What Would It Take To Make You Pick Up A Cookbook?

Welcome to The Book, Cook, and Crafts, the place where lovers of cooking can share cool recipes, get advice on cooking techniques and tips, recommend great cooking books, and chat about food. Also, members can discuss crafty things here.
Doxiedoc12
Currently Reading: Solaris Seethes
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doxiedoc12.html
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Re: What Would It Take To Make You Pick Up A Cookbook?

Post by Doxiedoc12 »

I loke cookbooks better than the internet as I don't like getting flour all over my phone. I like cookbooks with a story and lots of pictures!
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
mandalee519
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mandalee519.html
Latest Review: "Purgatory a rockstars journey into hell" by Jennifer Nickell
Reading Device: B00IOVUXL8

Post by mandalee519 »

I love cookbooks from people who are also available on other media forms. For example, Yolanda Gampp is a youtube baker who is phenomenal at her craft. She is easy going and fun! I'd buy her cookbook in a heartbeat.
Latest Review: "Purgatory a rockstars journey into hell" by Jennifer Nickell
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

I just reviewed a cookbook on this website. What I really liked about it was that it was general enough that it could appeal to almost everyone. It wasn't just one type of food (eg. Mexican, Italian, Caribbean). I'm an eclectic cooker and I really like to have cookbooks that don't pigeonhole me into one type of thing. I also like my cookbooks more advanced, which is probably why I liked the cookbook I reviewed...I've got the red Betty Crocker for the basics when I need it.
CommMayo
Currently Reading:

Post by CommMayo »

Doxiedoc12 wrote: 14 Jan 2018, 21:33 I loke cookbooks better than the internet as I don't like getting flour all over my phone. I like cookbooks with a story and lots of pictures!
You should check out Evie's Kitchen. Every recipe has great pictures and there is even a wine pairing list in the back of the book.
Ladysy1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ladysy1 »

I agree with many of the other posts in that, awesome pics of many types of foods and desserts makes it appealing to pick up a cookbook. As well, the nostalgia of my Grandmas cooking! :tiphat:
RebeccasReading
Currently Reading: I, Richard Plantagenet
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccasreading.html
Latest Review: Man of the Sea by Nathan Kippley

Post by RebeccasReading »

There's is honestly nothing that could make me spend money on a cookbook, when every recipe I could possibly imagine is easy to find online. I really don't understand how modern cookbooks make any money!
halismom1016
Favorite Book: Fifty Shades of Grey
Currently Reading: The 11.05 Murders
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-halismom1016.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by halismom1016 »

I have a few cookbooks but the only problem is that sometimes they have to be changed cause the proportions are wrong. So I have a few cookbooks that I have put together myself. One I try a recipe and if I have to change something I usually place it in in my homemade cookbook.
CommMayo
Currently Reading:

Post by CommMayo »

halismom1016 wrote: 07 Feb 2018, 11:59 I have a few cookbooks but the only problem is that sometimes they have to be changed cause the proportions are wrong. So I have a few cookbooks that I have put together myself. One I try a recipe and if I have to change something I usually place it in in my homemade cookbook.
That's a great idea! I usually just end up stuffing recipes into my old Betty Crocker cookbook...and then I have to flip through the entire thing to find the recipe I want!
TaaraLynn
Currently Reading: To Selena, With Love
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taaralynn.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by TaaraLynn »

I love having tangible things, so books are a must. The internet is a fantastic thing and all, but I just don't want everything on my phone. Plus, the internet can be sketchy and conk out on me. And I get headaches from screens so....

It's something about a book, when you can see and feel the history and love in it (like I have my grandmother's cookbooks and some handwritten notes are in there! She touched those!)

If they are newer cookbooks. it's usually people I follow, but they have to be simple, uncomplicated recipes.
"Maybe the two different worlds we lived in weren't so different. We saw the same sunset." - Ponyboy Curtis, The Outsiders
Rayna1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Rayna1 »

I like a book with alot of pictures so i can see what my dish should look like. I also like the nutritional i formation such as carbs, fat and calories.
Faith Atieno okoth
Currently Reading: For the Love of Suzanne
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faith-atieno-okoth.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Faith Atieno okoth »

Latest recipe's
Mailis
Currently Reading: The Employee Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mailis.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Mailis »

I prefer my trustworthy cookbooks, because whenever I print out instructions for some interesting new dish, I always seem to lose the paper immediately afterwards. I have my favorite books I always come back to, that have already proven themselves to be good and I always feel excited when I find some new gorgeous cookbook with beautiful and hopefully tasty cakes in it to make.
halismom1016
Favorite Book: Fifty Shades of Grey
Currently Reading: The 11.05 Murders
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-halismom1016.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by halismom1016 »

CommMayo wrote: 07 Feb 2018, 12:37
halismom1016 wrote: 07 Feb 2018, 11:59 I have a few cookbooks but the only problem is that sometimes they have to be changed cause the proportions are wrong. So I have a few cookbooks that I have put together myself. One I try a recipe and if I have to change something I usually place it in in my homemade cookbook.
That's a great idea! I usually just end up stuffing recipes into my old Betty Crocker cookbook...and then I have to flip through the entire thing to find the recipe I want!
I used dividers and separated mine into appetizers, main dishes, deserts, etc. It really comes in handy.
SparklesonPages
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 211
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparklesonpages.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by SparklesonPages »

Lifestyle change would probably be the reason. When I wanted a change for batter health after my second kid I invested in the South Beach Diet Cookbook and that was the last Cookbook I've bought, roughly 10 years ago.
Cate winslet
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Cate winslet »

At times I forget on time and temperatures of different dishes so I refer to a cook book...

Return to “Book, Cook, and Crafts”