What is your favorite WEIRD food dish?

Welcome to The Book, Cook, and Crafts, the place where lovers of cooking can share cool recipes, get advice on cooking techniques and tips, recommend great cooking books, and chat about food. Also, members can discuss crafty things here.
Mama Ash
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mama-ash.html

Re: What is your favorite WEIRD food dish?

Post by Mama Ash »

I enjoy eating vanilla ice cream with chocolate sauce with soup crackers. My friends all say it is weird but I like the sweet and saltiness of it! Try it out!
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Amh73090 wrote:This is thanks to my best friend. Grilled cheese dipped in ketchup. I know it's strange because I also used to think it was.
My son does this, and yes, his father and I think it's a bit strange. I just read your post out loud to him, and he is feeling quite vindicated!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
DATo

Post by DATo »

1) When I was a kid I loved putting daubs of peanut butter on a banana. The combination of tastes is really interesting and good. At the time I was a little embarrassed to let anyone see me do it thinking that they would think I was nuts. It wasn't till many years later that I found out that Elvis Presley used to eat peanut butter and banana sandwiches.

2) I substitute crumbled potato chips (the thick wavy kind) for crackers in my chile. It tastes WAY better than crackers that way. Plus, you can choose hot (spicy) potato chips or the cheesy kind to add an even more interesting taste to the chile and still get the "crunch" you expect from crackers.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Vickyoreo86
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =118626">A Court of Wings and Ruin</a>
Currently Reading: The Sword of Shannara
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickyoreo86.html
Latest Review: Cover Your Tracks, Leona Leitman by C. S. Johnson

Post by Vickyoreo86 »

It's not an official dish or anything but I bought a beef burger and chocolate caramel shortbread (dessert type biscuit/cake) for my break one day and thought it would be fun to put the burger and shortbread together....savoury and sweet. I thought I would feel sick but actually enjoyed it.....

I can't seem to get my friends to try it though
“We make choices everyday, some of them good, some of them bad. And - if we are strong enough - we live with the consequences.”
― David Gemmell
Bunny_Redd
Favorite Book: Let's Talk About Love
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42

Post by Bunny_Redd »

um, this is one i grew up with, white rice with american cheese melted in it, its not good, but its childhood.
Lincoln
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: The Very Loving Caterpillar
Bookshelf Size: 48
Publishing Contest Votes: 9
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Lincoln »

DATo wrote:Do you have a favorite dish which is generally unknown to the civilized world?

1) The Slinger - This is actually a BREAKFAST dish.
Two eggs (prepared any way you like), two fried hamburger patties, fried potato wedges, the whole thing drowned in chile and topped with parmesan cheese. Absolutely great!

2) The English Cottage
Toasted English muffins, liberally buttered (real butter), jelly or jam (of your choice), all covered in cottage cheese. (a,Eaten with knife and fork; b. muffins hot, cottage cheese very cold; - try it, you'll like it.)
Those sound awesome, I'll have to check them out.
Lincoln's book, Raven's Peak is the OnlineBookClub.org April 2017 Book of the Month.

View Raven's Peak on Lincoln's website.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves
Neliainoh
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Neliainoh »

I get weird when I want to make fufu with native soup for breakfast
That's indeed heavy
RegularGuy3
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-regularguy3.html
Latest Review: Farmer Beau's Farm by Kathleen Geiger

Post by RegularGuy3 »

"Weird" is in the eye of the beholder. My standard favorite that usually grosses out my dining partners is pho fully dressed with beef tendon and tripe. But I've got a couple friends that share the same passion for it. Weird for them is "vegetarian."
IanYanny
Currently Reading: The Lovely Bones
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ianyanny.html
Latest Review: "Life Before" by K.L. Romo

Post by IanYanny »

I don't consider this weird but I put peanut butter on a banana. I dip potato chips in melted chocolate. And I put mayo on top of spicy pancit(noodles).
Latest Review: "Life Before" by K.L. Romo
Eniefiok
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 27

Post by Eniefiok »

My favorite food is kind of weird but very sweet too, it is called pounded yam and prepared in the southern part of Nigeria

-- 16 Oct 2017, 17:44 --

Besides one man's food is another man's poison
DATo

Post by DATo »

Eniefiok wrote:My favorite food is kind of weird but very sweet too, it is called pounded yam and prepared in the southern part of Nigeria

-- 16 Oct 2017, 17:44 --

Besides one man's food is another man's poison
I like yams. In the U.S.A. on our holiday of Thanksgiving Day many families have baked yams with the dinner. Here we sometimes bake them covered with tiny marshmallows.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Brandi Noelle
Currently Reading: The Invention of Murder
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandi-noelle.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by Brandi Noelle »

I always add cinnamon to my marinara sauce. It sounds strange, but my husband discovered this little trick and it adds the perfect sweetness. I also had 1 cup of Malbec wine, so then the spice mixed with the sweet of the cinnamon balances nicely.
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

My favorite "weird" food is Peanut Butter, Onion, cheese bagel. It is just soooo good. And it is even better if it is heated and served with a bowl of tomato soup. Not any tomato soup, the Campbell's Tomato soup that I will only ever eat if with this concoction.
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Hot corn meal mush for breakfast. It is like oatmeal, but you use cornmeal instead of oats. Serve it with some butter and brown sugar and it is amazing. In fact, I think I'll make some right now!
Njengnjoro
Bookshelf Size: 29

Post by Njengnjoro »

Most people probably don't know about chapati

Return to “Book, Cook, and Crafts”