Food from books

Welcome to The Book, Cook, and Crafts, the place where lovers of cooking can share cool recipes, get advice on cooking techniques and tips, recommend great cooking books, and chat about food. Also, members can discuss crafty things here.
EllieA
Currently Reading: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elliea.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Re: Food from books

Post by EllieA »

I used to obsess over the food in the Redwall books-- we tried to make things like strawberry cordial and some of the other sweets.
KasieMiehlke
Currently Reading: The Hidden Village
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasiemiehlke.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Post by KasieMiehlke »

I was always interested in trying some of the food from The Redwall series. The foods sounded so delicious, I couldn't wait to try them. I have found a recipe book for the foods, but have yet to purchase it.
Wyocate
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Wyocate »

Has anyone read the book Julie and Julia: My Year of Cooking Dangerously by Julie Powell.

It is a great book that was made into an equally great movie. I like when a movie closely follows the book.

I have never tried any of the recipes by Julia Child. But I want to!! My fear of failure is what holds me back. I mean, c'mon, Julia Child IS the piece de resistance of cooking!
Eileen R
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Currently Reading: Toni the Superhero
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eileen-r.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD

Post by Eileen R »

Not really but if I get the chance I definitely will.
P0tt3ry
Favorite Book: The Dresden Files
Currently Reading: The Reel Sisters
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p0tt3ry.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by P0tt3ry »

If you're a Patricia Cornwall fan, this is the cookbook for you: Food to Die For: Secrets from Kay Scarpetta's Kitchen. I've tried a number of the recipes for meals cooked by Kay in the books. They all turned out well.
nikkyteewhy
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Currently Reading: Dues
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikkyteewhy.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by nikkyteewhy »

Oh yes I have, but more often, I try food after seeing them in a movie. My taste buds salivates after reading about a food or seeing food on the television.
Riszell
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 1041
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riszell.html
Latest Review: Chancing Hope by Lisa Slater

Post by Riszell »

When I learned that there's an IHOP in the Philippines, we tried their pancakes. I only known of the said restaurant through Fifty Shades of Grey when I read the book and was dying to try their pancakes ever since that.
Lil Reads
Currently Reading: Chip’s World: Complex #31 and The Caretaker
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lil-reads.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Lil Reads »

I'm not the best cook, so I've saved recipes to try with my more talented relatives.

Someone created a recipe book based on food mentioned in The Chronicles of Narnia; I really wanted to try some of the savory dishes.

In the original run of American Girl Samantha Parkington, a rich girl raised by her grandmother in 1904 New York, ate watercress sandwiches and they sounded like great summer snacks. I am still frustrated I've never been able to find watercress.
:coffee3-smiley: :auto-mysterymachine:
Noraine Alissa Poria
Currently Reading: Bro Code
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noraine-alissa-poria.html
Latest Review: The Making Of A Con by Grace Larson

Post by Noraine Alissa Poria »

I can't remember what book that is, but there's this book that has a chef as a main character. And there's an additional recipe from the book that the main character had cook, and I tried copying it but it was horrible.
fictaddict
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictaddict.html
Latest Review: MY FRIEND Marilyn by Christopher Lentz

Post by fictaddict »

Yes! I read a Barbara Taylor Bradford novel where the characters loved Yorkshire pudding and bread-and-drippings, so I tried to make a roast with those things. Yorkshire pudding came out nice, but bread and dripping was gross. I guess spreading meat fat on bread isn't as nice in real life as it was in the book.
ayz
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ayz »

I've been reading recipes from all sort of of book recipes, i'm trying to catch ideas to complete my desire to make a certain dish that i can make for my family , friends and maybe add up in our small family business, books helps me a lot , i love the idea of every books that shows how every dish could possibly look like..it gives me more interest and the courage to cook far better than before
Uche B
Currently Reading: China rich girlfriend
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uche-b.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Uche B »

There's a lot of baked food in Jenny Han's To All the Boys I've Loved Before books and it definitely made me crave cupcakes and muffins and cookies.
"Life is more than unpainted fences" - Nomnso Mordi.
Zimall
Favorite Author: Atilla K. Zengin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zimall.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
fav_author_id: 156933

Post by Zimall »

Yep i did tried some beverage and it turned out to be amazing..in the novel i read, the heroin used to make and drink a specific beverage and i thought it would be great if she is drinking it very often😀
"All That is Gold Does Not Glitter
Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost"
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

Redwall and Dragonlance have recipes from the series that I've cooked. Redwall.net has a list of fan made recipes from Redwall, my favorite being:

Deeper 'n Ever Pie

Filling:
4 large potatoes,peeled,cut in quarters,cooked and mashed
2 small turnips,peeled,cut in chunks,cooked and mashed
2 beets boiled whole in their skins until tender, then cooled, peeled, and sliced thinly.
1 large onion-sliced and sauteed in butter
1 cup (or more) of cheese, grated

Make a crust for a covered pie. Roll out bottom crust and fit into a 9*9 pie plate. Put half of the cheese over the bottom crust. Mix potatoes and turnips together and add 1 Tablespoon butter and 1/2 cup of milk. Put half of this into the pie crust. Mix all the beets and onions together and put on top of the potato and turnip mixture. Then put rest of potato and turnip mix on and rest of cheese. Put the top crust on with an attractive edging and slits so steam can escape. Bake at 375 degrees for 35-40 minutes until crust is browned.

I do add leeks though instead of turnips.
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

Yes, I have read a few books that actually have recipes included in them, and have been motivated to try a few of them.

Return to “Book, Cook, and Crafts”