Traditional dishes in your country

Welcome to The Book, Cook, and Crafts, the place where lovers of cooking can share cool recipes, get advice on cooking techniques and tips, recommend great cooking books, and chat about food. Also, members can discuss crafty things here.
Christianne Tapar
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Traditional dishes in your country

Post by Christianne Tapar »

Hi, Im from the Philippines and one of my favorite traditional dish is ADOBO, its very simple to make. You can use chicken meat, pork meat or mixed chicken and pork . You just have to prepare soy sauce, vinegar, garlic and pepper. Mix all of them in a pan with one cup water and add the chicken or pork and wait for it to boil until the meat is cooked. And ready to serve with rice.
ermalbr
Bookshelf Size: 28

Post by ermalbr »

Hello,i am from Albania. One of the traditional dishes in my country is "japrak"
Making this Albanian Japrak with vine leaves or as a replacement try cabbage leaves – they are just as tasty. Ensure you let the whole cabbage sit in boiling water for 10 minutes before gently peeling back the leaves so they don’t break.
You can boil stuffed leaves in a tomato based sauce too and I find that cabbage leaves work best for this.
mandalee519
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mandalee519.html
Latest Review: "Purgatory a rockstars journey into hell" by Jennifer Nickell
Reading Device: B00IOVUXL8

Post by mandalee519 »

I'm American, but I am of Latin descent and my family is always making Spanish dishes. My favorite dessert, I consider a treat, is flan. I could eat flan every day, thrice a day, and would not complain!
Latest Review: "Purgatory a rockstars journey into hell" by Jennifer Nickell
uyky
Favorite Author: Charles de Lint
Currently Reading: Tapping the Dream Tree
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uyky.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
fav_author_id: 6861

Post by uyky »

I'm from slovenia. There is a lot of traditional dishes, but the most known are kranjske klobase (sort of sausages), ajdovi žganci (buckwheat porridge), kremšnita and gibanica (these two are desserts).
zoiebryle09

Post by zoiebryle09 »

:drool: hi! i am from Philippines. One of my favorite dishes that I wanna share to u is the CRAB IN COCONUT CREAM or what we call GINATAANG ALIMASAG. Everytime we have this dish, me and my family would really enjoy because this is so flavorful, not just the crab but the sauce as well. We mix the sauce to our rice (best if served hot) and mmmmhhhh.. all of us will be speechless! I recommend this dish when having a family gathering or dining with friends.. 👍
Miss joanna

Post by Miss joanna »

I am from philippines. Our traditional is "Adobong Manok" it is made of chicken with soysauce and vinegar with a little bit pepper and salt to taste..This dish is quite popular in my country its very tasty and hope will try this dish😃
Kikone13

Post by Kikone13 »

The traditional dish in my country, that may be known to other countries is "halo halo". I'm from Philippines

It's a dessert made with shaved ice, a lot of different fruits, assorted nuts, ube ice cream on top, and it's drizzled with milk.

You can add more into it but that's how we make it ^-^ it's very delicious you should try it
ebriana1112

Post by ebriana1112 »

Pork caldereta. This is a must try filipino recipe.
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

I grew up in rural Michigan and the closest thing to a "traditional dish" I had growing up was boiled meat and potatoes...yum :?

Since meeting my cajun husband though, I've come to embrace many of his traditional dishes as my own.

I adore making shrimp and sausage gumbo, dirty rice, jambalaya etc.
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
Govi3333

Post by Govi3333 »

Iam from Hyderabad and our favourite dish is all types of non veg beryanies all of will also like
Mailis
Currently Reading: The Employee Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mailis.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Mailis »

I think traditional Estonian dishes that you cannot usually find in other countries are blood sausage (considered kind of Christmas food), jellied meat (sounds disgusting but it is actually main course food, not dessert and is actually very good with potatoes), potato salad (with mayonnaise and sour cream) and herring with sour-cream. Also one thing that every Estonian living abroad usually misses is chocolate covered curd-snack and dark bread.
Tzara Drusak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tzara-drusak.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by Tzara Drusak »

Aye, Jamaica. My people love sugar and spice and everything nice. It's no surprise then that our most popular dish is the Ackee & Saltfish. This is normally accompanied by boiled green bananas, dumplings and yam. We are a tea people, but love sorrel, porridge and soup as well.

Other dishes worth mentioning are curried and jerked foods, beetroot and pumpkin juice, and our bammy and roti.
And in the end, we were all just humans... Drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness.

-F. Scott Fitzgerald-
Blesam1

Post by Blesam1 »

I am a Nigerian. My Traditional food is Bitterleaf Soup made with cocoyam and served with Fufu, every one adores this food so much that we can't do without it.
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

If you visit India, it is a must for you to try three things:

1. Vada Pav (yum!) - Made with mashed potato and onion, deep fried in chickpea flour (besan), and eaten with a type of bread.

2. Masala dosa - Crepes made with rice and lentil batter and filled with potato and onion

3. Aloo parantha - Thick(ish) bread stuffed with a spicy potato filling

Yeah, they are all spicy. So, I don't know how much most tourists can have though :wink:
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
Magz1975

Post by Magz1975 »

Pork or Beef Fritada

Fritada is very popular on the islands.. The locals prepare it as a delicacy dish for all occasions! A live pig or cow is killed and while the meat of all body parts are used in several different dishes, the inside of the animal like intestines and other organs are cleaned and cut down into small pieces.. The blood of the animal is collected and diluted with distilled vinegar.. The intestine and organs are then boiled in a pot of hot water with lemon grass for at least 20-30 minutes then, the lemon grass is removed and the water is drained.. Onions and garlic are chopped! The pork of beef parts are put aside. In the same pot added vegetable oil then the onions and garlic.. After that follows the pork or beef parts while stirring salt, and black pepper, are added then, water is added again but this time only to cover or level to the pork or beef parts or half way up.. We bring it to a boil then slowly pour in the blood and vinegar mixture while stirring until it's thicken! Continue stirring for at least another 5 minutes then shot off the heat! Best served on top of hot rice drizzled with hot sauce!

Return to “Book, Cook, and Crafts”