Crockpots

Welcome to The Book, Cook, and Crafts, the place where lovers of cooking can share cool recipes, get advice on cooking techniques and tips, recommend great cooking books, and chat about food. Also, members can discuss crafty things here.
indubitabubbly
Currently Reading: Solaris Seethes
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-indubitabubbly.html
Latest Review: "Can I Be Frank?" by Rob Wyatt

Re: Crockpots

Post by indubitabubbly »

I am a big fan of the crockpot! I use it when I meal prep quite often.
Latest Review: "Can I Be Frank?" by Rob Wyatt
Afuglsan
Currently Reading: The Masked City
Bookshelf Size: 5445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-afuglsan.html
Latest Review: "STARLESS and Bible Black" by Gerard DiLeo

Post by Afuglsan »

I loooooove my crockpot. My husband bought the little one that makes like four servings so it's very difficult to put all I want into one meal. But it's for the best because then I'd end up making way too much. Regardless, best. Invention. Ever.
Latest Review: "STARLESS and Bible Black" by Gerard DiLeo
Brandi Noelle
Currently Reading: The Invention of Murder
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandi-noelle.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by Brandi Noelle »

I love my crockpot! I use it at least once, if not twice, a week. My daughter has dance classes two nights a week and we get home at dinnertime, so it's perfect for those days. I don't have to prepare dinner after getting home, it's ready to go.
Mary Garrison
Currently Reading: The Hiding Place
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-garrison.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Mary Garrison »

12els30 wrote: 06 Sep 2016, 11:18 I love the idea of using my crockpot. But I have so little experience using one. How do I know if I need it on low, medium, or high? And what all can you even put in a crockpot? Some of the best things my Ma cooks is in her crockpot. As of now I don't think I inherited that gene.
I recommend looking on Pinterest for crockpot recipes. They have so many and I've been using different ones from there lately. Whatever recipe you find though will give you exact instructions with cooking times on high or low. For the most part I've noticed most recipes cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours. Not always the case though.
KDeLeon15
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdeleon15.html
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White

Post by KDeLeon15 »

Booky_BettyC wrote: 26 Aug 2016, 23:21 I've always wanted a crockpot but have never gotten around to buying one just yet. It would definitely be used a lot. I know a lot of people use them when they are not home though. I don't think I could ever bring myself to leave an appliance like that on for hours unsupervised. How many people here use it when they are not home? Are they really that safe?
I let mine cook all the time when I'm not home depending on the recipe and how long it takes to cook I've never had a problem with mine now I have had the issue where recipe called for 4 hours on low and I was gone for 8 hours but even then no damage came to my home just the contents of the crockpot all the broth evaporated and the veggies and meat were like jerky but it never got hot enough to burn anything down they heat to a certain heat high or low and maintain it so they don't get nearly as hot as say an oven that's why they need so long to cook and it's well worth it. I also bake stuffed cakes and bread in mine those I don't leave unattended. I hope this helped.
CaitlinGonya
Currently Reading: Heart of Iron
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitlingonya.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by CaitlinGonya »

I am in love with my crockpot. I need at least 2 more though so I can make different meals every other day.
Blue Eyed Reader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blue-eyed-reader.html
Latest Review: Twinkle Twinkle Little Starr by H M Irwing

Post by Blue Eyed Reader »

I love to use my crockpot one hundred percent! However, I feel like I can't use it absolutely all the time. I use mine in phases if that makes sense. There are just some things that taste better getting freshly made right there in front of you. Plus, there are times where I am up way too early in the morning, and I do not have the right motivational mindset to put something in it for the day.

Does that happen to anyone else?
David_92
Currently Reading: Ronaldo: Rudi's Birthday Extravaganza
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-92.html

Post by David_92 »

Crock-pots are good for cooking beans and meat . That is what i heard my mum say. I have never tried them myself.
mandalee519
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mandalee519.html
Latest Review: "Purgatory a rockstars journey into hell" by Jennifer Nickell
Reading Device: B00IOVUXL8

Post by mandalee519 »

My mother swears by her crockpot and I understand why! The food just cooks down so deliciously! I was considering buying one for myself, but seeing as my birthday is approaching, I may just get one as a gift!
Latest Review: "Purgatory a rockstars journey into hell" by Jennifer Nickell
RebeccasReading
Currently Reading: I, Richard Plantagenet
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccasreading.html
Latest Review: Man of the Sea by Nathan Kippley

Post by RebeccasReading »

I use my crockpot for anything and everything! It is by far my favorite thing in my kitchen. There are so many uses--soups, stews, chicken, pasta, etc! My personal favorite thing to make in the crock pot is mac n cheese--I add in Cheddar Cheese Campbells Soup and some sour cream and let it sit for a few hours. Always turns out perfect. So much easier than making it the traditional way!
RebeccasReading

Blue Eyed Reader wrote: 26 Dec 2017, 08:18 I love to use my crockpot one hundred percent! However, I feel like I can't use it absolutely all the time. I use mine in phases if that makes sense. There are just some things that taste better getting freshly made right there in front of you. Plus, there are times where I am up way too early in the morning, and I do not have the right motivational mindset to put something in it for the day.

Does that happen to anyone else?
I usually prep everything the night before so all i have to do in the morning is dump it in and hit "on". And then when I come home from work, my house smells amazing and I have dinner all ready to go! I work a LOT and have very little time at home, so not having to worry about cooking at the end of a long day is such a relief.
Blue Eyed Reader
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blue-eyed-reader.html
Latest Review: Twinkle Twinkle Little Starr by H M Irwing

Post by Blue Eyed Reader »

I think the other half of that motivation comes from washing dishes knowing I am going to have a bunch to wash afterwards. Hate. It.
RebeccasReading

Blue Eyed Reader wrote: 29 Jan 2018, 07:44 I think the other half of that motivation comes from washing dishes knowing I am going to have a bunch to wash afterwards. Hate. It.
Yes! And now they have those crock pot liners so you don't even have to wash the crockpot!
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

I do not use my crockpot weekly, but I do use it a couple of times monthly.

One easy dish not mentioned on here is what my parents used to call "boiled dinner". It's essentially corned beef with potatoes, carrots, and cabbage.

Super simple, put the raw veggies on the bottom. Put a corned beef fat side up on top. Add about 1 cup of water. Heat on low for 8 hrs.

The saltiness of the corned beef makes everything taste amazing!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

There is a crock pot that sits faithfully on our kitchen counter, even though it probably isn't used every week. I do use it for making white chili and chicken, a delicious roast, or the crack dip that we always take to parties. We don't use it as often as we could, because we are usually so last minute, regarding what we want for dinner.

Return to “Book, Cook, and Crafts”