Traditional dishes in your country

Welcome to The Book, Cook, and Crafts, the place where lovers of cooking can share cool recipes, get advice on cooking techniques and tips, recommend great cooking books, and chat about food. Also, members can discuss crafty things here.
Eniefiok Goodnews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eniefiok-goodnews.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Re: Traditional dishes in your country

Post by Eniefiok Goodnews »

Am from Nigeria, have ever heard of garri and soup or pounded yam. these are just two out of hundreds of our traditional food.
Adams Rabi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Adams Rabi »

Am from Ghana and we have several traditional dishes but my favorite is tubani and powdered pepper and salt plus groundnut oil
Joedy2+

Post by Joedy2+ »

Re: Traditional dish in my country

I am from Jamaica and our traditional dish is rice and peas and fried chicken, this usually serve on a Sunday.
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 776
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

Huh? My traditional dish? All American: pizza and salad.
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
Aishat Rabiu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aishat-rabiu.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Aishat Rabiu »

I am a Nigerian and in Nigeria, there are diverse cultures. I am from Yoruba ethnic group of Nigeria. A very interesting set of people with symptous foods like iyan, fufu, eba, amala and so on... With different soups like ewedu, gbegiri, ila, orunla, egusi, efo and so on. The one common to my locality is amala and abula. Amala is made from grinded yam while abula is the combination of two soups: gbegiri and ewedu. Gbegiri is a soup made from beans and ewedu is a type of vegetable that is mashed to form paste like soup. This combination will leave your watery forever!
Narmatha

Post by Narmatha »

Iam from india....India is meant for its tradition.... different dishes with variety of taste are there.....idly ,dosa made from rice flour with coconut chutney makes the best combination.....rice, briyani, chapathi, sambhar, rasam where one can taste sweet, sour, salt ,mirchi, bitter all in one dish...People of India give more impotance to the food and hence they cultivate the needed food items in their own land and use it for their cooking
Fausat_Abidemi
Currently Reading:

Post by Fausat_Abidemi »

I am from Nigeria,I belong to the Yoruba tribe.
"Amala" and "Ewedu" is our popular traditional food.Amala is generally made with,banana flour,yam flour or cassava flour.its depends on the one you really prefer.
Amala is made by keeping an amount of water in a pot until it fully heated,after which we add our prefer flour and stir until a batter is formed;then add little water and let it heat for few more minutes then stir together until the batter fament the water.when there is no longer tracing of water and the batter is been neatly stirred;we can they pour in a warmer until is ready to be served.
Next is "Ewedu" this is the popular soup which is best in eating our Amala I.e banana flour,ewedu is a vegetable leaf plant commonly found in Nigeria ,especially among the Yoruba tribes,the leaves are be cut into pieces and wash in other to removed the dirty and pour in a boil water in a pot and cook for few minutes until the leaves becomes soft,then we add locust beans which is called iru among the Yoruba tribe,then we add little salt n cray fish.After which we mix until we form a paste of it.
When the paste is formed is ready to be severed.trust me you can try it ,I know you will love it.its really delicious n mouth watering.
Eileen R
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Currently Reading: Toni the Superhero
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eileen-r.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD

Post by Eileen R »

I'm Kenyan and my favorite traditional dish is matoke. It's to die for.
simplymica26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-simplymica26.html
Latest Review: Devilish by Tricia Barr

Post by simplymica26 »

I'm from the Philippines and we have lots of traditional food. Our famous Adobo, Sisig, Crispy Lechon and Sinigang. I'll share my favorite which is Chicken Adobo.

Ingredients
2 lbs. chicken, cut into serving pieces
3 pieces dried bay leaves
4 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp vinegar
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 to 2 cups water
¼ cup cooking oil
½ tablespoon white sugar
Salt and whole peppercorn
Instructions
In a large container, combine the soy sauce and garlic then marinade the chicken for at least 1 to 3 hours
Place the cooking oil in a pan and apply heat
When the oil is hot enough, put-in the marinated chicken. Cook all the sides for about 5 minutes.
Pour-in the remaining marinade and add water. Bring to a boil
Add the dried bay leaves and whole peppercorn. Simmer for 30 minutes or until the chicken is tender
Add vinegar. Stir and cook for 10 minutes.
Put-in the sugar, and salt. Stir and turn the heat off.
Serve hot. Share and Enjoy!
Sensen033

Post by Sensen033 »

I am from in Venezuela. My tradition dish in my country is “Pabellon”.
Pabellón has shredded beef, black beans, plantain and white rice with Parmesan cheese on top to the black beans..
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

From the US. Macaroni and cheese but not just any mac and cheese.My favorite takes about an hour to make and there's about 4 different kinds of cheese in it.
:techie-studyingbrown:
Moonlight91
Currently Reading: Serial K Returns
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Moonlight91 »

In Austria it might be "Schnitzel" or "Knödel" (different dumplings)

But I am staying in South Africa now and here it is all about the "Braai". Barbecuing with your friends and family. (Often combined with watching rugby) :D
pinky nyambura

Post by pinky nyambura »

Am from kenya githeri is the popular and favourite traditional meal know for its energizing ..it yummy when smashed with potatoes it more sweet when served together with fried chicken..when you taste it you will crown it.
mrsreid

Post by mrsreid »

I didn't know that dish too🤔 hoping to taste that soon😊
Riszell
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 1041
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riszell.html
Latest Review: Chancing Hope by Lisa Slater

Post by Riszell »

Chicken and/or Pork Adobo is one of my favorites from Filipino dishes. Hello there fellow booklovers from the Philippines! :cooking:

Return to “Book, Cook, and Crafts”