What Did You Cook/bake Today?

Welcome to The Book, Cook, and Crafts, the place where lovers of cooking can share cool recipes, get advice on cooking techniques and tips, recommend great cooking books, and chat about food. Also, members can discuss crafty things here.
RegularGuy3
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-regularguy3.html
Latest Review: Farmer Beau's Farm by Kathleen Geiger

Re: What Did You Cook/bake Today?

Post by RegularGuy3 »

Chili today. Meatballs tomorrow.
Preciosonic
Currently Reading: Before I Wake
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Preciosonic »

Vegetables soup and Eba
Better is not good enough but the best is yet to come. Let Love Lead.
By Prophet T.B.Joshua
Oliver Ekaso
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oliver-ekaso.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by Oliver Ekaso »

Nothing yet. But I will be making pop corn in a few minutes.
Sarahcaotes
Currently Reading: The Sex Tourist
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Sarahcaotes »

Today was my first attempt at a new beast, bread. I attempted to make homemade challah, and, while I'm not into excessive self-praise I can't hep but feel I was fairly successful. The outer layer was a tad crustier than I would have liked, and my bread braiding technique is in desperate need of help, but overall the taste was spot on. I also whipped up a bit of tofu based Alfredo sauce. The original recipe was vegan, but as I am not a vegan I chose to add parmesan cheese to mine. This week has been an adventure in cooking to say the least. Monday was homemade chili (mild for my tastebud sensitive roommate), Tuesday I attempted homemade Yumm Sauce ( a delicacy from the Oregon based Cafe Yumm), and Wednesday I did a yellow curry and brown rice concoction.
Doaa Wael
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doaa-wael.html

Post by Doaa Wael »

Tuna Patties

1 can of tuna, filter carefully from the water/oil. Mix with 1 egg and add spices, salt, and pepper to taste. You can also add a tiny amount of soy sauce. You can also cut small pieces of green pepper

Add mayonnaise to make it into a sticky paste and a spoon or 2 of bread crumbs to make the paste thicker. Shape the mixture into patties and fry in medium heat oil.

Total preparation time: 10-15 minutes

Enjoy with your favorite dipping! :D
Imagination Trumps Reality.
Mindi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindi.html
Latest Review: The Promise by Hank Ellis

Post by Mindi »

I made cajun red beans and rice with sausage.
bestia
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by bestia »

Slow cooked a brisket on Friday. Everyone knows about brisket.

Sliced the leftovers up thin and made a steak and cheese like pizza Saturday. Purple onions, provolone and mozz, alfredo sauce. Never did that before and it came out pretty well although residual sweet baby ray's on the brisket didn't really go with the alfredo as well. Need to do one or the other next time.
George Sparrow
Currently Reading: The Hobbit
Bookshelf Size: 51

Post by George Sparrow »

Proja is awesome and easy to make. You should try it.
Chriselyn Carandang

Post by Chriselyn Carandang »

Red velvet!
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

I made these deep fried onion rings exactly to the recipe and they came out GREAT.

Warning: Do not watch this video if you are even slightly hungry.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Mz4NTozNXw
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
mariamullen37

Post by mariamullen37 »

I made some chicken noodle soup. I have a very bad cold and I added some sriracha to it.
Vickyoreo86
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =118626">A Court of Wings and Ruin</a>
Currently Reading: The Sword of Shannara
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickyoreo86.html
Latest Review: Cover Your Tracks, Leona Leitman by C. S. Johnson

Post by Vickyoreo86 »

I made a chicken stew with my mum's recipe from my childhood plus a few extra ingredients that my partner enjoys and honestly I was in heaven for the whole time it took me to eat it. The upside is, it always tastes better the next day after it has thickened and more flavours come out in the gravy....so I made an EXTRA big batch :)
“We make choices everyday, some of them good, some of them bad. And - if we are strong enough - we live with the consequences.”
― David Gemmell
Steph K
Currently Reading: The Hobbit
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-steph-k.html
Latest Review: Ever After by H M Irwing

Post by Steph K »

Salmon patties. Take canned salmon, crushed Ritz crackers, and an egg, fry it up, and it turns out delicious!
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

Chinese Army Food
(My own recipe. Don't ask how it got its name. It is a very long story.)

This is essentially a very inexpensive and easy to make sloppy joe which is very, very tasty and contains NO tomato sauce. I was raised in an Italian family and I'm SICK of tomato sauce.

Brown fairly lean (80%) hamburger in one frying pan.

In another frying pan saute a very large portion of diced yellow onions and sliced button mushrooms (equal amounts). Salt and pepper this concoction AFTER it has reduced somewhat. Garlic is optional.

When mushrooms and onions are reduced add Worcestershire sauce liberally.

Drain off grease from ground beef and add 1/2 stick of salted butter and dust with grated parmesan cheese. After butter is absorbed in beef add Worcestershire to ground beef till meat is darkened slightly in color.

Coat entire top of ground beef lightly with all-purpose flour and mix. Then add small amount of milk and mix again to make a very thick (pasty) gravy.

Mix mushroom/onions and beef together and simmer till flavors have a chance to mix. Season to taste. Quantities should be such that there is approximately the same amount of ground beef to onion/mushroom mixture.

Serve over rice or noodles for a stroganoff or on very fresh hamburger buns or bread of your choice. (Softer texture on bread is better. I have also used over sliced Bosnian or Italian bread - purchased from bakery the same day - and eaten with knife and fork).

Everyone I have made this for raves about it.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Brandi Noelle
Currently Reading: The Invention of Murder
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandi-noelle.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by Brandi Noelle »

Nothing yet, but I plan to make chicken parmesan in the crockpot since my daughter has dance classes that get us home at dinnertime. Simple recipe that I've tweaked a little...give it a try!

-Pour a jar of your favorite marinara sauce into crockpot.
-Add 1 cup of your preferred red wine. (I use Malbec, typically Trapiche Malbec because it has a little spice to it)
-Use an egg wash and panko crumbs to bread 3-4 chicken breasts. Brown breasts in a pan on stove, both sides. Place in crockpot.
-Sprinkle 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp oregano, 1/2 tsp basil.
-Sprinkle 1/2 tsp of cinnamon (yes, cinnamon...trust me!)
-Cook on Low 6-8 hours, on High 4 hours.
-Five minutes before serving, sprinkle mozzarella and parmesan on top of each breast and allow to melt.

I usually make butter and parmesan noodles to go with it.

Return to “Book, Cook, and Crafts”