Traditional dishes in your country

Welcome to The Book, Cook, and Crafts, the place where lovers of cooking can share cool recipes, get advice on cooking techniques and tips, recommend great cooking books, and chat about food. Also, members can discuss crafty things here.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Traditional dishes in your country

Post by gali »

What's your traditional dish? Share it with us.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
e-tasana-williams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-tasana-williams.html
Latest Review: Monkey Mind Madness by Sharon Dorival
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by e-tasana-williams »

OK so I'm from the U.S., but my favorite traditional dish is black eye peas. I thought everyone knew about these, and I was talking to a coworker about them. She asked me to repeat what I'd said, and then told me the only black eye peas she'd ever heard of was the music group! I brought her some the next day, and now she's hooked :D

So the way I like them is slowly simmered in water to cover, with a bay leaf, ham hock/ham bone, salt and pepper to taste, until the peas are super tender and they've created their own gravy. Mmmm-mm-MMMM! I could eat these every day, but we definitely make sure to eat them on New Year's Eve. Tradition says they bring prosperity for the coming year. :P
Once you learn to read, you will be forever free ~ Frederick Douglas
gali

Post by gali »

Eatsleaves wrote:OK so I'm from the U.S., but my favorite traditional dish is black eye peas. I thought everyone knew about these, and I was talking to a coworker about them. She asked me to repeat what I'd said, and then told me the only black eye peas she'd ever heard of was the music group! I brought her some the next day, and now she's hooked :D

So the way I like them is slowly simmered in water to cover, with a bay leaf, ham hock/ham bone, salt and pepper to taste, until the peas are super tender and they've created their own gravy. Mmmm-mm-MMMM! I could eat these every day, but we definitely make sure to eat them on New Year's Eve. Tradition says they bring prosperity for the coming year. :P
Didn't hear of it either, but it sounds good. Could you take a pic of it next time you cook it and share it here? Thank you for sharing. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
e-tasana-williams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-tasana-williams.html
Latest Review: Monkey Mind Madness by Sharon Dorival
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by e-tasana-williams »

Sure thing!
Once you learn to read, you will be forever free ~ Frederick Douglas
Maroon Kash
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maroon-kash.html

Post by Maroon Kash »

The traditional dish is yumm BIRYANI! I am from India and the best traditional dish in our family is Biryani. It is made of chicken marinated in exotic spices with rice. Usually a gravy of chicken is made and then rice is cooked with the gravy. Oh its the best! :D
gali

Post by gali »

Maroon Kash wrote:The traditional dish is yumm BIRYANI! I am from India and the best traditional dish in our family is Biryani. It is made of chicken marinated in exotic spices with rice. Usually a gravy of chicken is made and then rice is cooked with the gravy. Oh its the best! :D
Sounds yummy indeed!
A retired Admin/Mod

Utpal K Khot
Currently Reading: Green Lady
Bookshelf Size: 50

Post by Utpal K Khot »

Sangameshwar is a taluka in the Konkan region falling in the Ratnagiri district and has a food history when it comes to spicy coastal food, happening on the sangam of the two rivers Sonavi and Shastri. The food is just awesome and tourists come from far and wide to taste the chicken preparation of this area. Today I am presenting the famous Sangameshwari chicken. This is especially eaten as a Protein and Fats booster in winters.

Sangameshwari Chicken.

Recipe Ingredients

Chicken chunks 1 kg
Khada Garam Masala (Cloves4-6, Cinnamon inch long, 6-8 cloves of Garlic, poppy seeds 2 tsp, Black Cardamom1)
Dry Coconut powder 1 cup
Ghee 4-6 Tbsp
Ginger one inch piece
Garlic 8-10 cloves
Fresh Coriander 1 cup
Green chili 4-6
Onions 4-5 (fine chopped)
Black pepper 1 Tbsp
Red chili powder- as needed
Coconut Milk extract (from half coconut, freshly made)
Lime juice – 2 Tbsp

Recipe Preparation

Marinade:
Paste of ginger, garlic, fresh coriander, green chili and some salt to be applied to the whole chicken chunks.
Marinate for 1-2 hours.
Put 2 tbsp ghee on a pan/ tawa and add some powdered dry coconut.
Add the khada garam masala (cloves, cinnamon, 6-8 cloves of garlic, poppy seeds, black cardamom)
Fry all this till you get a brownish color. Remove and let it cool.
Add little water and make a paste. Keep aside.
Take 2-3 tbsp of ghee in a deep pan and add 1 tablespoon salt and onions. Fry.
Add whole black pepper 1 tbsp and red chili powder. Fry.
Add the (garam masala and dry coconut) paste.
Add marinated chicken to it and cover the pan with a lid.
Keep some water in the lid and cook on low to medium flame for 10 minutes.
Remove the lid and stir. Add coconut milk extracted from half coconut (freshly made preferred)
Cook again without covering with lid for 10 minutes.
Add 1 full lemon juice and stir.
I prefer dry chicken, you can keep gravy if you wish to.
Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with Jeera rice, Indian breads or Roti.
Fight winters and relish the Sangameshwari Chicken taste throughout.. :)

My Tip: Always use the first extract of the coconut to get best results.
Natasha_Smith
Currently Reading: Harvest Night
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natasha-smith.html

Post by Natasha_Smith »

These all sound yummy! I'm Canadian, so naturally the dish has got to be poutine. Fries, gravy, and melted cheese. Usually it calls for cheese curds, but I have found grated mozza cheese to be more delicious! :)
Janujanani
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janujanani.html

Post by Janujanani »

I am from India but currently living in California . I am from southern part of India and speak 2 languages and a big foodie. So I cook almost all kinds of food that Indians enjoy. I have learned to master my cooking skills by exploring and learning dishes from tamilnadu, andhra , Karnataka , Kerala , Punjab, Gujarati and many more. I really can't pick just one traditional food from my hometown but the most popular breakfast is idly, dosa, sambar n coconut chutney and vada . All Indian loves this and even Americans
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I'm Dominican, born and raised in America. Traditional food (and ones that I love) are rice, beans, chicken, and tostones (fried plantains)!! I absolutely love tostones! :D
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Amh73090
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amh73090.html
Latest Review: "Another-Blended Not Shaken" by Sherrie L. Todd

Post by Amh73090 »

I'm from new England but I'm a 1/4 Polish so I'd say pierogies a pasta dough filled with anything from potatoes and cheese to cabbage.
Latest Review: "Another-Blended Not Shaken" by Sherrie L. Todd
Booky_BettyC
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 55482">Hex Hall</a>
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booky-bettyc.html
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel

Post by Booky_BettyC »

Cabbage rolls are my ultimate favourite. My great grandma use to make her own sour cabbage and make her own specially spiced beef or pork, sometimes both, and rice for the filling. She also made her own red sauce for them. I live in Canada, but when I think of traditional food right away I think of my Ukrainian heritage.
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel
Loverockers
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... lations</a>
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-loverockers.html
Latest Review: "Contemplations" by Lisa M. Gott

Post by Loverockers »

I'm not sure why, but Biryani is quite a popular dish in my home country. It's a dish involving boiled rice (dyed yellow), spices, and some sort of meat. People are crazy about the dish as it serves as an entire meal. And oh yeah, if you throw in some whipped yogurt with finely cut cucumbers, it'll be delicious!
Latest Review: "Contemplations" by Lisa M. Gott
Cristina
Bookshelf Size: 3117
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by Cristina »

Natasha_Smith wrote:These all sound yummy! I'm Canadian, so naturally the dish has got to be poutine. Fries, gravy, and melted cheese. Usually it calls for cheese curds, but I have found grated mozza cheese to be more delicious! :)
This sounds so delicious! I can't believe I never thought about gravy and cheese on fries! We make cheese fries a lot and have made chili-cheese fries. Do you use brown gravy or any kind, (chicken, sausage, etc)?

I am in Alaska now, (salmon is common here), but growing up in the lower 48 we had biscuits and gravy every Saturday with Scottish Eggs, (basically boiled eggs covered in sausage and fried). I still make this breakfast though not as often.
lily_kh87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lily-kh87.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by lily_kh87 »

I am from Jordan. Our traditional dish is called "Mansaf". It is a dish made of lamb cooked in a sauce of dried yogurt and served with rice. You have to try it :D

Return to “Book, Cook, and Crafts”