Recipes within Stories

Welcome to The Book, Cook, and Crafts, the place where lovers of cooking can share cool recipes, get advice on cooking techniques and tips, recommend great cooking books, and chat about food. Also, members can discuss crafty things here.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Recipes within Stories

Post by DATo »

In the movie The Godfather the character Clemenza teaches Michael how to make Italian spaghetti sauce detailing all of the ingredients and how it is cooked.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
EMoffat
Currently Reading: Norse Mythology
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emoffat.html
Latest Review: A Life In Waiting by Katrina Benson

Post by EMoffat »

In the Terry Pratchett books Nanny Ogg makes some bizarre dishes. You can actually buy the discworld recipie book (which I did), and try and recreate some of the odd cusinie. It is pretty good fun!
stoppoppingtheP
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

I love when food is mentioned in detail in books. It makes it seem like you can almost taste the dish.

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
Insightsintobooks729
Currently Reading: Meet your soul
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks729.html
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks729 »

I like books with recipes. The Recipie Box is good, the recipes aren't in the middle of the story though, they are at tbe end of each chapter.
"I cannot live without Books" - Thomas Jefferson
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
CaitlinGonya
Currently Reading: Heart of Iron
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitlingonya.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by CaitlinGonya »

I generally like recipes in books. My current favorite is Bet Me by Jennifer Crusie. It has Chicken Marsala in it, and I love how the character tries to make it over and over again.
DeanBeccy
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DeanBeccy »

I've read two books with recipes in, Like Water For Chocolate which had recipes relevant to what was happening in the story, e.g. Christmas cake at Christmas. It was originally released as a serial in monthly magazines so already had a natural break in the story for the recipes. It's set in Southern America so it was really interesting to read the recipes and see how they are different to the British and American cooking I've grown up with. The other was Cooking Up Murder, in which the two main characters attended a cookery class, and the recipes mentioned throughout were all in the very back of the book, which was nice because it meant you could continue the experience of the book, once you'd finished and felt natural to have them in. As someone who loves cooking and reading I'm always for a novel with recipes in, but I can see how it could be jarring for some people. Well, that's my two cents.
HeatherEi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heatherei.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by HeatherEi »

In first grade we read Stone Soup. We took a field trip to the local farmer's market and bought all of the ingredients and made the soup as a class. It is such a great memory for me!
Urbashi Basu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ub-10.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Urbashi Basu »

I loved 'Like water for chocolate' both for the recipes and the story.
kathey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by kathey »

I love recipes within stories 😋 I find them a double treat.
Netvigator72
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netvigator72.html
Latest Review: Kindred Journeys by Marjorie Tapley-Olson

Post by Netvigator72 »

Kdonegan91 wrote: 19 Oct 2016, 19:54 To be completely honest, I have never seen a cookbook that included stories with the recipes. I read a lot of Wanda Brunstetter's amish novels and she almost always adds a recipe from their culture at the end of the book.
Same

Return to “Book, Cook, and Crafts”