Easy, Quick, DIY Dressings

Welcome to The Book, Cook, and Crafts, the place where lovers of cooking can share cool recipes, get advice on cooking techniques and tips, recommend great cooking books, and chat about food. Also, members can discuss crafty things here.
angiebrock
Bookshelf Size: 0

Icon Easy, Quick, DIY Dressings

Post by angiebrock »

I love the idea of making my own dressings without added chemicals, added fat and without soy and gluten. I just found some quick and easy recipes for those of you who also strive to eat healthier. I've only included two of the most common, but feel free to comment and ask for more!

Ranch Dressing: 1 tsp red wine vinegar, 1 Tbsp sour cream or Greek yogurt, 1/4 tsp Worchestershire sauce, pinch of fresh chives, pinch of garlic powder, pinch of onion powder, pinch of salt and pepper

Italian Dressing: 2 tsp red wine vinegar, 2 Tbsp dill, 1 Tbsp parsley, pinch of garlic powder, pinch of oregano, pinch of basil, pinch of salt and pepper
Amh73090
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amh73090.html
Latest Review: "Another-Blended Not Shaken" by Sherrie L. Todd

Post by Amh73090 »

I love the idea of making your own dressing. Not only is it cheaper but at least you know what is going into it. I saw one onight food network yesterday it was just olive oil, Fresh lemon juice, and black pepper. Unfortunately I don't know how much of each ingredient.
Latest Review: "Another-Blended Not Shaken" by Sherrie L. Todd
writingnut

Post by writingnut »

My mom taught me how to make the best Thousand Island dressing. She uses mayonnaise, a little ketchup and dill pickle cubes. I do not have any specific measurements, just add ingredients to taste. Love it!
Booky_BettyC
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 55482">Hex Hall</a>
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booky-bettyc.html
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel

Post by Booky_BettyC »

I have picked out some of my own homemade dressings from Pintrest and have not tried them yet. There's so many that I'm never sure what to try. I think I'm going to go with the ones on here first! Thanks for this topic/recipes!?
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel
bruin
Currently Reading: Cracking the Genome
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bruin.html
Latest Review: Havana 1995 -english version- by Ileana Gonzalez Monserrat

Post by bruin »

My favorite homemade dressing is Asian Ginger dressing. I just mix a little olive oil, soy sauce, grated ginger, and sweeten to taste with a little honey. I mix it in salads and also use it as a marinade for teriyaki chicken.
Lesa
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lesa.html

Post by Lesa »

Thanks for sharing! I loved reading through these DIY dressing ideas. I don't want chemicals in my food either. My new favorite go-to homemade dressing is a honey mustard dressing I came up with. The ingredients are- real mayonnaise, mustard, honey, and olive oil. Sorry, I'm not big on measuring. I generally add the ingredients to taste. I like it sweet and tangy. If you skip the olive oil, this also makes an awesome dip for chicken strips, French fries, onion rings, etc.
Celticlady
Currently Reading: Josephine Baker's Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 3435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-celticlady.html
Latest Review: Betrayal in Blue by Mark M. Bello
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Celticlady »

I know that making my own dressings is the way to go but I am either too lazy or....yes that must be it!..lol. I do love to cook though so I should really remedy that...
dhwanis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dhwanis.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by dhwanis »

Wow! This is the best of the both worlds! Thanks for the recipes...noting them down!
DennisK
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ken Follett
Currently Reading: Light in August
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dennisk.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA
fav_author_id: 3559

Post by DennisK »

bruin wrote:My favorite homemade dressing is Asian Ginger dressing. I just mix a little olive oil, soy sauce, grated ginger, and sweeten to taste with a little honey. I mix it in salads and also use it as a marinade for teriyaki chicken.

This one sounds like it would do very well on a spinach salad.
clairehast

Post by clairehast »

Your recipe sounds interesting for me. You can try 3 Salad Dressing Recipes Without Freaky Preservatives by visiting "rodalesorganiclife" site .
Kary68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kary68.html

Post by Kary68 »

A simple base I like for dressing is Dijon mustard, balsamic vinaigrette, and honey.
Las_Diamond
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-las-diamond.html

Post by Las_Diamond »

Oh I'm going to love this forum, because I am a stay at home wife and mom. We are very frugal of staying within our budget that I'm becoming more knowledgeable on making things from scratch. I can't wait to try some of these recipes and sharing some of the ones I've found through other resources.
cjohns105
Currently Reading: The Diary Of An Immortal (1945-1959)
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cjohns105.html
Latest Review: "The bible's last message to a dying world" by Khurshid ali

Post by cjohns105 »

I never make this because it is too fattening, but of course my grandmother has no such reservations and so we happily have it at her house..

Buttermilk ranch.
- 1 Ranch Packet
- 2 part Buttermilk/1 part Mayo

It's so good and so bad at the same time. :?
Latest Review: "The bible's last message to a dying world" by Khurshid ali
breyfoglese
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-breyfoglese.html
Latest Review: "The Time Stone" by Jeffrey Estrella

Post by breyfoglese »

Dressings are great and so easy - I always start with equal parts oil and something sour (usually vinegar). But that's a lot of room - sesame oil and rice vinegar will give a very different flavor than olive oil and balsamic. Then I add things I associate with my base, tasting as I go. Some examples:

-sesame/canola oil, rice vinegar, soy sauce, powdered ginger, powdered garlic
-olive oil, balsamic vinegar, Italian herbs, black pepper, garlic powder, salt
-really any oil, apple cider vinegar, mustard (yum!)
-any oil, rice vinegar, soy sauce, chili paste, honey or brown sugar

If I have fresh herbs or chives, I always incorporate them. And with dried herbs, I rub them between my hands before putting them in to break up the pieces and release flavor.
Latest Review: "The Time Stone" by Jeffrey Estrella
Lincoln
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: The Very Loving Caterpillar
Bookshelf Size: 48
Publishing Contest Votes: 9
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Lincoln »

Great recipe. Thanks so much for sharing and I look forward to making this in the future!

-- 12 Mar 2017, 19:15 --

Great recipe. Thanks so much for sharing and I look forward to making this in the future!
Lincoln's book, Raven's Peak is the OnlineBookClub.org April 2017 Book of the Month.

View Raven's Peak on Lincoln's website.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves

Return to “Book, Cook, and Crafts”