What Would It Take To Make You Pick Up A Cookbook?

Welcome to The Book, Cook, and Crafts, the place where lovers of cooking can share cool recipes, get advice on cooking techniques and tips, recommend great cooking books, and chat about food. Also, members can discuss crafty things here.
R-Myra
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Keeper of Lost Things
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-myra.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Re: What Would It Take To Make You Pick Up A Cookbook?

Post by R-Myra »

I think my brother's persuasive nature will make me pick up the cookbook to prepare something for him. He always wants to eat something new that I should prepare for him. So he can be one of the reasons.
-R
book worm1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-worm1.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by book worm1 »

I love reading cookbooks. I will even read them in bed. Chances of me actually cooking anything from them are rather slim. When I do cook something from them I write the date I first used the recipe, any changes and if it tasted good. My own bit of history for the next time I venture into the kitchen.
EllieA
Currently Reading: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elliea.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by EllieA »

I chose cookbooks that have a feeling of place beyond a quick internet search. If I want something quick for dinner or a chocolate chip cookie recipe, I go to the internet. If I want to read about the place of cuisine within culture while browsing for a recipe that involves seafood, I might go grab The Silver Spoon or Mastering the Art of French Cooking. The same with something like a cookbook that features regional, time period, or otherwise related recipes-- I like having a local village cookbook available because it gives me a peek into local food culture over a period of time in a way that an internet search wouldn't.
EllieA
Currently Reading: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elliea.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by EllieA »

I chose cookbooks that have a feeling of place beyond a quick internet search. If I want something quick for dinner or a chocolate chip cookie recipe, I go to the internet. If I want to read about the place of cuisine within culture while browsing for a recipe that involves seafood, I might go grab The Silver Spoon or Mastering the Art of French Cooking. The same with something like a cookbook that features regional, time period, or otherwise related recipes-- I like having a local village cookbook available because it gives me a peek into local food culture over a period of time in a way that an internet search wouldn't.
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

It would be nice to include a story/ favorite memory including the recipe. Maybe include a photo/ handwriting of the writer of the recipe if it is a family recipe passed down to you.
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

I have a few cookbooks that I use when I want to try something new. Typically I use the internet when I have something in mind already but don't know the exact ingredients/measurements. It's easier to read from a cookbook, in my opinion.
MandyP
Favorite Book: Blood of Dreams
Currently Reading: Social Creature
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mandyp.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by MandyP »

not much i'm a cookbook hoarder! I really enjoy looking at yummy meals in the pictures...I might even try to make them sometimes haha
This too shall pass ~Edward Fitzgerald :roll: :doh:
Smiley 25
Currently Reading: Individual Advantages
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smiley-25.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by Smiley 25 »

My go-to for recipes these days is Pinterest. It's easier for me a lot of times to just type in what I want to cook and to have a ton of options at hand. What would make me look at/buy an actual cookbook would be the recipes inside, the pictures, and the author's story. If the recipes are some that I have never seen before then I would be more likely to pick it up. If there were pictures to show the finished dish, or even better, the process of making the finished dish, I would really like it. The top for me would be if the author were to include personal stories that talked about where the recipes came from, how they were developed or changed over time, and how they use them. I recently read Reese Witherspoon's cookbook Whiskey in a Teacup. Originally I got it from the library because I wasn't sure if I would like it or not. After reading it, I've added it to my Christmas wish list. Reese tells the story of her love for cooking, how her Grandmother influenced that love, and shares some of her family's personal recipes. Along the way she also shares ideas about the different kinds of events you may use these recipes for. I love that all of this is weaved together!
Florence Nalianya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-florence-nalianya.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Florence Nalianya »

U get them online at a friendly cost and that's when I want to try cook something that I crave for and have no idea how to cook.
Wanja Hannah
Currently Reading: From Liberty to Magnolia: In Search of the American Dream
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wanja-hannah.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Wanja Hannah »

Unless the book contains where to get the food, I wouldn't go for a cook book. Recipes are all over internet and even better in video form.
Wanja Kenya
Corina Elena
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corinaelena.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black

Post by Corina Elena »

I actually have a small list of cookbooks I would like to buy. Just the ideea of gavjng those colorful, beautiful books in my kitchen sounds fantastic! I am also a vegan, so purchasing a cook book would also mean supporting someone with the same beliefs as me.
Thehorselover
Currently Reading: Irma's Daughters
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thehorselover.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick

Post by Thehorselover »

If they were part of a story I would be more interested, since I love to read.
Browneh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-browneh.html
Latest Review: Spyder Bones by Oliver Phipps
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Browneh »

I love themed cookbooks - around TV shows, movies, books, etc. My friend got me a "Fifty shades of chicken" cookbook for my birthday this year!
leximutia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leximutia.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by leximutia »

Perhaps if the cookbook had a guide on cooking techniques in addition to recipes, I would be more tempted to pick it up. If there was some sort of theme, like recipes from a certain culture, that would also help.

It's just that with all the information available on the internet, it would be hard to find a cookbook that offered something new, something more.
Netvigator72
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netvigator72.html
Latest Review: Kindred Journeys by Marjorie Tapley-Olson

Post by Netvigator72 »

One with uncomplicated recipes that require easily accessible ingredients.

Return to “Book, Cook, and Crafts”