Cooking books or recipes online

Welcome to The Book, Cook, and Crafts, the place where lovers of cooking can share cool recipes, get advice on cooking techniques and tips, recommend great cooking books, and chat about food. Also, members can discuss crafty things here.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Cooking books or recipes online

Post by gali »

Do you buy cooking books or do you look for recipes online?

I stopped buying cooking books and look for recipes online.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
katiesquilts
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Post by katiesquilts »

I have a few cookbooks that I bought because they teach a lot of basics as well, such as how to clean and cut fish, etc.

If I'm just making something one time and need a recipe, I usually look online. Or, if I've made something a million times and still can't remember the proper ratios, and need a quick reminder. xD
I usually choose cookbooks by how often I think I'll use the recipes. I hope that they'll become something like textbooks -- the more I go over them, the more I can learn the material and do it without looking, as if I had to take a test.
gali

Post by gali »

katiesquilts wrote:I have a few cookbooks that I bought because they teach a lot of basics as well, such as how to clean and cut fish, etc.

If I'm just making something one time and need a recipe, I usually look online. Or, if I've made something a million times and still can't remember the proper ratios, and need a quick reminder. xD
I usually choose cookbooks by how often I think I'll use the recipes. I hope that they'll become something like textbooks -- the more I go over them, the more I can learn the material and do it without looking, as if I had to take a test.
I also got a few cookbooks, but I stopped using them.
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
katiesquilts

Post by katiesquilts »

gali wrote:
katiesquilts wrote:I have a few cookbooks that I bought because they teach a lot of basics as well, such as how to clean and cut fish, etc.

Because you don't use the recipes, or because you don't need them anymore?
gali

Post by gali »

katiesquilts wrote:
gali wrote:

Because you don't use the recipes, or because you don't need them anymore?
Both. I now search for new recipes online.
A retired Admin/Mod

e-tasana-williams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-tasana-williams.html
Latest Review: Monkey Mind Madness by Sharon Dorival
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by e-tasana-williams »

I will search for new recipes online, both because I needed to curb my book purchases and because I found I wasn't really using most of the cookbooks I already had on hand. But I must say I am a sucker for cookbooks with gorgeous photographs...that's usually what hooks me with cookbooks. Having said that, my most often-used cookbook is Veganomicon, and it only has photos in the center of the book!
Once you learn to read, you will be forever free ~ Frederick Douglas
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I own a few cookbooks, but, like Gali, I don't use them too much. For some reason, cookbooks have a lot of recipes that are either hard to make or have ingredients that are expensive or hard to find. I find a lot of good, easy recipes I like on cooking websites and blogs. One of the best things about internet recipes is there are often comments from people who tried the recipe and tweaked it a bit.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
e-tasana-williams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-tasana-williams.html
Latest Review: Monkey Mind Madness by Sharon Dorival

Post by e-tasana-williams »

bookowlie wrote: I find a lot of good, easy recipes I like on cooking websites and blogs. One of the best things about internet recipes is there are often comments from people who tried the recipe and tweaked it a bit.
I agree with you on this point...I like seeing other people's comments/suggestions on the online recipes that they've already made. This is a definite advantage over traditional cookbooks. :cooking:
Once you learn to read, you will be forever free ~ Frederick Douglas
jlarmstr
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by jlarmstr »

I have a couple recipe books that I rely on. They are ones that have recipes for basic foods with background on each item. I find I'm more intrigued if there is some sort of a dialogue, rather than just a recipe. Lately, I have been relying on Pinterest/online recipes because the reviews are typically helpful, there's more diversity, and the online versions are free :)
adria_charles
Currently Reading: The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up
Bookshelf Size: 268
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adria-charles.html
Latest Review: "Turka Bella" by Jonathan Feldman

Post by adria_charles »

I wish I used cookbooks. I have so many but I find it so much easier to just have my laptop open and on the counter while I am cooking. I also usually don't know what to make and in cookbooks they only have a few options for certain recipes. When I do use a cookbook and try to find something I generally don't have the ingredients I need and am not wanting to run to the store, whereas I usually can find a recipe online with whatever is in my kitchen.
Latest Review: "Turka Bella" by Jonathan Feldman
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

I really wanted to say cookbooks, but I can't, which kind of makes me sad. Cookbooks are so traditional that it seems a shame that they could really (eventually) disappear :(

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
HarneetB
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =5840">The Princess Bride</a>
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harneetb.html
Latest Review: "Dodged Bullets" by Lynn Sutton

Post by HarneetB »

I usually look online whenever I need to bake anything but recently I bought a baking book and thought it was so cute. I actually like having the books rather than looking online, I think its a cute accessory to have at home and there are so many different recipes I have never heard of before which the book introduced me to.
Latest Review: "Dodged Bullets" by Lynn Sutton
katiesquilts

Post by katiesquilts »

HarneetB wrote:I actually like having the books rather than looking online, I think its a cute accessory to have at home and there are so many different recipes I have never heard of before which the book introduced me to.
You brought up a good point when you said that the books introduce you to new recipes. When you look for recipes online you have to search for them, which means you usually only get recipes related to things that you already know about. But with cookbooks you can "browse" multiple recipes without having to narrow any down!
Sasha For
Currently Reading: The Haunted Bookshop
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sasha-for.html

Post by Sasha For »

I have about 30 cook books that cover almost everything from desserts to comfort foods. However, I have found that even though I have so many cook books, I have been looking recipes up online in an increasing manner.

Christmas is an exception. I will use my cook books when making my Christmas baked goods. There is just something about the use of a book rather than a computer that I like and feel as though I am sticking more with tradition.

Sasha
erica_bvs
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 668">Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince</a>
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erica-bvs.html

Post by erica_bvs »

I am from a small town and part of a big Dutch family which means there are a lot of family and community cookbooks on my shelves. I also enjoy Pioneer woman cookbooks. If I can't find what I am looking for in the books there are a million recipes online just waiting for me to find them.

Return to “Book, Cook, and Crafts”