Adult Beverages

Welcome to The Book, Cook, and Crafts, the place where lovers of cooking can share cool recipes, get advice on cooking techniques and tips, recommend great cooking books, and chat about food. Also, members can discuss crafty things here.
asteel18
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asteel18.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Adult Beverages

Post by asteel18 »

What do you like to drink for an adult beverage? My husband has one drink in the evening and never budges. He drinks bourbon and coke. I like to consider the mood I'm in or what we're having for dinner. Sometimes it's wine, maybe a cocktail, maybe a beer. I like a lot of different things (not at the same time). I guess it just depends on the mood and the meal. Do you have a preference?
-Amy
Brett Linette
Favorite Author: Edgar Allan Poe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brett-linette.html
Latest Review: ACED. by Shea Rose
fav_author_id: 4642

Post by Brett Linette »

I've never drank an adult beverage. The most adult beverage I've ever drank was coffee, and I didn't like it.
Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

Brett Linette wrote: I've never drank an adult beverage. The most adult beverage I've ever drank was coffee, and I didn't like it.
But...isn't that a bottle of wine in your picture? :D
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?
Brett Linette
Currently Reading:

Post by Brett Linette »

Bigwig1973 wrote: 05 Nov 2021, 07:38
Brett Linette wrote: I've never drank an adult beverage. The most adult beverage I've ever drank was coffee, and I didn't like it.
LOL

The irony.

But really, in case you were actually wondering, it's just a free stock photo, one that I hope to use as the book cover for a novel I'm writing about alcoholism.
Daniel-Davis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniel-davis.html
Latest Review: Grant's Wish by T.S. Pollard

Post by Daniel-Davis »

Boba Milk Tea, made by Kung Fu Tea, which has is headquarters in New York City. A delicious blending of milk, ice, flavoring, and tapioca pearl boba!

I get that you asked about beer, alcohol, or wine. Done it and I'm done with it all. None taste as good as a can of pop. Better than pop is boba tea. As an adult, I decide what drinks to purchase, as such, my favorite is a boba tea.
Bigwig1973

Post by Bigwig1973 »

Brett Linette wrote:
Bigwig1973 wrote:
LOL

The irony.

But really, in case you were actually wondering, it's just a free stock photo, one that I hope to use as the book cover for a novel I'm writing about alcoholism.

It's a nice photo for a book cover about alcoholism. It has a lot of light which is positive! Did you know that Poe supposedly was an alcoholic? That's what I heard-I wondered whether or not it was a rumor. If this makes any sense, he doesn't write as if he's someone prone to addiction. I'm not sure what exactly addicts write like, but it just doesn't seem fitting for him.
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

Brett Linette
Currently Reading:

Post by Brett Linette »

Bigwig1973 wrote: 06 Nov 2021, 08:15
Brett Linette wrote:
Bigwig1973 wrote:

LOL

The irony.

It's a nice photo for a book cover about alcoholism. It has a lot of light which is positive! Did you know that Poe supposedly was an alcoholic? That's what I heard-I wondered whether or not it was a rumor. If this makes any sense, he doesn't write as if he's someone prone to addiction. I'm not sure what exactly addicts write like, but it just doesn't seem fitting for him.
Thank you for the positive feedback. It made my day.

I know wine isn't something associated with alcoholism, but because the story is about the development of alcoholism, I thought the wine could depict the starting point of it all.

It's believed that he was an alcoholic, you're right. It's even believed that alcohol may have played a role in his death.

It never surprises me when writers are alcoholics. I think a lot of writers drink for the same reason they write.
Bigwig1973

Post by Bigwig1973 »

Brett Linette wrote:
Bigwig1973 wrote:
Brett Linette wrote:

LOL

The irony.

I know wine isn't something associated with alcoholism, but because the story is about the development of alcoholism, I thought the wine could depict the starting point of it all.

It's believed that he was an alcoholic, you're right. It's even believed that alcohol may have played a role in his death.

It never surprises me when writers are alcoholics. I think a lot of writers drink for the same reason they write.
I tend to not classify writer's are drinkers. I don't know that many writers so I suppose that could be the case. The Shining is an interesting movie about a writer who is also a drinker.

Brett Linette
Currently Reading:

Post by Brett Linette »

Bigwig1973 wrote: 06 Nov 2021, 18:42
Brett Linette wrote:
Bigwig1973 wrote:

I tend to not classify writer's are drinkers. I don't know that many writers so I suppose that could be the case. The Shining is an interesting movie about a writer who is also a drinker.
I shouldn't have made it sound like I was stereotyping writers. I'm not saying all writers drink or even many; I just can see why some would, being that writing can be a form of escapism, as can alcohol.

That movie does sound interesting. I'll have to see if I can find it on Hulu.
Bigwig1973

Post by Bigwig1973 »

Brett Linette wrote:
Bigwig1973 wrote:
Brett Linette wrote:

I shouldn't have made it sound like I was stereotyping writers. I'm not saying all writers drink or even many; I just can see why some would, being that writing can be a form of escapism, as can alcohol.

You may be right about it being escapism. My writing experience is limited to non-fiction (or as non-fiction as non-fiction could be I suppose) for college so I was writing for school. I'm not sure if that's the kind of escapism you are referring to!? I'm assuming there is a norm for escapism as there would be for most everything else. One could say I was going to school to get a job to escape the possibility that my parents and daughters would have a hard(er) time of it if I couldn't help fund them. If you're going to label that as dysfunctional, then any motivated person would have alcoholic tendencies. Good luck on the book!

Susan Gibbs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susan-gibbs.html
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago

Post by Susan Gibbs »

I like champagne on a special occasions and if I have wine, I usually dilute it with soda water. I only have rose wine. I find red and white wine affects my allergies.
Brett Linette
Currently Reading:

Post by Brett Linette »

Bigwig1973 wrote: 07 Nov 2021, 09:32
Brett Linette wrote:
Bigwig1973 wrote:

You may be right about it being escapism. My writing experience is limited to non-fiction (or as non-fiction as non-fiction could be I suppose) for college so I was writing for school. I'm not sure if that's the kind of escapism you are referring to!? I'm assuming there is a norm for escapism as there would be for most everything else. One could say I was going to school to get a job to escape the possibility that my parents and daughters would have a hard(er) time of it if I couldn't help fund them. If you're going to label that as dysfunctional, then any motivated person would have alcoholic tendencies. Good luck on the book!
There's hope in your escape, whereas with escapism, it's just a false sense of hope, a distraction, so to speak. You could call writing to make a profit and avoid financial struggles an escape plan, but writing not to make a profit but to immerse yourself in a world outside of the one you're actually in is what you'd call escapism.

Thank you so much for wishing me good luck with my book. By the time it's published, I hope to be in a position where I can afford to have you review it; I love your reviews more than anyone's.
Bigwig1973

Post by Bigwig1973 »

Brett Linette wrote:
Bigwig1973 wrote:
Brett Linette wrote:

There's hope in your escape, whereas with escapism, it's just a false sense of hope, a distraction, so to speak. You could call writing to make a profit and avoid financial struggles an escape plan, but writing not to make a profit but to immerse yourself in a world outside of the one you're actually in is what you'd call escapism.

Thank you so much for wishing me good luck with my book. By the time it's published, I hope to be in a position where I can afford to have you review it; I love your reviews more than anyone's.

I'm glad that you make a distinction between normal "escapism" and actual escapism. So, your premise would be something along the lines that: writers are prone to escapism, alcoholics are prone to escapism, consequently writers are prone to alcoholism. While that is illogical, it seems to makes sense. You would have to determine what in reality causes writers to desire escape, how they use alcohol to feed or appease this desire, and I'm assuming, why that escapism and alcoholism are both problematic in these certain situations. Annoyingly, there is a song called "No Rain" by the band Blind Melon that proposes a theory about readers. One line in the song is "All I can do is read a book to stay awake, and it rips my life away but it's a great escape." In this case, it's possible the writers are trying to wake people up, but in doing so, the readers revert back to escapism. Stephen King's Misery touches upon this theme in a frightening fashion. Anyways - that is a bit off topic! But again, good luck with the book and thank you for the compliment! That is very flattering!

Susan Gibbs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susan-gibbs.html

Post by Susan Gibbs »

I like a bit of wine or champagne on special occassions I don't really drink cocktails. I know a few people who like to have a drink in the evening every evening. It is a ritual. They always have one whiskey.
Inge van Tonder
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inge-van-tonder.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Inge van Tonder »

Usually we don’t drink on weekdays, but on weekends when it’s warm I usually make cocktails for us (my husband is too lazy 😂). I love Pinã coladas! Sometimes I just throw stuff in and see what comes out :D

Return to “Book, Cook, and Crafts”