Recipes within Stories

Welcome to The Book, Cook, and Crafts, the place where lovers of cooking can share cool recipes, get advice on cooking techniques and tips, recommend great cooking books, and chat about food. Also, members can discuss crafty things here.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Recipes within Stories

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

What are some of your favorite books that include the recipes mentioned in the story?
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

I seem to recall a lot of unnecessary space devoted to cuisine and wines in The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger. I don't remember if any specific recipes were detailed however.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
braver
Currently Reading: Playing Big
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-braver.html
Latest Review: "Storm of Arranon" by R E Sheahan

Post by braver »

I don't know about other people, but I actually don't enjoy when books include recipes in the middle of the story. I feel like it interrupts the story too much. It's okay if there are recipes at the end, or even a separate book. Back in the day, the American Girl cookbooks were cool - each girl's book included recipes from her time period.
Latest Review: "Storm of Arranon" by R E Sheahan
Cristina
Bookshelf Size: 3117
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by Cristina »

I like Joanna Fluke's Hannah Swensen mysteries. The recipes are placed at end of chapters so they really don't interfere with my enjoyment of the story.
Silvermoon
Currently Reading: That Place of Knowledge
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-silvermoon.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by Silvermoon »

I don't believe I have read a book that has a completed recipe in the story. :)
For the dishes mentioned in her story, Barbra Annino has added the recipes at the end of her books. I've read the recipes and they sound good, I just haven't had the chance to try them yet.
I appreciate the fact, that she adds the recipes from the Bed and Breakfast in her stories. They sound scrumptious!
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
ijimenez92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ijimenez92.html

Post by ijimenez92 »

I like to cook, and many times when the author describes the food I like to try it. I haven't read any book with entire recipes in it, but I did find a book on baroque literature and their recipes. The book had different recipes that were described in baroque literature.
Diane Rinella
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Diane Rinella »

I'm popping in with a note so I can follow this board. I mention food a fair amount in my stores and often put related recipes on my website. I'm curious as to if I should change that. (Personally, it does not feel right.)
Cristina

Post by Cristina »

Diane Rinella wrote:I'm popping in with a note so I can follow this board. I mention food a fair amount in my stores and often put related recipes on my website. I'm curious as to if I should change that. (Personally, it does not feel right.)
Hi Diana. I'm not familiar with your books yet, (they look amazing). I went to your website to check things out. I have a few thoughts that you may be interested in.
Part of what works for me with recipes in books is the character telling me how they got the recipe or when they make it, how other characters like or dislike it, changes other characters make to the recipe. Things like that. My preference is for recipes to be either at the end of the book or breaking up chapters. I have friends who like it in the story but I find that distracting. On author websites, I think the author could just put recipes as the author or put them from a character. If going with character I find it more interesting if it is put in a way that the character gave the author the recipe. We all know that it is the authors recipe but if I wanted reality from a character I wouldn't be reading fiction.
The other thought I had is that you should do what is comfortable for you. Yes, recipes are popular. This is probably because most people like eating. Haha. I don't think you should keep doing something you tried but it didn't feel right to you. This could come across as forced feeling to your readers and turn them off. Always go with what feels right to you. Fads come and go. You want your books to stay. You know your character, (as well as yourself), best. What is right will feel right to you. If you feel like adding something then explore your character. He/She may like cooking or baking in which recipes fit. Or they might like writing in which short stories or poems written by the character might fit better. Or card playing in which card games might fit. You get the picture. It will make your book unique and memorable as it will relate to the character.
That said, I am now going back to your website to make those Chocolate Cayenne Cookies that sound amazing!
One more thing...
The broccoli incident was hilarious. I had a wonderful incident with fire too, (think blindate, posh restaurant and a sister who sets your hair on fire), so you have my sympathy. After reading it I decided I need to try your books.
Thimble
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 6338">Iron Kissed</a>
Currently Reading: A Wise Man's Fear
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thimble.html
Latest Review: The Captain's Collie by Ace Mask
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Thimble »

Cristina wrote:I like Joanna Fluke's Hannah Swensen mysteries. The recipes are placed at end of chapters so they really don't interfere with my enjoyment of the story.
I was going to mention this series. Fluke also makes the recipes more integrated by adding notes from the characters about the recipe within the recipe.
"You can never leave footprints that last if you are always walking on tiptoe." - Leymah Gbowee
Cristina

Post by Cristina »

Thimble, I was totally thinking of the way Fluke writes in the recipes. Since Hannah is giving the recipe and she talks about how others characters feel about the recipe I am able to stay within that world. I don't feel interrupted in my reading by the recipe.
I love your cat!
Thimble
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 6338">Iron Kissed</a>
Currently Reading: A Wise Man's Fear
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thimble.html
Latest Review: The Captain's Collie by Ace Mask
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Thimble »

Cristina wrote:Thimble, I was totally thinking of the way Fluke writes in the recipes. Since Hannah is giving the recipe and she talks about how others characters feel about the recipe I am able to stay within that world. I don't feel interrupted in my reading by the recipe.
I love your cat!
Thanks, but neither of my cats would ever let me put a hat and glasses on them. lol. I found the picture on google.
"You can never leave footprints that last if you are always walking on tiptoe." - Leymah Gbowee
Cristina

Post by Cristina »

Hilarious! I was wondering how you had trained them. I was thinking you must be a cat whisperer. :lol:
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

Long ago we had a huge discussion concerning the book 84 Charing Cross Road by Helene Hanff. We discussed this book to death and in the process part of the discussion involved a recipe contained in the book for an English Pudding. I mention for the benefit of my fellow Yanks out there that an English pudding in no way resembles the concept of American "pudding".

Added to mention: You must definitely pick up the book 84 Charing Cross Road. It's a true story, it's about books, it's short, it's easy to read, it's different and you'll love it.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Kdonegan91
Favorite Author: Wanda E. Brunstetter
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 202">Never Cry Again</a>
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdonegan91.html
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
Reading Device: 1400699169
fav_author_id: 19883

Post by Kdonegan91 »

To be completely honest, I have never seen a cookbook that included stories with the recipes. I read a lot of Wanda Brunstetter's amish novels and she almost always adds a recipe from their culture at the end of the book.
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change. - Wayne Dyer
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
IReadJSherman
Currently Reading: 50 More Hikes in New Hampshire
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by IReadJSherman »

Diane Mott Davison is my favorite author that includes recipes in her murder mysteries. Her character is a Colorado caterer named, Goldy. By the time you've read them all, her characters begin to seem like family. At first she had the recipes as they appeared in the story. I enjoyed reading about the event, which....many turn out unexpectedly...then seeing the recipe. It made me feel a part of the story. Perhaps due to others not feeling this way... She now has them at the back of the book. Her titles have food & murder...clever puns...such as Dying for Chocolate. I've read them all 2x now. It does make coffee drinkers want to curl up with a Latte. I am always excited when she releases a new book.

Return to “Book, Cook, and Crafts”