What Would It Take To Make You Pick Up A Cookbook?

Welcome to The Book, Cook, and Crafts, the place where lovers of cooking can share cool recipes, get advice on cooking techniques and tips, recommend great cooking books, and chat about food. Also, members can discuss crafty things here.
byrstn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Re: What Would It Take To Make You Pick Up A Cookbook?

Post by byrstn »

Just hand it to me! :D I love cookbooks. And I actually use a few. :lol: AT one time I had upwards to 100 cookbooks. Moving and downsizing has cut that in half. My go to is still Joy of Cooking, but I also like regional favorites. I'm not a big user of recipes at the end of books. I don't think I have ever made any recipe from those.
Amh73090
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amh73090.html
Latest Review: "Another-Blended Not Shaken" by Sherrie L. Todd

Post by Amh73090 »

I absolutely love cookbooks. Unless I don't care for the meals in it or don't know what the foods are in the first place I will bring it home from the library.
Latest Review: "Another-Blended Not Shaken" by Sherrie L. Todd
Celticlady
Currently Reading: Josephine Baker's Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 3435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-celticlady.html
Latest Review: Betrayal in Blue by Mark M. Bello
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Celticlady »

With the internet so readily available for recipes, it would have to be an exceptional cookbook for me to pickup. I used to have over 100 cookbooks from before the internet but I ended up donating them. I found that I love using Pinterest for any recipes that I loved!
thesnowleopard
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... amilias</a>
Currently Reading: The Return of Sherlock Holmes
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thesnowleopard.html

Post by thesnowleopard »

I pick up cookbooks all the time. What I especially look for is one that might have different recipes or lost advice that didn't survive from one edition to the next. I also like to help local charities where I can. So, I'm always picking up older editions of popular books like Betty Crocker or Joy of Cooking, and "Ladies of the [pick local organization]" type books.
bruin
Currently Reading: Cracking the Genome
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bruin.html
Latest Review: Havana 1995 -english version- by Ileana Gonzalez Monserrat

Post by bruin »

The cookbooks that get my attention are the ones that have pictures for every recipe. I like to use very little ingredients and make quick meals.
npandit
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-npandit.html
Latest Review: "Travel Instincts" by James C. Jensen

Post by npandit »

Really good and unique recipes. Tried and true-- like David Lebovitz' "The Perfect Scoop".
Latest Review: "Travel Instincts" by James C. Jensen
Silvermoon
Currently Reading: That Place of Knowledge
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-silvermoon.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by Silvermoon »

I love to cook and have cooked from scratch my whole life, so I have been through a lot of cookbooks. As life changes so does ones eating habits and cookbook usage.

After getting ill and having to remove a lot of my favorite foods from my diet, I hated going into the kitchen for awhile. I had to learn to cook without dairy, meat and wheat. My recipes didn't turn out the same and my family didn't jump for joy at the dishes I turned out. Things change, we adapt.

Needless to say, I'm pretty picky about the cookbook I buy, but that doesn't change how much I love to read a good one. Good Photographs are nice and helpful. It must have easy to read and understand instructions and contain no processed foods in the recipes. Most importantly, it must have the scientific process behind the recipe.
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
writingnut
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by writingnut »

I am a cookbook collector. The cookbook that sells me would be one that has an easy layout, beautiful pictures and most of all, recipes that I would actually cook. When I pick up a cookbook and see that there are recipes that I could actually make for my family, it is a no brainer for me.
hwong
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hwong.html
Latest Review: "Blood Hunger" by Beck Robertson

Post by hwong »

I really like cookbooks that are a mix of personal stories behind each dish, DELICIOUS looking pictures, and clear instructions. Bonuses: variations of the recipe we can use and recipes without 5000 ingredients
Latest Review: "Blood Hunger" by Beck Robertson
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

I would have to say Variety (Main dishes/desserts/sides) within a niche (Italian/chinese etc.) and good photography!
cora_reads
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cora-reads.html

Post by cora_reads »

Definitely great photographs, that's a must.
Wasif Ahmed
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wasif-ahmed.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00THRCA6E
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

My mother not cooking food is all it should take for me to pick a cook book. :)
When people say you've changed, it just means that you have stopped living your life, their way.
Ashley 1820
Currently Reading: Rebecca
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-1820.html

Post by Ashley 1820 »

A sudden interest in cooking or a situation where I have to cook to live....(lol)....is going to make me pick up a cookbook..... :)
TAC
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tac.html
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by TAC »

Photography throughout, easy recipes with everyday ingredients and stories about the author and the recipes.
Cookbooks are definitely meant to only come in hardcover :wink:
lynnfoley7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lynnfoley7.html

Post by lynnfoley7 »

It is true that I use traditional cookbooks less and the internet more to find recipes. I do, however, still pick up the occasional cookbook. If a blogger that I really like (as in Skinnytaste or Chocolate Covered Katie) creates a cookbook, or a new book is published by a favorite chef/author, I might buy it. I like a lot of photos and ingredients that are not too hard to find.

I do confess that I am a Pinterest junkie and find many a recipe there.

Return to “Book, Cook, and Crafts”