Can you stand people who HATE books?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
SoftCoyote
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: Hawksong
Currently Reading: Through the Looking Glass
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-softcoyote.html
fav_author_id: 2544

Re: Can you stand people who HATE books?

Post by SoftCoyote »

As long as they don't constantly complain about books and that I'm reading it's all good. But if they are, then yeah there's no way I'm gonna hang around them. It's not like I can force them to read(though if I could I would.
amber200419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amber200419.html

Post by amber200419 »

No I don't I once kicked someone out of my house cause they said they hated all my books and that they couldn't see why I had so many. And that they would love nothing more than to tear them up.
Debra
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debra.html

Post by Debra »

I figure to each their own. My husband LOVES board games, and I don't. I don't get them at all. But he doesn't love reading, which I don't understand. I don't get putting down other people's interests and hobbies, but it's fine with me if other people aren't interested in the things I'm interested in.
prarich
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prarich.html
Latest Review: "The Angel with Burnt Wings" by Scarlett Jensen

Post by prarich »

Yes of course I can, as long as I don't tolerate them for what they are as human beings. Every one has different interests.
Latest Review: "The Angel with Burnt Wings" by Scarlett Jensen
yalonde
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yalonde.html
Latest Review: "The Road To Comfort" by Becky Lower

Post by yalonde »

This could go two ways. A person that is very negative towards reading in general does bother me. Some to tend to look at a cover or book page number and try to make me feel, i guess uncool us the writer, for reading at all.

A person could also not enjoy books, but like the digital version. I don't mind them either. What floats their boat us ok with me.
Latest Review: "The Road To Comfort" by Becky Lower
Mowalski
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mowalski.html

Post by Mowalski »

I hate those kinds of people, too. I remember in third or fourth grade, some of my friends were giving me weird looks because I was reading The Wizard of Oz. A timeless classic, and these swines can mind their own. I hate it when book hate is portrayed on television, as well.

People assume that because a book is big and thick that it's going to be really long and boring, but if it's really good, it can actually go by quicker than you expected. They just don't give the book a chance. During school assignments, some people would purposely choose the book with the least pages, but I never looked at that. I always looked at which one appealed to me, regardless of page number.
thankyou
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thankyou.html
Latest Review: "Colin Frake, On Fire Mountain" by Nick Phoenix and Two Steps From Hell

Post by thankyou »

Most people I know don't really Hate books. They just don't have an interest for reading. And I really don't mind that since everyone has their own personal likes and dislikes.
Latest Review: "Colin Frake, On Fire Mountain" by Nick Phoenix and Two Steps From Hell
cam_gold
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cam-gold.html

Post by cam_gold »

Bighuey wrote:Hate is kind of a harsh word, Ive known people who dont like to read anything more then comic books or the sports page in a newspaper, and some people who never read anything at all. I dont think they hate books, they just dont like to read. My boys are like that, they never read anything. But thats their business, it dosent matter to me.
I agree that hate is a harsh word to use. I know when I am excited about something, I want to share it with the ones I am close to. It is difficult to understand that they just may not be interested. For example, if someone were to try and encourage me to read a Harry Potter book, I just would not be interested. It is not just about the genre, but I have some very deeply spiritual reasons for staying away from books such as those, and for those same reasons, I would not be reading the twilight books or paranormal stuff. Of course, that may make me unpopular with others since these series are rather popular.

I think that to each his own, as the saying goes. We should not take it personally. We all have our unique ways. A person may be more of a visual/graphic learner and thus tend to stick with books that are short on words but have plenty of pictures. Another may be more of an auditory/verbal learner and will prefer listening to an audio book rather than read the book itself. Others can actually be a little slow on reading. If the person mention in the parent post being Spanish is actually a native Spanish speaker, reading a long book in a second language can be a bit challenging.

So, perhaps the person does not hate books. Try to listen to what the person is saying. The person says it is too long. That could be the challenge if the book is in the person's second language.
W-Harbinger
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-w-harbinger.html
Latest Review: "Branded" by Katie Hamstead

Post by W-Harbinger »

I can stand them. I mean, my husband used to hate reading ... until I slowly assimilated him into my world. Granted, it took lots of shady prodding, like getting him to watch a movie based on a book and then telling him all the extra stuff he was missing. Needless to say, the first thing he ever read as a grown man was a Harry Potter book.
Latest Review: "Branded" by Katie Hamstead
thebookworm4ever
Favorite Author: Kelley Armstrong
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thebookworm4ever.html
fav_author_id: 3117

Post by thebookworm4ever »

I dont hate them but like you I get irritated at what they say. They often tease me for my love for books but really its no different from loving videogames which many of them love. Its like how do you know you will hate it if you dont show interest in it or think you can read it and I've tried and convinced them that reading can be fun if you find a genre that interests you but they just say that no matter what reading is boring and im weird for liking it. Hmm maybe I do hate them for that a tiny bit.
Aussie-reader

Post by Aussie-reader »

Mowalski wrote:I hate those kinds of people, too. I remember in third or fourth grade, some of my friends were giving me weird looks because I was reading The Wizard of Oz. A timeless classic, and these swines can mind their own. .
Wow, that seems a bit extreme :shock:

by you, I mean - not by the weird lookers.

I think anyone who enjoys something a bit out of the norm might get a bit of friendly weird looks or comments - if I had a big book at work people might make friendly comments to me like Haven't you got a TV?
I'd make a friendly comment back like No I'm just a natural nerd
All good fun and no one needs to get defensive or hating on anyone or calling them swines.

-- 12 Apr 2014, 08:24 --
thebookworm4ever wrote:I dont hate them but like you I get irritated at what they say. They often tease me for my love for books but really its no different from loving videogames which many of them love. Its like how do you know you will hate it if you dont show interest in it or think you can read it and I've tried and convinced them that reading can be fun if you find a genre that interests you but they just say that no matter what reading is boring and im weird for liking it. Hmm maybe I do hate them for that a tiny bit.
I think it works both ways though - if people are not interested in reading books, that is their choice - they dont need someone to convince them to find 'a genre that interests them'

If I was a non reader, I would find this quite annoying - is no different to your friends who like videogames trying to convince you to 'just find a genre (or whatever the video equivalent is called) that interests you'.

If you are not interested in video games thats your choice and they need to respect that - you need to respect their non interest in books too.

2 way street.
junogirl
Favorite Author: maeve binchy
Favorite Book: pride and predjudice
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-junogirl.html
fav_author_id: 6080

Post by junogirl »

i don't think i've ever met anyone who has said they 'hate' books. many people just don't enjoy reading and that's okay. i have a passion for reading that i can't explain but i might not enjoy something others have a passion for; it's all relative. the only people i can't stand are rude, thoughtless, self-involved jerks...i like most people and don't judge them on stuff i enjoy that they don't.
“Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book.”
― John Green, The Fault in Our Stars
damla
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damla.html
Latest Review: "Yamani" by Jeffrey Robinson

Post by damla »

Seriously???? What is it to you if someone doesnt like reading?? Whats up with the hating people who hate books.. I wouldnt think to judge anyone for their personal taste.. I hate broccoli even though I know it is good for me.. Wanna hate me too for that?
Latest Review: "Yamani" by Jeffrey Robinson
junogirl
Favorite Author: maeve binchy
Favorite Book: pride and predjudice
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-junogirl.html
fav_author_id: 6080

Post by junogirl »

amber200419 wrote:No I don't I once kicked someone out of my house cause they said they hated all my books and that they couldn't see why I had so many. And that they would love nothing more than to tear them up.
wow! well i would love to think that this is an isolated case in ignorance. that's just rude, ignorant and unnecessary...i'd probably kick them out too but not because they hate books, just because they're rude.
“Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book.”
― John Green, The Fault in Our Stars
Ayakashi
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayakashi.html

Post by Ayakashi »

My younger brother can't stand reading, because he is dyslexic, but as for people who just don't give a book a chance . . . I ignore them. I don't really know anyone like that t really hate them, but all my friends are the brainy read-a-lot types just like me. It really irritates me, but them I love to astound those types of people with the number of books I have read, so I guess that's fun. and sometimes I'll admit to judging by the cover, or at least the bit on the back, but even then I can't afford to be too picky. I like to read them all.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”