Can you stand people who HATE books?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
fari30
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fari30.html

Re: Can you stand people who HATE books?

Post by fari30 »

Most people in my class are very good readers and love to read, however, one of my close friends isn’t the biggest fan of books. I wouldn’t say that she hates them, but she doesn’t exactly like them either. So, ya. But I still don’t hate her. I have more people to talk to about books, and a couple of weeks ago, she had 9 elastic bands on her wrist, each for a book that she had put on hold at the library. That number has surely increased now, and I’m so proud of her!
My weekend is all booked!
KirstyJ1994
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirstyj1994.html

Post by KirstyJ1994 »

I don't understand how people can not like books! Obviously I know that people have different interests but reading is just so fun!
sadya
Favorite Book: Too many to name 1.
Currently Reading: Too many to name them all.

Post by sadya »

Some of my friends love something I hate. Sometimes I even strongly dislike a book one of them loves. If I can stand that, I can stand people who hate books, as long as they are decent human beings.
Lovely_Ink
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lovely-ink.html
Latest Review: "Olympian Passion" by Andrya Bailey

Post by Lovely_Ink »

I never thought about hating people that hate books. There's something out there for everybody. Just because I find reading stimulating it doesn't mean that the next person will. There are people who have never been exposed to reading or had the pleasure of being lost in a good story. I can't fault them for what they've not experienced or for what other outlet they have for getting their enjoyment.
Latest Review: "Olympian Passion" by Andrya Bailey
castor
Favorite Author: G.G. Marquez
Favorite Book: One Hundred Years of Solitude
Currently Reading: The Palace of Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-castor.html
Latest Review: "Dangerous Obsessions" by Bob Van Laerhoven
Reading Device: B002R5UYXY

Post by castor »

i don't know anybody who hate books. to be indifferent yes, but to hate books is strange. I know people that hate reading but not school. An yes i could stand them if they have a reasonable reason for hating books
Latest Review: "Dangerous Obsessions" by Bob Van Laerhoven
Inishowen_Cailin
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inishowen-cailin.html

Post by Inishowen_Cailin »

I've never met anyone who hated books. I wouldn't have much in common with a book hater but I wouldn't hold that against them either.
luluMoon1940
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lulumoon1940.html

Post by luluMoon1940 »

Why would you hate people who don't like books? Do you think a classical violinist hates people who don't listen to their kind of music? Do poets hate people who don't read poetry? Or what about a professor of maths hating everyone who dislikes his subject, and so the list goes on. I love antique furniture but lots of my friends go for the modern look - I don't hate them. Live and let live, how boring life would be if we all liked the same things. I think the idea that you would hate someone who doesn't read infers an idea of superiority. Not a good look.
Tiffywiffy1129

Post by Tiffywiffy1129 »

I think that people who hate books are people that don't want to do the time to read them. I don't think I could hate them for it.
Tianarenee3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tianarenee3.html

Post by Tianarenee3 »

Normally I'd say hobbies or Interests shouldn't define a person, but I have found that people who hate books tend to be ignorant jerks in real life. They naturally lack passion and courage so id happily say no, I cannot:).
subzerowon
Favorite Author: Tolkien_ Koontz_ect
Favorite Book: The Hobbit
Currently Reading: Black Arrow
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-subzerowon.html
Latest Review: "Gilded Feathers (book 1 in Gilded Feathers series)" by J. Woods

Post by subzerowon »

It doesn't bother me. What do I care about whether someone likes to read or not. Its not my business.
subzerowon
Latest Review: "Gilded Feathers (book 1 in Gilded Feathers series)" by J. Woods
AnaF
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anaf.html
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin

Post by AnaF »

I depends. If that person hates books but respects the fact that I like to read and colect them, then that's fine by me. But if that perosn is actually rude and makes ridiculous comments, then I just can't be around that person.
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin
npandit
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-npandit.html
Latest Review: "Travel Instincts" by James C. Jensen

Post by npandit »

I think what you're describing here is a hatred for rudeness--your friend may have hurt your feelings by dismissing a book you loved as 'boring' and 'too long', without so much as reading the back blurb.

However, lots of people don't read, or don't have the attention span to read.

So long as everyone's polite to one another, there shouldn't really be a problem with being able to tolerate a broad, undefined group of "people who hate books".
Latest Review: "Travel Instincts" by James C. Jensen
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Post by PashaRu »

Quite an absurd question, methinks. And from reading some of the comments here, I am heartened to see that the balanced, reasonable people outnumber the "other kind," at least on this subject. :|
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd
book_pig
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-pig.html

Post by book_pig »

As long as they're not judgmental towards people who like reading... People used to joke that I was a 'geek' because I read a lot, which has no relevance! I just tell myself that they act funny towards book lovers because they're jealous- whether it's true or not! :)
Bookworm0266
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookworm0266.html
Latest Review: "Other (This title is supposed to have a checkmark in front of it, but the form disallowed it.)" by Cindy Campopiano

Post by Bookworm0266 »

Sure. I think I can usually find some kind of a similarity with a person. If they don't like books or a particular topic then I'll just change the conversation to something else.
Latest Review: "Other (This title is supposed to have a checkmark in front of it, but the form disallowed it.)" by Cindy Campopiano

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”