Family recipe

Welcome to The Book, Cook, and Crafts, the place where lovers of cooking can share cool recipes, get advice on cooking techniques and tips, recommend great cooking books, and chat about food. Also, members can discuss crafty things here.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Family recipe

Post by gali »

Do you have a favorite family recipe? Please use this thread to share it with us. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Feather369
Currently Reading: The Help
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-feather369.html

Post by Feather369 »

Its not necessarily a family recipe but my mom always made delicious bierocks.(beer ox) You brown ground beef with seasonings and boiled cabbage. Then stuff it into biscuit dough and bake them. We usually ate them with mashed potatoes and brown gravy. Its my favorite comfort food.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Feather369 wrote:Its not necessarily a family recipe but my mom always made delicious bierocks.(beer ox) You brown ground beef with seasonings and boiled cabbage. Then stuff it into biscuit dough and bake them. We usually ate them with mashed potatoes and brown gravy. Its my favorite comfort food.
:handgestures-thumbupleft:
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Sasha For
Currently Reading: The Haunted Bookshop
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sasha-for.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sasha For »

My favorite family recipe is cabbage and dumplings (nifla is also a nice variation) cabbage and dumplings is just as it sounds, boiled dumplings fried with cabbage while nifla is boiled dumplings mixed with boiled potatoes and then fried. Both are not very good for you but they taste very great as a side dish. Though my boyfriend needs to put ketchup on it to enjoy them.
Utpal K Khot
Currently Reading: Green Lady
Bookshelf Size: 50

Post by Utpal K Khot »

Dahiwadi is a popular Gujrati dish also known as Khaandvi. These are yellow rolls of gram flour and curd which make you ask for more and more. A very simple to make dish, straight from Gujrat.

Khaandvi

Recipe Ingredients

1 Cup Besan ( Gram Flour)
2 Cups Sour Butter Milk
1/2 cup fresh Grated Coconut
1/2 thumb long ginger paste
4-5 Garlic pods ( paste form)
2 Green chilli (paste)
1/2 Tbsp sugar
1 Tsp of cumin seeds
Pinch of salt
Dash of lemon
Fresh coriander leaves chopped (as per need to garnish)
2 Tsp Mustard seeds
1 Tbsp Turperic Powder
Oil for Tadka

Recipe Preparation

Take 1 cup Besan and 2 cup sour butter milk in a bowl and mix it well. Add little turmeric and salt and cook it well on a low flame.
Once it gets thick without lumps it is ready. Spread it flat on a steel plate and roll it.
Make a paste (chutney) of the fresh coconut, some ginger, few garlic pods, one or two green chillies, a pinch of salt, 1/2 tbsp sugar, dash of lemon and little bit of cumin seeds.
Once the cooked besan is spread on the steel plate, apply a thin layer of this chutney on the besan before rolling and cutting it.
Sprinkle some coriander leaves on top as a garnish along with a regular tadka of only well spluttered mustard seeds.
Serve it with a smile. Your Ka or Ki will be happy!

My Tip: The chutney plays an essential role to give the Traditional Khandvi (which is without chutney and is simply rolled) a beautiful twist which is liked by one and all.

Full recipe and pics (removed by mod)
Last edited by gali on 28 Jul 2016, 01:49, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Self-promotion of blog
Amh73090
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amh73090.html
Latest Review: "Another-Blended Not Shaken" by Sherrie L. Todd

Post by Amh73090 »

I don't know the recipe of the top of my head but my family has an amazing bbq sauce.
Latest Review: "Another-Blended Not Shaken" by Sherrie L. Todd
Cristina
Bookshelf Size: 3117
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by Cristina »

Feather369 wrote:Its not necessarily a family recipe but my mom always made delicious bierocks.(beer ox) You brown ground beef with seasonings and boiled cabbage. Then stuff it into biscuit dough and bake them. We usually ate them with mashed potatoes and brown gravy. Its my favorite comfort food.
:o I am definitely going to make this!! Did she use any special seasonings?
Kdonegan91
Favorite Author: Wanda E. Brunstetter
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 202">Never Cry Again</a>
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdonegan91.html
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
Reading Device: 1400699169
fav_author_id: 19883

Post by Kdonegan91 »

My dad's chili is pretty famous in our family.

2 cans red kidney beans- drained
2 cans pinto beans
2 cans pork and beans
2 cans chili beans- mild
1.5 cans tomato sauce
3 chili seasoning packets
1 lb hamburger- cooked and drained
1/4c shredded cheddar cheese

Directions:
Add all ingredients (except cheese) to a large crockpot and cook on low for 4 hours or until beans are soft. Once done add cheese and enjoy.
** My dad always makes grilled cheese sandwiches to dunk in it. Or you can use saltine crackers. Yum!
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change. - Wayne Dyer
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
Immaculata Uduma
Currently Reading: Mark of the Remaker
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-immaculata-uduma.html

Post by Immaculata Uduma »

My own is local salad.Il is called abacha.Ingredients for preparation:casava,vegetable,garden egg,carrot,ugba,icefish etc.It is always delicious after preparation.
EugeniuszMosz
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by EugeniuszMosz »

Sasha For wrote:My favorite family recipe is cabbage and dumplings (nifla is also a nice variation) cabbage and dumplings is just as it sounds, boiled dumplings fried with cabbage while nifla is boiled dumplings mixed with boiled potatoes and then fried. Both are not very good for you but they taste very great as a side dish. Though my boyfriend needs to put ketchup on it to enjoy them.

ohh, thanks for the idea. I would like to make some kind of this for my family soon.. :tiphat:

-- 31 Mar 2017, 09:51 --
Kdonegan91 wrote:My dad's chili is pretty famous in our family.

2 cans red kidney beans- drained
2 cans pinto beans
2 cans pork and beans
2 cans chili beans- mild
1.5 cans tomato sauce
3 chili seasoning packets
1 lb hamburger- cooked and drained
1/4c shredded cheddar cheese

Directions:
Add all ingredients (except cheese) to a large crockpot and cook on low for 4 hours or until beans are soft. Once done add cheese and enjoy.
** My dad always makes grilled cheese sandwiches to dunk in it. Or you can use saltine crackers. Yum!

Wow this sounds good. I must try this one! <3 :tiphat: :tiphat:
chensea
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by chensea »

our family recipes consist of adobo, sinigang and paella. my grandmother know best hahaha
adampaarma_1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by adampaarma_1 »

gali wrote:Do you have a favorite family recipe? Please use this thread to share it with us. :)

SURE!!!! :D I have a lot of that
Steph K
Currently Reading: The Hobbit
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-steph-k.html
Latest Review: Ever After by H M Irwing

Post by Steph K »

My mom makes chili that's always really good and has even won some chili cookoffs! The thing is, there's no recipe, it's everything in the fridge chili. You do the typical chili base, tomato sauce, chili and kidney beans, ground beef, and chili seasoning, then you get creative. Add whatever seasonings strike your fancy. I love to add soy and worcestershire sauce to anything with meat. Chili is also good when you add Coca-Cola or grape jelly. Coke adds flavor, and the sugar cuts the spice. Grape jelly is added for the same reason, it cuts the burn of the spice, and makes a sweeter, richer flavor.
Brandi Noelle
Currently Reading: The Invention of Murder
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandi-noelle.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by Brandi Noelle »

I can't share the recipe, because it's a family secret. But, every Christmas, I make my great-grandmother's English toffee from scratch. My grandma taught me the recipe when I was 18 and I make several batches each year and give it away as gifts. There is no cheating in this recipe...everything has to be done the old-fashioned way with old-fashioned ingredients, no short cuts or it doesn't turn out right (I've learned from experience). My toffee is so popular that I have friends who hoard it away from their spouses and kids, one who goes so far as to count each piece to make sure no one is sneaking any. It pays to be married to the cook in this instance - my husband gets an entire batch all to himself and he rations it to make it last for months!
KasieMiehlke
Currently Reading: The Hidden Village
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasiemiehlke.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Post by KasieMiehlke »

I'm not sure where the recipe came from, but my family makes a dessert/side dish called green goop. It is whip cream, crushed pineapple, cottage cheese, and pistachio pudding. You mix everything together and let it marinate overnight.

Return to “Book, Cook, and Crafts”