and friends house, but anyway my kids have a big meal planned for me too cook. Lets get cooking and enjoy this wonderful time of the Year!!!!! :D
e-tasana-williams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-tasana-williams.html
Latest Review: Monkey Mind Madness by Sharon Dorival
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by e-tasana-williams »

katiesquilts wrote:
lucymn11 wrote:Sounds like a fun challenge! I've only been to Japan once but I LOVED it. If I'm ever back there during Thanksgiving, I'd probably just give up and stick to traditional Japanese food :P
This is true...but I'm pretty sure I'll be following the Japanese tradition of KFC and cake on Christmas, so I want to do at least ONE holiday right! :lol:
That is hilarious! KFC and cake?!? Sounds like my kind of holiday meal when I was in college and not going home...that one made me laugh! :lol: :lol2: :lol: :lol2: :lol: :lol2:
Once you learn to read, you will be forever free ~ Frederick Douglas
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Turkey here I come!

Happy Thanksgiving everybody!
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Wishing you all a Happy Thanksgiving ... I have to wait another month for turkey :(
:greatweekend:
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
Aohanlon86

Post by Aohanlon86 »

Fran wrote:Wishing you all a Happy Thanksgiving ... I have to wait another month for turkey :(
:greatweekend:
Hope your having a great weekend. Why do you have to wait for turkey?

-- 26 Nov 2016, 19:06 --

What did everyone do with the left overs, if there was any. I have taken mine for lunches at work this weekend
Andrea O'Hanlon
Author
katiesquilts
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Post by katiesquilts »

Amcdanel86 wrote:What did everyone do with the left overs, if there was any. I have taken mine for lunches at work this weekend
I still have some turkey sitting on my counter... I know it's disgusting, but it's actually so cold here without A/C on that it's just as good as putting it in the fridge!
I also froze some of the smaller pieces that I cut off. Honestly we have so many leftovers, but we're so sick of eating the same thing so we're basically just avoiding them. :lol:
Aohanlon86

Post by Aohanlon86 »

Its been a week and my left over are finally all gone. katiesquilts that sound like a cold kitchen brrr. when I was younger my mom would use the turkey in chili, I liked it
Andrea O'Hanlon
Author
Janet L
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Janet L »

I cooked a traditional turkey dinner this year for the first time ever! I was surprised how well I did. The only thing that didn't turn out as well were my yams because I don't think I cooked them long enough. But my potato salad was to die for! I really outdid myself on that! The turkey was pretty good, but next year I'm going to do better. I'm going to find a better pan for the purpose and research ways to spice it up. For Christmas we're having ham, so I won't get to practice then. Anyway, continued next year!
Aohanlon86

Post by Aohanlon86 »

Janet L wrote:I cooked a traditional turkey dinner this year for the first time ever! I was surprised how well I did. The only thing that didn't turn out as well were my yams because I don't think I cooked them long enough. But my potato salad was to die for! I really outdid myself on that! The turkey was pretty good, but next year I'm going to do better. I'm going to find a better pan for the purpose and research ways to spice it up. For Christmas we're having ham, so I won't get to practice then. Anyway, continued next year!

I am looking for a good potato salad recipe for Christmas. what did you put in your that made it a great success
Andrea O'Hanlon
Author
Janet L
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Janet L »

I think it was the kind of potato I used. I forget the names of them, but instead of the normal potato you buy I bought those kind of yellowish skinned ones. They were really good in there. Then I put chopped up boiled eggs, mayonnaise and just enough mustard to give it flavor. You don't want to over do the mustard. Oh, and some dill pickle.
Aohanlon86

Post by Aohanlon86 »

Thank you, I know which potatos your talking about. I will try that. Thank you
Andrea O'Hanlon
Author
Celticlady
Currently Reading: Josephine Baker's Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 3435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-celticlady.html
Latest Review: Betrayal in Blue by Mark M. Bello
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Celticlady »

I didn't cook this year, we went out so no dishes or leftovers. I kind of like the leftovers though! Hope everyone had a great holiday!

Return to “Book, Cook, and Crafts”