Video Trailer for the July Book of the Month

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
SilviaP21
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-silviap21.html
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka

Re: Video Trailer for the July Book of the Month

Post by SilviaP21 »

I'm in the process of reading the book right now and I really enjoy it. It's very different from the books I reviwed so far. And even if I didn't finish it, I think this video is another proof that the book is always better.
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte Røddik

Post by Yoli García »

I read and reviewed My Trip to Adele and I don't think this trailer does justice to what the book is really about. It is true that the authors wrote the book as a tribute to Adele's music, but it is about so much more than that. The book also presents great cultural differences between the West and the East and how culture affects the characters' lives. In addition, some of the visuals showed in the trailer do not match how the characters are in the book, particularly Nadia.
BookishBookkeeping
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Currently Reading: Atlas Shrugged
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishbookkeeping.html
Latest Review: "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by BookishBookkeeping »

I know the book is about three different journeys for three different people/couples making their way to the Adele concert. I enjoyed the visual of the different settings. I think making a "book trailer" isn't the easiest thing to try and capture since both are two very distinct media outlets. But the video was done in good taste, my opinion. :D
Latest Review: "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman
carolwenyaa
Currently Reading: Death of a Salesman
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by carolwenyaa »

Am in the process of reading the book and I know will enjoy the story..
Robyn Lea
Currently Reading: Why Nations Fail
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robyn-lea.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Robyn Lea »

After reading the book, I can totally see it as a movie. That's why doing a trailer makes sense. I think trailers are usually longer so maybe just adding a minute more would help (help those who above have said they didn't really get what the book was supposed to be about after only having watched the trailer).
Arnel Cenas
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Arnel Cenas »

thought the visuals were a bit vague. I didn't like the "copy" that the narrator read, obviously provided, though his narration was acceptable
NikkyT
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikkyt.html
Latest Review: "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer, R.I.Alyaseer
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by NikkyT »

I've just read the blurb on the book and it sounds quite an interesting one, I like the books that have a few different peoples stories blending into one. So downloaded and ready to start reading and reviewing :)
Gingerbo0ks
Currently Reading: All the Crooked Saints
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gingerbo0ks.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

I think it's ok. Even if I hadn't of already had an idea of what the book is about I'd still say the trailer was alright. It maybe should have dropped more hints about music being a special thing to these people, or why getting to the concert was important.
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
CHL
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chl.html
Latest Review: "Can I Be Frank?" by Rob Wyatt

Post by CHL »

Wow! This is my first time to watch a trailer for a novel. I thought trailers are only for movies. Great job! Trailer's good. Makes me want ot read it all the more.
Latest Review: "Can I Be Frank?" by Rob Wyatt
Yaminica75

Post by Yaminica75 »

. I would rework the trailer to make it clearer what the trip is about on a personal level, The video is a just mirror for this book. All I gathered was that three people were going on a trip to an Adele concert. That in itself didn't grab my attention enough to entice me to read the book, I'd need a little more.Unfortunately this trailer video did not give information about the book what is it going to be like, 
apulliam
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-apulliam.html

Post by apulliam »

I agree. The title alone didn't entice me. I was really pleasantly surprised after I read it, though. It is so much deeper than that concert trip.
hlc85
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hlc85.html
Latest Review: "Walking In Blind: A Collection of Poetry" by Kaviru Gayathri Samarawickrama

Post by hlc85 »

The video trailer was ultimately confusing. The visuals and dialogue did not supply enough of a context to illustrate the crux of the work. In addition to this, I feel disconnected entirely from the narrator. The trailer did not give sufficient information about who this person is and it left me wondering “who is this character” and “why does he connect to Adele?” In fact, the trailer did not allow the audience to relate to him and most importantly, it did not explain the significance of Adele. The singer was introduced to the visuals almost as an after-thought when it seems like she highly influenced the book. More clarity would be more helpful.
Latest Review: "Walking In Blind: A Collection of Poetry" by Kaviru Gayathri Samarawickrama
Allan Musila

Post by Allan Musila »

The video is not really able to capture fully on what the book entails thus making it rather vague. Nevertheless, the movie on this book would also be awesome if not so many parts will be left out. Though I've read the book which turns out to be very interesting I wouldn't mind reading it again and again!
Joshu Wafula

Post by Joshu Wafula »

I am quite sure the novel makes more sense than the trailer. i would rather prefer the synopsis to the trailer. But it seems to be a mixed novel. Definitely, this book will be on my library.
Jonimac
Currently Reading: The Holy Bible
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jonimac.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Jonimac »

How did Adele tie each one together? It didn't. The video makes you curious just because her name is mentioned in the title. The title of the book makes you want to read the book even though, other than each person liking Adele's music, she is not really involved. Don't you remember a song that makes you think of an old lover every time you hear it played? Mine is "I've Got Friends In Low Places". Need I say more.
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”