2016 Thanksgiving

Welcome to The Book, Cook, and Crafts, the place where lovers of cooking can share cool recipes, get advice on cooking techniques and tips, recommend great cooking books, and chat about food. Also, members can discuss crafty things here.
JeremyLaBoheme
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: 2016 Thanksgiving

Post by JeremyLaBoheme »

I used to enjoy Thanksgiving in the traditional way, which is everyone meeting at my mother's house for a huge feast. However, as the years have gone by things have changed quite a bit. My grandmother passed away five years ago and that changed the dynamics of the family considerably. Other relatives have moves to other states, so what I've discovered is that the days of going to mom's house for a Thanksgiving feast have become fond memories. What do I do today? I live in a huge city where there are countless restaurants. They're all open on Thanksgiving and it's easy to find a place with good "fixin's." This year I went to an awesome buffet here in Atlanta at the popular restaurant 10th & Piedmont. The food was delicious, I didn't have to cook, and there was no clean up! I was with friends, who are also known as chosen family. So my Thanksgiving Day was awesome!
mmandy38
Favorite Author: Nicholas Sparks
Currently Reading: The Zookeeper's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmandy38.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0
fav_author_id: 2460

Post by mmandy38 »

JeremyLaBoheme wrote:I used to enjoy Thanksgiving in the traditional way, which is everyone meeting at my mother's house for a huge feast. However, as the years have gone by things have changed quite a bit. My grandmother passed away five years ago and that changed the dynamics of the family considerably. Other relatives have moves to other states, so what I've discovered is that the days of going to mom's house for a Thanksgiving feast have become fond memories. What do I do today? I live in a huge city where there are countless restaurants. They're all open on Thanksgiving and it's easy to find a place with good "fixin's." This year I went to an awesome buffet here in Atlanta at the popular restaurant 10th & Piedmont. The food was delicious, I didn't have to cook, and there was no clean up! I was with friends, who are also known as chosen family. So my Thanksgiving Day was awesome!
Have you been there any other times? I've seen it but never been and wondering if I should try it!
llbond84

Post by llbond84 »

I know I am late, however I just recently joined. I hope everyone's Thanksgiving was filled with great food and love! I personally had a quiet dinner at home with my kids and fiance. We had a stewed Turkey which was made by my fiance. I know you are probably reading this and wondering what a stewed turkey is. All Is we like to try different things and create unique recipes. A few years ago we embarked on the adventure of making turkey different, and in my book we nailed it. It is the most succulent turkey I have ever tasted! There are a lot of people who bawl their face up whenever we say the name of the turkey however whenever they taste it they are forced to eat their words! we also had macaroni and cheese, stuffing and candied yams and rolls, however the turkey and the time spent making memories with our family was the highlight for me.
JenniB
Currently Reading: The Biology of Belief
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennib.html

Post by JenniB »

We had an untraditional Thanksgiving this year. We have hispanics married into the family so we celebrated with Barbacoa de hidalgo served on warm corn tortillas with salsa, diced onions, chopped cilantro and a squeeze of lime juice. :)
ChristinC
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christinc.html

Post by ChristinC »

All I can say is... I made it through Thanksgiving without packing on the pounds and that is always a remarkable happening!
amysuedew
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysuedew.html

Post by amysuedew »

This is a little late to reply to Thanksgiving, but I made it home for one night, and then on my way back to my house from my parents, I got a speeding ticket. Not the best way to end thanksgiving.
Jade Evans

Post by Jade Evans »

I am originally from Miami and moved to Iowa. I know, Why did I do that? My husband lived there. Anyway, I am used to a southern Thanksgiving meal. Very different menu.
Blueyedevil1597
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blueyedevil1597.html

Post by Blueyedevil1597 »

My family always does a traditional feast. But we have added a modern twist, that allows everyone to enjoy the making of the fantastic dishes, and awesome kitchen disasters. We all cook a main dish and a desert. This includes children that are able and willing to help make family favorites.
Aohanlon86
Favorite Author: Charlaine Harris
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amcdanel86.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
fav_author_id: 3791

Post by Aohanlon86 »

Jade Evans wrote:I am originally from Miami and moved to Iowa. I know, Why did I do that? My husband lived there. Anyway, I am used to a southern Thanksgiving meal. Very different menu.
how are you enjoying Iowa weather?
Andrea O'Hanlon
Twisted Creations Home & Bath
Author
rockinrobin
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rockinrobin.html

Post by rockinrobin »

I made hashbrown casserole, broccoli casserole, and pumpkin pie.
LaLaWood
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lalawood.html

Post by LaLaWood »

This year for Thanksgiving we did not have the same menu as previous years. We had fried chicken, macaroni and cheese, string beans, sweet potatoes, turkey, rice, rolls, and stuffing. There was also some desserts made but the best thing made was the chocolate chip cookies. Even though the menu was switched a little, I still enjoyed the time spent with my family.
Auschef_53

Post by Auschef_53 »

I buy a boneless turkey breast then wings and thighs separate. I roast the breast and confit the dark meat in duck fat. That's how I do Thanksgiving.
RavingReads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ravingreads.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by RavingReads »

I am trying a new pumpkin pie recipe! I have use the same on for years so I am nervous but excited!!

Return to “Book, Cook, and Crafts”