Crockpots

Welcome to The Book, Cook, and Crafts, the place where lovers of cooking can share cool recipes, get advice on cooking techniques and tips, recommend great cooking books, and chat about food. Also, members can discuss crafty things here.
Spontaneo
Favorite Book: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spontaneo.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Crockpots

Post by Spontaneo »

Sir/Madam,

I am, basically, married, to the crockpot. It does such a good job, any time, of the year. Out of all of the cookbooks I have bought, the Fix-It and Forget-It series, by Phyllis Pellman Good, are the best!

The recipes are very tasty and do not call, for exotic ingredients. You can find most ingredients, at the local, dollar store.

As for size of the crockpot, one may buy a mini travel and go, to a seven (7) quart. The Fix-It and Forget-It cookbooks tell one, which size crockpot, goes best, with each recipe.

If you would like, to see, for yourself, before buying, loan one, from your local library. Also, scout your local yard sales, Ebay or Amazon.
bruin
Currently Reading: Cracking the Genome
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bruin.html
Latest Review: Havana 1995 -english version- by Ileana Gonzalez Monserrat

Post by bruin »

I use my crockpot a few times a week. I often use it to make shredded chicken breast, and then use that for different quick recipes throughout the week.
Amh73090
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amh73090.html
Latest Review: "Another-Blended Not Shaken" by Sherrie L. Todd

Post by Amh73090 »

I absolutely love my crockpots. My favorite dishes in them are more than a handful. But the ones I make most often, and my fiance loves, is a roast dinner and beef stew.
Latest Review: "Another-Blended Not Shaken" by Sherrie L. Todd
Jojowrites4All
Favorite Author: L.A. Banks
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2847">The Great Gatsby</a>
Currently Reading: Hidden in Plain Sight: Revelation of the Sons of Yah
Bookshelf Size: 514
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jojowrites4all.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 8337

Post by Jojowrites4All »

I use the crock during winter months. Recently, browsing recipes , and was thinking about using it more regularly.
~ A Lack of Preparation on Your Part - Doesn't Constitute an Emergency on My Part~
Booky_BettyC
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 55482">Hex Hall</a>
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booky-bettyc.html
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel

Post by Booky_BettyC »

I've always wanted a crockpot but have never gotten around to buying one just yet. It would definitely be used a lot. I know a lot of people use them when they are not home though. I don't think I could ever bring myself to leave an appliance like that on for hours unsupervised. How many people here use it when they are not home? Are they really that safe?
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel
reamsoflow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reamsoflow.html

Post by reamsoflow »

I love my crock pot also. I mostly use it for beef an pork roasts. I am always looking to find new things to cook in it. :D
Silvermoon
Currently Reading: That Place of Knowledge
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-silvermoon.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by Silvermoon »

I love to use it for overnight oatmeal during the winter.
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
12els30
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-12els30.html

Post by 12els30 »

I love the idea of using my crockpot. But I have so little experience using one. How do I know if I need it on low, medium, or high? And what all can you even put in a crockpot? Some of the best things my Ma cooks is in her crockpot. As of now I don't think I inherited that gene.
SandraTWP-BRW
Currently Reading: 1491: New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sandratwp-brw.html
Latest Review: "If God Is Not for Me, Then He Must Be Against Me!" by DeShaun Johnson
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by SandraTWP-BRW »

Hm. I, too, love a slowcooker. I kind of miss mine right now. It's here, but this summer in this apartment, I'm disinclined to use it. I;ve done all sorts of things in them, from cooking down tomatoes for canning to baking in them.

I am going to be out of town next week, in a hotel with a kitchenette, and I atcually plan to take mine and spend the day gallivanting and come home to a tasty, thrifty meal.
Latest Review: "If God Is Not for Me, Then He Must Be Against Me!" by DeShaun Johnson
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

I swear to God I thought the title of this forum was "Crackpots" and I came in to leave a list of my favorite crackpots. I don't know the first thing about crockpots or cooking in general. I am a bachelor so I go to restaurants but I am going to retire in February so maybe I will take up cooking. I can see it now, I will probably never learn to cook and will eventually have several crockpots filled with loose change from my pockets. Why? Because DATo is a crackpot.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
TrishaAnn92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

I'm in love with my crockpot! I love making my soups in there. I'll stick whole chicken breasts in with all my other ingredients and by the time it's done the chicken just falls apart.

DATo that is hilarious. I could see someone doing that! Crockpots can be a good catchall! Mine used to be!
catfranie
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by catfranie »

I use my crock pot several times a week! I have several crockpot cookbooks. With a busy schedule fix it and forget it meals are perfect!
stoppoppingtheP
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

ummm... what is a crockpot?

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

stoppoppingtheP wrote:ummm... what is a crockpot?
:shock2: :shock2: Oh My Goodness, you have no idea what you are missing out on! It's like a slow-cooker. I use mine several times a week! I just throw in ingredients in the morning before I leave for work, and when I get home- Dinner is done! I use chicken, pork, beef- anything! This works so well in the spring and fall, because my son plays soccer, and we're usually not getting home until around 6 or 7. I have no time at all to cook dinner, and I refuse to eat out all the time. It's perfect!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
HelloMaggie
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hellomaggie.html

Post by HelloMaggie »

DATo wrote:I swear to God I thought the title of this forum was "Crackpots" and I came in to leave a list of my favorite crackpots.
lmao! I want to hear that list!

As far as crockpots go, my favorite cookbook has been "Slow Cooker Revolution" from America's Test Kitchen. Admittedly, my experience has mostly been with READING the cookbook. Not, you know, cooking.

Return to “Book, Cook, and Crafts”