Food from books

Welcome to The Book, Cook, and Crafts, the place where lovers of cooking can share cool recipes, get advice on cooking techniques and tips, recommend great cooking books, and chat about food. Also, members can discuss crafty things here.
Genaaa
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-genaaa.html
Latest Review: "A Messiahs Battle For The Human Realm" by Roberto Torres Rivera

Re: Food from books

Post by Genaaa »

I actually did! One time I tried Turkish Delights like the ones from The Chronicles Of Narnia. My teacher had decided to make them and bring them in because we were reading the book for something.
Latest Review: "A Messiahs Battle For The Human Realm" by Roberto Torres Rivera
SandraTWP-BRW
Currently Reading: 1491: New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sandratwp-brw.html
Latest Review: "If God Is Not for Me, Then He Must Be Against Me!" by DeShaun Johnson
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by SandraTWP-BRW »

I, too, made green eggs & ham, and the meal was eyed very suspiciously by my then young children. Fast forward a few years, and they can't wait to try every flavor of Bertie Botts' Every Flavor Beans, even the nasty ones. There *is* something about Harry Potter.
Latest Review: "If God Is Not for Me, Then He Must Be Against Me!" by DeShaun Johnson
firecat88
Currently Reading: Trapped
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by firecat88 »

There's a website called The Geeky Chef that actually has recipes for foods from various books and stuff, and they take suggestions too. :D I haven't tried any of them yet, but I want to.
SweJai
Currently Reading: 1st to die (The Women'a Murder Club)
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swejai.html

Post by SweJai »

I've not tried food from books yet, seeing as everything I read is fantasy or set in the future :-/ would love to try some Bertie Bott's Every Flavour Beans though!
cyndibookswagbag
Favorite Author: Gena Showalter
Currently Reading: The Banned Book about Love
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3591

Post by cyndibookswagbag »

There is actually a cook book out for the food in Outlander! Not to sure about squirl! Lol

-- 15 Dec 2016, 21:29 --

Oh a duck dynasty has a cook book out too!, it tv though
cjohns105
Currently Reading: The Diary Of An Immortal (1945-1959)
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cjohns105.html
Latest Review: "The bible's last message to a dying world" by Khurshid ali

Post by cjohns105 »

Skyrim is not a book, but the video game has its fair share of books in-game. One of them 'Uncommon Tastes' is a famous cookbook within the game. I thought it would be fun to try out some of those recipes. The ingredient selection isn't terribly varied and you have to come up with your own spice blends for dishes, but I've made some of the stews and roasts for my own amusement.
Latest Review: "The bible's last message to a dying world" by Khurshid ali
Wilhelmenia
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Wilhelmenia »

I have read Joanne Fluke books and she has recipes through-out the book. I have made her Chocolate Chip Crunch cookie recipe but to me it was on the dry side, so I added some melted peanut butter it did help but still was not happy. Her Peach Cobbler recipe was good. She writes murder books with a twist. The peach one was called Peach Cobbler Murder, these recipes deal with a Cookie Store who finds and solves murder. The book it self was good, I just did not like how recipes interrupted the story in the book. Another author worth checking out is Laura Childs, she includes recipes with her story.
Insightsintobooks
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks.html
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks »

I never have but I recently read "Mayan Mendacity" by L. M.J. Owen and there are some recipies in the back I've been thinking of trying.
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Guppy
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-guppy.html
Latest Review: "Aftermath" by Gary Gaudin

Post by Guppy »

I will soon... got a Game of Thrones inspired cookbook. Lots of things I would like to make from there!
Latest Review: "Aftermath" by Gary Gaudin
Toria Mason
Currently Reading: Thirteen Reasons Why
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-toria-mason.html
Latest Review: "The Last Valentine" by Felix Alexander

Post by Toria Mason »

I have been rereading (for the zillionth time) the Landry series by V.C. Andrews, reading it to my boyfriend and our baby to share my favorite novels with them. The novels have a lot of focus on Cajuns, so gumbo and jambalaya get mentioned a lot. This prompted us to give them a try, and ultimately became a house favorite of ours. I once tried jerky dipped in Twinkies creme because they shown that on the movie Keith, so I can imagine I would easily be found trying all sorts of foods that are mentioned in books.
Latest Review: "The Last Valentine" by Felix Alexander
Bookwrm2095
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookwrm2095.html
Latest Review: "The Nobel Prize" by Mois benarroch

Post by Bookwrm2095 »

One of my all time favorite meals from a book would have to be chicken and rice. It is your general rice, breaded chicken, mixed together with cream of chicken soup. You can cook it either in the oven or over the stove. Personally, cooking it over the stove tastes so much better, I would definitely recommend that if you were to try it. You can even add broccoli to it if you want more of a veggie alternative; you can pretty much add as many extras as you want. The best part about is that you can be creative.
Latest Review: "The Nobel Prize" by Mois benarroch
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I haven't really read a whole lot of books with food in them. Although, I have seen recipes for the Butter Beer from Harry Potter, and I have yet to try that. Interesting thought though!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Dh_
Favorite Author: Alex Flinn
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 714">Carry On</a>
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dh.html
Latest Review: "Nobody Cares Who You Are - The Life and Times of Aceman, A Widespread Panic Roadie" by Larry Acquaviva
fav_author_id: 4010

Post by Dh_ »

Gravy wrote:Yes, the silly novelty candy from Harry Potter :lol:

I also always wanted to try butter beer. There re recipes online, but I have't gotten around to it.
Butterbeer is amazing! I thought it was overrated, but one sip and I was in love. Everyone should try it at least once. It tastes like magic! :D
Latest Review: "Nobody Cares Who You Are - The Life and Times of Aceman, A Widespread Panic Roadie" by Larry Acquaviva
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Gravy wrote:Yes, the silly novelty candy from Harry Potter :lol:

I also always wanted to try butter beer. There re recipes online, but I have't gotten around to it.
Seems to me like that would justify a trip to Universal Studio's Harry Potter attraction.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Naval Aulakh
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naval-aulakh.html
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien

Post by Naval Aulakh »

I have never tried to cook a recipe from a novel but it seems interesting to experiment with that :)
Live Life to the Fullest and Enjoy Reading!!
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien

Return to “Book, Cook, and Crafts”