Crockpots

Welcome to The Book, Cook, and Crafts, the place where lovers of cooking can share cool recipes, get advice on cooking techniques and tips, recommend great cooking books, and chat about food. Also, members can discuss crafty things here.
stoppoppingtheP
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Re: Crockpots

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

klbradley wrote:
stoppoppingtheP wrote:ummm... what is a crockpot?
:shock2: :shock2: Oh My Goodness, you have no idea what you are missing out on! It's like a slow-cooker. I use mine several times a week! I just throw in ingredients in the morning before I leave for work, and when I get home- Dinner is done! I use chicken, pork, beef- anything! This works so well in the spring and fall, because my son plays soccer, and we're usually not getting home until around 6 or 7. I have no time at all to cook dinner, and I refuse to eat out all the time. It's perfect!

Interesting. I must look this up. :)

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
Kdonegan91
Favorite Author: Wanda E. Brunstetter
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 202">Never Cry Again</a>
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdonegan91.html
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
Reading Device: 1400699169
fav_author_id: 19883

Post by Kdonegan91 »

I love the Fix-It and Forget-It series also. My crockpot is amazing and makes my evening less chaotic. My favorite meals in my crockpot are Mississippi Roast, Chicken and stuffing with gravy, and cheesy potato soup.
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
Lauren M
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lauren-m.html
Latest Review: "Everything I Need to Know About Love I Learned From Pop Songs" by Laura Roberts

Post by Lauren M »

I always forget how much I love using my crockpot. About once a month I get it out and cook something amazing. Then i put it away again until I find something else to cook in it a few weeks later.

Recently, I made all day apple butter in it. Super easy and delish. Just apples, sugar and seasonings. Cooked on low for 8-10 hours. Then I canned 5 pints.
Latest Review: "Everything I Need to Know About Love I Learned From Pop Songs" by Laura Roberts
Stunniinmee
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Stunniinmee »

:D Crockpot meals are the best when you have a long commute. I love coming home and spending time with my family with dinner done.... versus cooking and cleaning when I get out of traffic! Crockpot liners are also amazing for a fast cleanup.
paigeybabey
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paigeybabey.html

Post by paigeybabey »

I personally love crockpots! I'm a little hesitant to put them on and leave them while I'm away from home, but it's because a relative's house burned down when they left theirs unattended; granted, that was many, many years ago and crockpots now-a-days are equipped with safety features. My boyfriend uses his frequently and leaves it sometimes while he's at work and he hasn't had an issue, so I suppose it's safe. He uses his for an apple bean bake, which is really good. I enjoy using one in the fall/winter seasons because of this excellent Wassail recipe we have (it's a drink made of frozen orange juice concentrate, apple juice, cranberry juice, cinnamon sticks, orange slices and spices like allspice and cloves). It's super delicious and fitting for the season! It's a Thanksgiving staple in our house!
KATHYmn
Favorite Book: These Sacred Lands
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kathymn.html
Latest Review: These Sacred Lands by James Harold Kelly

Post by KATHYmn »

I use my crockpot a lot during the fall and winter months. My favorite meal is a beef roast with all the trimmings. I use potatoes, carrots and an onion and then I add my roast with some seasonings and then I use Lipton Recipe Beefy Onion Soup mix and a little water to start it -maybe a cup or two cups. and a little dash of liquid smoke. Cook it on low for 8 hours and it is a perfect meal.
e-tasana-williams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-tasana-williams.html
Latest Review: Monkey Mind Madness by Sharon Dorival
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by e-tasana-williams »

Beans, beans, beans and more beans! The crockpot is the perfect way to cook them, even if you haven't soaked them first. I never feel comfortable leaving appliances running when I am not at home, so I usually put everything in there and let it cook overnight. When you wake up to the heavenly smells coming out of the crockpot, who wants cereal for breakfast?? The beans are ready, just heat up a couple tortillas and you have an awesome savory meal to start your day. MMmmmmm!
Once you learn to read, you will be forever free ~ Frederick Douglas
jordan-creel
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jordan-creel.html

Post by jordan-creel »

I LOVE our crockpot! I have made potato soup, and bbq pulled chicken many times. The bbq pulled chicken me and my husbands favorite dish! You can make so many things just using a crockpot, it's great!! :D
Beth E Stevens

Post by Beth E Stevens »

I enjoy using my crockpot for pulled pork and sauces , beef roast with gravy. Yum !! And like others that have mentioned I've been thinking about trying out more recipes.
Peggys+Place54
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Peggys+Place54 »

I love my crockpot! I use it for anything that is possible to do in one. Over the weekend I made crockpot cheesy potatoes, that didn't last long. Also have a great recipe for crockpot mac and cheese-wonderful! Wouldn't part with any of them(I have 3)!
ebeth
Currently Reading: The Color of Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebeth.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Reading Device: B0097BEFA4

Post by ebeth »

I mostly use the crockpot on the weekends when I am not working then I have leftovers for the week
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Aohanlon86
Favorite Author: Charlaine Harris
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amcdanel86.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
fav_author_id: 3791

Post by Aohanlon86 »

Silvermoon wrote:I love to use it for overnight oatmeal during the winter.
I would like to try to make this. how do you make oatmeal in the crock pot

-- 15 Nov 2016, 05:32 --

I like my crockpot. I like using on days that I have a lot of stuff going on.
Andrea O'Hanlon
Twisted Creations Home & Bath
Author
Arls World
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arls-world.html

Post by Arls World »

I love my Slow Cooker, and as a working Mom, I use it at least 3 times a week!
Sarene09
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarene09.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by Sarene09 »

What are some favorite recipes? I want to use my crock pot more. I work long days and it would be so nice to have supper done when we get home.
cjohns105
Currently Reading: The Diary Of An Immortal (1945-1959)
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cjohns105.html
Latest Review: "The bible's last message to a dying world" by Khurshid ali

Post by cjohns105 »

I use the my crockpot 1-2 times a week. I cook a lot of chicken in it, but then again I cook at lot of chicken in general... I have also used them for soups, roasts, pasta dishes, and vegetables. I have not tried baking in mine yet, that would be a new road to travel down for me.
Latest Review: "The bible's last message to a dying world" by Khurshid ali

Return to “Book, Cook, and Crafts”