Traditional dishes in your country

Welcome to The Book, Cook, and Crafts, the place where lovers of cooking can share cool recipes, get advice on cooking techniques and tips, recommend great cooking books, and chat about food. Also, members can discuss crafty things here.
Aisha Jamil
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Traditional dishes in your country

Post by Aisha Jamil »

My favorite traditional dish is chicken krahi.
Choichoi

Post by Choichoi »

I'm from Philippines and our famous dish is adobo..😘😘 it's very easy affordable and simple dish that even foreigners lovin the taste of it..
J_D_Allen
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 44

Post by J_D_Allen »

A very delicious caribou meal. The fastest is frying meat nice and seared. Add 1 cup of water, bring to a boil and add your hand full of oats. Stir until thick and enjoy with salt and pepper if desired.
ARUSO
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by ARUSO »

My name is Terry from Kenya.we have several traditional foods here but I will talk of one called "githeri;It consists of soft green maize and red beans boiled together then after its ready fry it mixing in potatoes, carrots, cabbage or any vegetables of your choice and herbs or spices.very healthy and sweet meal.
Faith Mhizha
Currently Reading: Love's Healing Power
Bookshelf Size: 24

Post by Faith Mhizha »

I am from Zimbabwe. Our traditional dish is sadza (pap) with relish rape and chicken or beef. The meat can be either stew or roasted. We have managed to convert several people to like our sadza.
Mercyejiro

Post by Mercyejiro »

I am from Nigeria, we have a lot of them but my favourite is "owo soup served with starch" .owo soup is made with cassava flakes and best cooked with dried stock fish.
Onyero

Post by Onyero »

Im From Nigeria In Delta State And My Favorite Food Is Ogbono Soup And Akpu
thaservices1
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thaservices1.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by thaservices1 »

I am originally from the U.S. Southeast. The traditional dish we had every year there was poke salad. It is a wild growing green that few outside of the SE know about. The plant is picked of leaves and stalks before they purple in the summer due to toxicity. The leaves are added to mustard and collard greens to stretch the meal. The stalks are peeled and breaded and fried. We often combined them with okra for the fried dish. The berries of the plant are very toxic but make a rich purple/pink color for natural dye projects.
"It is not the critic that counts..."
- Roosevelt
thaservices1
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thaservices1.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by thaservices1 »

e-tasana-williams wrote: 01 Jul 2016, 14:40 OK so I'm from the U.S., but my favorite traditional dish is black eye peas. I thought everyone knew about these, and I was talking to a coworker about them. She asked me to repeat what I'd said, and then told me the only black eye peas she'd ever heard of was the music group! I brought her some the next day, and now she's hooked :D

So the way I like them is slowly simmered in water to cover, with a bay leaf, ham hock/ham bone, salt and pepper to taste, until the peas are super tender and they've created their own gravy. Mmmm-mm-MMMM! I could eat these every day, but we definitely make sure to eat them on New Year's Eve. Tradition says they bring prosperity for the coming year. :P
I know what those are! They go great with poke salad! We used to make what my Mom called sukotash. It was black eyed peas, corn and yellow squash. Sometimes she added tomatoes and egg noodles and called it goolash. I have found since that those names apply to totally different dishes😂
"It is not the critic that counts..."
- Roosevelt
Ian Preston
Currently Reading: The Reel Sisters
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Ian Preston »

Am from Kenya. Our traditional food is Ugali and Chicken( from Luyha tradition)
Sheridon

Post by Sheridon »

My name is Sheridon from Nigeria, our traditional dish is the Nigerian jollof rice. It's very easy to prepare and very sumptuous. Who needs some jollof rice? Visit Nigeria and have it delivered to you.
HailKingEbi
Currently Reading: The Notebook
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hailkingebi.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by HailKingEbi »

Jollof rice, eaten roughly every Sunday. its beautiful.
We're all puppets, Laurie. I'm just a puppet who can see the strings - Doctor Manhattan.
perthy

Post by perthy »

As someone from the Philippines, our unofficial dish is Adobo. The meat can either be chicken, pork, or beef. It's also basically just soy sauce and vinegar mixed together cooked to a stew. Mix some pepper in, and voila. You got your Adobo. Soooo good!! Should be eaten with rice.
Noraine Alissa Poria
Currently Reading: Bro Code
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noraine-alissa-poria.html
Latest Review: The Making Of A Con by Grace Larson

Post by Noraine Alissa Poria »

There are a lot of traditional food in our country, which is the Philippines but my favorite is adobo. You can use pork meat or chicken meat. It is easy to cook but if you do it right, it will be really delicious.
Uche B
Currently Reading: China rich girlfriend
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uche-b.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Uche B »

I come from Nigeria, a country with multiple ethnic groups, so we have so many traditional dishes. In fact, each ethnic group has many dishes.
"Life is more than unpainted fences" - Nomnso Mordi.

Return to “Book, Cook, and Crafts”