What Would It Take To Make You Pick Up A Cookbook?

Welcome to The Book, Cook, and Crafts, the place where lovers of cooking can share cool recipes, get advice on cooking techniques and tips, recommend great cooking books, and chat about food. Also, members can discuss crafty things here.
Maroonbluebonnets
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maroonbluebonnets.html

Re: What Would It Take To Make You Pick Up A Cookbook?

Post by Maroonbluebonnets »

Easy and healthy cookbooks are my go to. Honestly I'm about 50 times more likely to make something if it has a photo as well! And I agree with Sarah_Kahn, please don't send me on a wild goose hunt to find the lost city of Atlantis so I can find a rare or unusal ingredient! If I can't find all I need at my local HEB (Texan version of grocery stores) then I will pass ;)
ebeth
Currently Reading: The Color of Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebeth.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Reading Device: B0097BEFA4

Post by ebeth »

If someone gave me a really nice looking cookbook as a gift I would more than likely use it. Most of the ones I have are incredibly old and falling apart which doesn't make it that much fun to use.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
kanameyuutan30
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanameyuutan30.html

Post by kanameyuutan30 »

I would always consider the price and the content. I always go for dessert. <3 I love sweets. I rarely check cook books for main dishes.
Lesa
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lesa.html

Post by Lesa »

Good question!:)
#1 thing- Pictures of EVERY recipe is the best way to get me to pick up a cookbook. I want to know what the outcome is supposed to look like.:)

Nostalgia- Personal cookbooks with pictures and stories laced throughout add a nice touch that will have me picking up a cookbook.

Specialty cookbooks- Offers just what I'm looking for, whether it be a brownie cookbook, one on side dishes only, or a bbq cookbook. I love cookbooks that specialize.

I love it when cookbooks gives tips about the recipe. Share it's history (if it has one), or mention if it's a great one for company or to freeze ahead.
cjohns105
Currently Reading: The Diary Of An Immortal (1945-1959)
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cjohns105.html
Latest Review: "The bible's last message to a dying world" by Khurshid ali

Post by cjohns105 »

These days the cookbook would have to be absolutely packed with recipes. I could go on Pinterest for free and find nearly anything to cook, so how can I justify the expense of a cookbook? I will pick them up on clearance or at things like yard sales though, and then look through them for good recipes to try.
Latest Review: "The bible's last message to a dying world" by Khurshid ali
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I would pick up a cook book if it was simple enough for a cooking amateur like me to comprehend. Also, I agree that it has to be affordable.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
BookWormMommy
Currently Reading: The Chemist
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookwormmommy.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by BookWormMommy »

I have a large collection of cookbooks, but my favorite ones are the ones I pick up when I travel. I love to get a small local cuisine type cookbook to remember my trip and make some of my favorite local dishes when I return home. I'm also starting to pick up more speciality e-cookbooks if it is about something new I'm trying- like a gluten free instant pot one I just bought.
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD
Bulabo
Currently Reading: The Name of the Wind
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bulabo.html
Latest Review: "(Ways to) Lucena" by Mois Benarroch

Post by Bulabo »

I would grab anything that has to do with cooking desserts and sugary goodness
Latest Review: "(Ways to) Lucena" by Mois Benarroch
classicaltwist
Currently Reading: The Algorithm Design Manual
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-classicaltwist.html
Latest Review: "The Stealer of Memories" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by classicaltwist »

All the cookbooks I've picked up in the past few years are books recommended by chefs and food personalities that I respect, such as Alton Brown, Jacques Pépin, etc. Honestly, my cooking has improved really dramatically.
"The man who never alters his opinion is like standing water, and breeds reptiles of the mind." -- William Blake
Latest Review: "The Stealer of Memories" by Mois Benarroch
Kitkat3
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 1496">Milk and Honey</a>
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 254
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitkat3.html
Latest Review: A Bundle of Colorful Yarns by Louis Winslow

Post by Kitkat3 »

I look for unique recipes and just something that I cannot get online. Good formatting and beautiful photography help. I want a cookbook to be pretty and not only give me good ideas but also look good on a kitchen shelf. I tend to prefer hardback cookbooks versus paperback. My favorite are vintage cookbooks, in looks or actually vintage. I like shopping for used ones, because sometimes the previous owner will leave things in them like their personal recipes, and they are nice and cheap that way. :D
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

katiesquilts wrote:I love cookbooks so my opinion might be skewed, but when I have time to kill at the bookstore I like to look at cookbooks just to see if inspiration will hit me. Sometimes it's when you're flipping through that you see a simple recipe with interesting ingredients, cooked with a technique you'd never heard of before!

I'm not too picky about substituting ingredients and rarely make a recipe exactly as it's written, but learning the techniques means that you can make multiple variations of the same dish.
This person said everything I wanted to say. Photography is essential in cookbooks. I would buy a cookbook if I have to spend a long time without internet access and want to have a list of recipes handy.
Lolly_Reader
Favorite Book: Oils for the Beginner
Currently Reading: The Earthen Vessel
Bookshelf Size: 159

Post by Lolly_Reader »

it would take every restaurant in the world to close. Even then, I'd rather re-read every book in my collection first. Why follow anyone else's recipes when you can be creative yourself?
Suzieadong
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzieadong.html
Latest Review: "Keys to Tetouan" by Mois Benarroch

Post by Suzieadong »

I would pick a cookbook because I get to keep it and refer to it easily. There is so much information on the internet but the traditional hard cover book still speaks volumes to me.
Latest Review: "Keys to Tetouan" by Mois Benarroch
csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
fav_author_id: 2594

Post by csimmons032 »

I do mostly browse the internet for recipes, but my mother likes to look through cookbooks and sometimes she will come across good recipes. Sometimes I will peak through gluten free and vegan cook books because of allergies that I have. It can be fun to just see the different types of recipes that are out there.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

Probably my arm. :eusa-think: :eusa-whistle:
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8

Return to “Book, Cook, and Crafts”