Traditional dishes in your country

Welcome to The Book, Cook, and Crafts, the place where lovers of cooking can share cool recipes, get advice on cooking techniques and tips, recommend great cooking books, and chat about food. Also, members can discuss crafty things here.
ktom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ktom.html
Latest Review: Trip to Adele by R I Alyaseer and A I Alyaseer

Re: Traditional dishes in your country

Post by ktom »

I´m American, but I have been traveling through Europe for the last three years, and there is a traditional dish that people make in the Northern part of Spain that is totally delicious called Fabada. It´s basically a white bean stew with sausage and chorizo and it´s such a popular dish, you can even find it in your local supermarket in a can. If you prefer to make this dish from scratch, you can stop by the butcher shop as they have vacuum sealed bags of fresh white beans with sausage and chorizo ready for purchase.

The dish is quite simple to make. If you choose, you can soak the beans overnight and in the morning, put them in a shallow casserole dish and cover with water and bring to a boil. Once the beans are boiling, add the sausage and chorizo and cook on high heat for about 30 minutes. Add 1/2 a white onion and four cloves of garlic and continue to cook on low heat for two more hours. You may wish to add a bit more water during the two hours of cooking to ensure the stew´s consistency. Let cool for an hour and remove the chorizo and sausage to cut into small, bite-sized pieces. Add salt and pepper to taste and serve with a piece of crusty bread and a glass of Rioja. Enjoy!
Terus1812
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Terus1812 »

Hi im from Philippines 😊theres a lot of traditional dishes at my country but one of the best food call adobo

Adobo a Filipino dish of chicken or pork stewed in vinegar, garlic, soy sauce, bay leaves, and peppercorns. Theres alot of techniques of cooking this type of food 😊
apple1233

Post by apple1233 »

I am from jamaica and my traditional dish stew peas and white rice. Its is normally done on a Wednesday at local restaurant, and it is most made of red peas or whatever peas you wish to had, with chicken foot, pig tail, salt beef, chicken, whatever meat you wish to put inside the stew. it is well spicy and trust me it's something you can't get enough off. it is usually serve with white rice.
TEECEE33

Post by TEECEE33 »

Sorghum and seswaa. Seswaa is pounded beef meat.
justinaabeng
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by justinaabeng »

Am From Nigeria,my Favourite Tradition Is Amala With Gbegiri Soup.Its So Lovely And Its Gives So Much Energy.
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Kristy Khem »

I'm from Trinidad and Tobago (a twin-island nation in the Caribbean) and we have several traditional dishes here. We've got:

1. Bake and Shark (A fried dough pocket stuffed with fried shark, salad, pineapple slices and condiments)
2. Callaloo (A soupy stew of dasheen leaves and coconut milk, sometimes crabs or meat is added)
3. Doubles (The most popular street food. It's a saucy, spicy sandwich of thinly fried dough called barra and curried garbanzo beans.
4. Pelau (A one-pot meal of rice, peas, and meat, infused with coconut milk)
Cate winslet
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Cate winslet »

I'm from Africa my traditional food is roast meat... beef or Mutton ...
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayoomisope.html
Latest Review: Absolute Truth by Joab Russo

Post by ayoomisope »

I am a Nigerian from the yoruba tribe.Our traditional dish is "amala and ewedu soup.Amala could be made from processed yam or plantain turned flour while ewedu is a local vegetable grown in some part of the country.
“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.”
― Charles William Eliot
Cate winslet
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Cate winslet »

I'm African we do mukimo... made from peas and maize..
Samisah
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samisah.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Samisah »

I am Nigeria and I come from the middle belt. in my tribe, our best dish is obo-egwa and ojeh. the obo-ewga is made from beans, its a kind of delicious soup while the Ojeh, is a kind of swallow made from corn. it's a popular recipe in Nigeria.
salman jm

Post by salman jm »

Foods in Sri Lanka can be hot or very mild or
can be combination being very much a question
of individual preference. Sri Lanka n food is
unique for their Culture. Many Sinhala food
items are derived from Chena cultivation. Sri
Lanka n cuisine plays a vital role in the
islanders’ life from the most auspicious
Sinhala/ Hindu New Year to normal day-to-day
practices. They make milk rice and special
sweets with coconut milk, floor and Honey at
cultural festivals. It is recognized as one of the
sixty- four types of art, “Siu Seta kalawa”. The
curries come in many verities of colors and
flavors blended in Sri Lankan Hot Spices has a
great ayurvedic value when used in curries.
Most of the Sri Lanka ns eat vegetables. With a
large community of farmers the Rice and curry
is the main food in Sri Lanka . Sri Lanka curries
are known for their fiery hot spicy flavors and
coconut milk is very distinct feature of Sri
Lanka n cuisine that different regions of
country specialize in different types of dishes.
The specialty in Sri Lankan food is that same
food is differently made in different regions.
Dishes from the North region of Sri Lanka have
distinct south Indian flavors.
Dishes from the South region of Sri Lanka can
be Spicy, Hot or Mild. The meals of the
southern region of Sri Lanka are known for
their variety and fishing village though the
coastal strip. Ambulthiyal a unique spicy fish
preparation with thick gamboges “Goraka”
paste Etc.... thanks
Sridhar-Padma

Post by Sridhar-Padma »

India is a country of different cultures and traditions. There are 29 states and 7 union territories that has it's own traditional dish of their own culture. I am from the southern State of India known as Tamil Nadu, which follows strict traditional and cultural practices.
Sakarai (sweet) pongal is very traditional dish that is made on the day of Pongal which is celebrated as Tamil new year. Each and every household in Tamil Nadu makes Pongal(dish) on the day of Pongal. :lol:
Pongal can not be celebrated without making this sweet pongal dish. It's very easy to make by just boiling raw rice and moong dal with water and milk( must). After it is done, mix in jaggery, cardamom powder, fried cashews, raisins and ghee. That's it. Pongal is ready to be presented to God for worship and to be served for our taste buds :lol:
Parpetual

Post by Parpetual »

I am from kenya I love Githeri this is simply maize mixed with beans I bet its the best dish
Aituaje
Currently Reading: Heaven and Earth
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aituaje.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Aituaje »

I am from Nigeria, and there are several dishes that I absolutely love! One of them is called garri which is made from dried, ground, cassava that's cooked with water. This is typically eaten with some sort of soup: okra soup, peanut butter soup, melon soup, etc.

You can also eat the garri raw. We call this soaked garri; it's garri, milk, and sugar all mixed together. Peanuts can also be added to give a little extra crunch.
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

I’m from the UK and I think the Sunday roast is our older tradition.
A curry is now our newer tradition.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.

Return to “Book, Cook, and Crafts”