Which is the best method of making kids eat their veggies?

Welcome to The Book, Cook, and Crafts, the place where lovers of cooking can share cool recipes, get advice on cooking techniques and tips, recommend great cooking books, and chat about food. Also, members can discuss crafty things here.
swaha001
Bookshelf Size: 0

Which is the best method of making kids eat their veggies?

Post by swaha001 »

I have been trying to teach my eight month old daughter to eat her veggies but it seems like she doesn't enjoy it.any ideas how you make your young one eat her veggies?
Sally_Heart
Currently Reading: The Surgeon's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sally-heart.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sally_Heart »

Entice her with a milk promise.... Always give her milk after her vegies. She will understand that for her to get milk she has to take vegies first.
Doaa Wael
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doaa-wael.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by Doaa Wael »

I don't know if eight months babies can eat all vegetables safely. However, if you confirm with your doctor that it is okay (because some veggies are hard to digest), then you can try cooking them differently. Perhaps add seasoning or lemon to boiled broccoli or beat cauliflower in the blender to make cauliflower rise that you can mix with mashed potatoes, Like blend the stuff so that she doesn't know it is there.

You can also add sauces or use the reward system
You can also decorate the dishes into appealing shapes; there are lots of such shapes online for inspiration.
Imagination Trumps Reality.
Nimue

Post by Nimue »

For babies 6 months old, make your own puree's carrots, potatoes, squash, sweet potato they are easily digest. At 9 months old, pureed vegetables and bananas, apple, peaches. including lean chicken, meat and fish. Fruit juices.
Lebza2017
2024 Reading Goal: 161
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Lebza2017 »

Make their eating time exciting, dish the food in a decorative manner. Food colourants can also make the veggies look exciting. For older kids, coating the veggies in a flour batter and frying them can sometimes do the trick!
Doaa Wael
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doaa-wael.html

Post by Doaa Wael »

Lebza2017 wrote:Make their eating time exciting, dish the food in a decorative manner. Food colourants can also make the veggies look exciting. For older kids, coating the veggies in a flour batter and frying them can sometimes do the trick!

Ohh great idea! I like the idea of covering it with flour batter. You can add whatever flavors you like to thr batter
Imagination Trumps Reality.
R-Myra
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Keeper of Lost Things
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-myra.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by R-Myra »

Doaa Wael wrote: 08 Oct 2017, 15:41 I don't know if eight months babies can eat all vegetables safely. However, if you confirm with your doctor that it is okay (because some veggies are hard to digest), then you can try cooking them differently. Perhaps add seasoning or lemon to boiled broccoli or beat cauliflower in the blender to make cauliflower rise that you can mix with mashed potatoes, Like blend the stuff so that she doesn't know it is there.

You can also add sauces or use the reward system
You can also decorate the dishes into appealing shapes; there are lots of such shapes online for inspiration.
I would agree with you. My aunt did this with her child when she was younger and she would love to eat the veggies without any complaint. She too was having the same problem so she came up with this idea.
-R
spirituallove
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirituallove.html
Latest Review: The Judge part 1 and 2 by Ian RB Morris

Post by spirituallove »

If the kids like eating pasta with tomato sauce, make the sauce from scratch and add things like grated carrot, zucchini and bell peppers while it's cooking. Then blend away and you'll see the vegetables disappear! They will be eating their veggies without even knowing it.
Corina Elena
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corinaelena.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black

Post by Corina Elena »

My mom used to puree them with bananas. I know it sounds disgusting, but it worked!
shravsi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Crime and Punishment
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shravsi.html
Latest Review: Sam the Chosen by Wally Jones

Post by shravsi »

Start with a few vegetables every day. not an entire carrot but a bit of a boiled piece. And eat with the children. Not an eight-month-old but after 2 years. Sit with them to eat and don't make it forceful. Children don't like that.
Wanja Hannah
Currently Reading: From Liberty to Magnolia: In Search of the American Dream
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wanja-hannah.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Wanja Hannah »

I had problems convincing my daughters that veges are good for their health until a learnt a trick or two, I bought plates with cartoon faces, added a little cream to the vegetables. Every bite seemed like we are biting a piece of the "plate's face".
Wanja Kenya
Thehorselover
Currently Reading: Irma's Daughters
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thehorselover.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick

Post by Thehorselover »

Kids love smoothies and smoothie popsicles. You can hide lots of diff kinds of veggies behind strawberries and bananas!
leximutia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leximutia.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by leximutia »

I don't have a child of my own, but try purees. That might help in introducing veggies.
tsh1001
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tsh1001.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by tsh1001 »

My kids love veggies...but if they need convincing, I just slap some ranch on their plates and voila! Done.
"I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."
DEEPA PUJARI
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deepa-pujari.html
Latest Review: Seemore the Seagull by Ralph Tufo
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by DEEPA PUJARI »

My son started eating all veggies by himself when he was 5 years old. Earlier he used to eat only selected vegetables like potatoes, mushrooms... So I think there is no need to stress and force kids to eat veggies. If they are eating fruits its good enough. They will eventually get a taste for veggies.

Return to “Book, Cook, and Crafts”