Traditional dishes in your country

Welcome to The Book, Cook, and Crafts, the place where lovers of cooking can share cool recipes, get advice on cooking techniques and tips, recommend great cooking books, and chat about food. Also, members can discuss crafty things here.
babyshopjapos
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Traditional dishes in your country

Post by babyshopjapos »

Im from Philippines.. 2 of our traditional dishes are Chicken or Pork Adobo sometimes they combine the two and Tinolang Manok.. :)
strwbrry_Celestine
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by strwbrry_Celestine »

Im from Philippines and some of our traditional dishes are "Lechon"( whole roasted pig) and Adobo (chicken or pork braise with garlic, vinegar and soy sauce) :D
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Here in the Philippines, we recommend tourists to try adobo (chicken and/or pork stewed in soy sauce and vinegar), paksiw (fish cooked in vinegar) and the famous balut (duck egg with baby chick). Do I see bulging eyes out there?
Abdullai Rogers
Currently Reading: Three weeks in spring
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Abdullai Rogers »

I am a liberian and is part of a tribal group called vai we love cassava leaf
aldith

Post by aldith »

I am from the Philippines. Adobo is the most popular traditional dish in my country.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

aldith wrote:I am from the Philippines. Adobo is the most popular traditional dish in my country.
Hi Aldith. Welcome to this awesome site.

Adobo is cooked differently throughout the archipelago. Ours is the Ilocano kind. What's yours?
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

hsimone wrote:I'm Dominican, born and raised in America. Traditional food (and ones that I love) are rice, beans, chicken, and tostones (fried plantains)!! I absolutely love tostones! :D
I am also Dominican so Hsimone and I share the same traditional food and love for tostones. I recently became a pescatarian so I am giving up chicken and other meats except for fish. I am losing a portion of my tradition but I think it is a healthy choice.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

hwong wrote:I'm from Hong Kong and I would say Dim Sum. It's actually a variety of small dishes- from shrimp rolls, to cream buns, to wrapped rice. My favorite dim sum will probably have to be xiao long bao - its a pork filling dumpling with soup in it. So it actually fills your mouth as you bite into it. MMMMMMMM.
Aside from the Filipino dishes, this dish is one I am familiar with. In the Philippines, we call all the variants the generic siomai, or at least I do. They are so popular you can find them on every street corner. Yummy!

The other dishes mentioned are still unfamiliar but I will remember to sample them to find out.
csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
fav_author_id: 2594

Post by csimmons032 »

Unfortunately traditional dishes from America I either cannot have or won't have like hamburgers, hot dogs, and stuff like that. I don't eat beef and won't go near a hot dog any more, plus I have a ton of allergies. I actually love Italian food, but I am not Italian. Everything I eat in that area though still has to be gluten free, egg free, and dairy free. So I make it at home like most of my meals. I don't know how traditional I can actually be considering I have to be very creative with my cooking.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

csimmons032 wrote:Unfortunately traditional dishes from America I either cannot have or won't have like hamburgers, hot dogs, and stuff like that. I don't eat beef and won't go near a hot dog any more, plus I have a ton of allergies. I actually love Italian food, but I am not Italian. Everything I eat in that area though still has to be gluten free, egg free, and dairy free. So I make it at home like most of my meals. I don't know how traditional I can actually be considering I have to be very creative with my cooking.
It's such a pity that you have lots of allergies and have to avoid many of the dishes that the rest of us enjoy. I do hope you find dishes that are safe and taste great too.
LKCooper
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">Breaking Sandcastles</a>
Currently Reading: Sherlock Holmes Detective Agency
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by LKCooper »

e-tasana-williams wrote:OK so I'm from the U.S., but my favorite traditional dish is black eye peas. I thought everyone knew about these, and I was talking to a coworker about them. She asked me to repeat what I'd said, and then told me the only black eye peas she'd ever heard of was the music group! I brought her some the next day, and now she's hooked :D

So the way I like them is slowly simmered in water to cover, with a bay leaf, ham hock/ham bone, salt and pepper to taste, until the peas are super tender and they've created their own gravy. Mmmm-mm-MMMM! I could eat these every day, but we definitely make sure to eat them on New Year's Eve. Tradition says they bring prosperity for the coming year. :P
I love these too, and the way you fixed them, but for a great twist, we found this recipe a long time ago. Put cooked white rice in bottom of 4qt. casserole dish, about 3 inches full, add 16oz.sour cream mixed with 2 TBSPS Poultry seasoning, and spread over rice. Then add 2 cans black eyed peas with one can red beans. Then over that, place 12 oz sliced Hillshire Farm Turkey kielbasa or Smoked Beef sausage, then cover with 12 oz. Monterrey Jack Cheese and bake for 45 min at 350. OMG- you will flip!! :D

-- 22 May 2017, 09:52 --

In the U.S., I can tell you growing up in the midwest in the 60s and 70s, it was all about Hamburgers, Hot Dogs, Fried Chicken and Potato Salad, and lots of Pot Roast with potatoes and carrots. Fried Catfish, mashed potatoes, green beans cooked til they mush, and chopped salads. Pretty much sums up my childhood meals! :)
Fabjulia
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Fabjulia »

My fave traditional dish is pounded yam and egusi soup. Typical
SpectreMy
Currently Reading: City of Redemption
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spectremy.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by SpectreMy »

my favorite Malaysian food , Nasi lemak and hainan chicken rice
Elizabeth Nketiah

Post by Elizabeth Nketiah »

I am from Ghana and my traditional dishes are fufu, palava sauce with yam, waakye, banku with okro stew and many, they are also the best dishes
EMoffat
Currently Reading: Norse Mythology
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emoffat.html
Latest Review: A Life In Waiting by Katrina Benson

Post by EMoffat »

I am from Scotland and our traditional dish is Haggis! It sounds disgusting - all a sheep's organs cooked inside its stomach. But it is delisious!! Served with mashed potatoes and mashed sweet potatoe. Also known as Haggis, neeps and tatties!

Return to “Book, Cook, and Crafts”