How important is expanding your vocabulary to you?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
alex_r_101
Bookshelf Size: 0

How important is expanding your vocabulary to you?

Post by alex_r_101 »

Hey guys I'm new to the forum, and I guess what pushed me to join was a great curiosity to see how important it is for other reading folk to expand their vocabulary through reading or other methods. Personally it's really important for me, and I manage to work on it pretty consistently.

How important is it, and what methods do you use? Would you even be willing to spend money on it if it really helped you?

Thanks for your feedback everyone. :D
Va_treehugger

Post by Va_treehugger »

I think the main way I have increased my vocab is by reading. Lately I have taken to reading with a dictionary by me. It is important to me, but I know I could do more to expand it.
RuqeeD

Post by RuqeeD »

I think reading is a great way to expand your vocabulary. I can't say its one of the reasons why I read but it's definitely a great benefit of reading.

In terms of methods you could always try the Word of the day gambit, to learn and use a new word each day. Having a dictionary with you when you read is also a great way.
StephenKingman
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephenkingman.html

Post by StephenKingman »

No need, im perfect on that score :lol:
You only live once.....so live!
Jacob

Post by Jacob »

If I don't know a word, I like to search it up in the dictionary. Once I found the meaning, sometimes I like to use a thesaurus so I can use it for something like Word Association. :D

I also think it's great to expand your vocabulary, you can sound smart in front of your friends.
"Humanity is a parade of fools, and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton." - Dean Koontz
Maud Fitch
Favorite Author: Jasper Fforde
Favorite Book: The Eyre Affair
fav_author_id: 4856

Post by Maud Fitch »

With the growing acceptability of swear words in the media and entertainment industries, I am making a concerted effort to counteract it by increasing my vocabulary and learning more eloquent words. A quick four-letter curse can suit certain circumstances (I'm not an angel) but in general I think swearing is lazy. Word power works!
"Every story has three sides to it - yours, mine and the facts" Foster Meharny Russell
pa3de8
Favorite Author: Brian Keene
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: Great Train Wrecks of Eastern PA
fav_author_id: 25750

Post by pa3de8 »

I think it's very important to expand your vocabulary. I find while reading that there are many words used that I don't have any idea what they mean. I then have to stop and check the dictionary for the meaning and then pick up where I left off.
Funny thing is that I find myself using that new word I learned every chance I get until the novelty wears off...lol.

Scott B.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Maud Fitch wrote:With the growing acceptability of swear words in the media and entertainment industries, I am making a concerted effort to counteract it by increasing my vocabulary and learning more eloquent words. A quick four-letter curse can suit certain circumstances (I'm not an angel) but in general I think swearing is lazy. Word power works!
Agree Maud .... lazy and an indication of vocabulary deficit IMO, it's much more satisfying if you can just bring an eloquent put down to mind instead & it really shuts people up (if only while they try to figure out the meaning!).
It's very satisfying to come across a new word and then find an appropriate circumstance to use it.
Love the new avatar, very evocative. Would make a good title for Jasper ... 'Wrapped in a Good Book'! :lol:
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
JAJACKSON
Favorite Author: Isaac Asimov
Favorite Book: Wind in the Williows
fav_author_id: 2547

Post by JAJACKSON »

Adequate communication requires only a rudimentary vocabulary.
But to be a truly effective communicator, one requires an array of words at their disposal, or a great thesaurus. :)
The more the merrier, I say !!
Kashash

Post by Kashash »

I've taken up seriously learning new words since about a year ago when I decided that from now on I'll be writing down in my notepad every word I haven't heard of and I would write at least 20 words a day on a little memo and wherever I walk or what I do I'm constantly trying to remember of at least 3 words in my mind by taking a first letter out of these 3 words and after I master them I go onto another 3. For example you have:
-Sublimate
-Augment
-Deleterious
So that gives you SAD and if you think it as a word "sad" which is to be unhappy it's easier to remember it :)
love_aud
Favorite Author: Ray Bradbury
Favorite Book: Memoirs of a Geisha
Currently Reading: Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins
fav_author_id: 2498

Post by love_aud »

Very important. My mother is an English major, so she always had me keep a dictionary close to me as I read so I didn't have to ask her what words actually meant. :roll:
Love Audrey, future photojournalist/writer :)
Zepher07
Favorite Author: Arthur Conan Doyle
Favorite Book: Alices Adventures in Wonderland
Currently Reading: The Hound of the Baskervilles
fav_author_id: 2456

Post by Zepher07 »

I love words. I love to find new ways of expressing myself. And I love using words that express my feelings as acurate as possible. I also love word structure and word origins. So yeah expanding my vocab is important to me and reading is a fun way to do it.
Artdude

Post by Artdude »

Fran wrote:
Maud Fitch wrote:With the growing acceptability of swear words in the media and entertainment industries, I am making a concerted effort to counteract it by increasing my vocabulary and learning more eloquent words. A quick four-letter curse can suit certain circumstances (I'm not an angel) but in general I think swearing is lazy. Word power works!
Agree Maud .... lazy and an indication of vocabulary deficit IMO, it's much more satisfying if you can just bring an eloquent put down to mind instead & it really shuts people up (if only while they try to figure out the meaning!).
WOAH. Hold the horses. Are you kidding?

Swearing is extremely important - it is important to use it properly and to enjoy it, like any other turn of phrase. Why is swearing somehow base or below standard?

"Word power works!" - YES! and swear/curse words are part of that!

"F*ck you" gets a message across far more quickly, and effectively than "do you know, I have taken an extreme dislike to you, and I would much appreciate it if you accepted this dislike by listening to the following opinion: I simply loathe your ideas, and they injure me in my most basic integrity". Sorry - those who don't appreciate swearing have no idea how language works. ("F*ck you" says all of this and more, for example.)

-- Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:34 pm --

Vocabulary 'deficit' doesn't even come into it.
If you have to shut people up with long words, that is pretty cheap. As Orwell says, being clear is always the most important thing, no matter what you are trying to say. Verbal clutter, especially in insult or discussion gets no-one, nowhere.
Zepher07
Favorite Author: Arthur Conan Doyle
Favorite Book: Alices Adventures in Wonderland
Currently Reading: The Hound of the Baskervilles
fav_author_id: 2456

Post by Zepher07 »

I would never say swear words should be enjoyed although I admit I enjoy the less harsh ones. People tend to use curse words when nothing else comes to mind. The curse you mentioned is actually pretty vague and doesn't really say much at all. What it says is that you are frustrated and really angry at the person. It doesn't say why, or just how much you are frustrated with them. It is far overused and is used in so many different contexts that a specific meaning has gotten lost.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Artdude wrote:
Fran wrote:
WOAH. Hold the horses. Are you kidding?

Swearing is extremely important - it is important to use it properly and to enjoy it, like any other turn of phrase. Why is swearing somehow base or below standard?

"Word power works!" - YES! and swear/curse words are part of that!

"F*ck you" gets a message across far more quickly, and effectively than "do you know, I have taken an extreme dislike to you, and I would much appreciate it if you accepted this dislike by listening to the following opinion: I simply loathe your ideas, and they injure me in my most basic integrity". Sorry - those who don't appreciate swearing have no idea how language works. ("F*ck you" says all of this and more, for example.)

-- Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:34 pm --

Vocabulary 'deficit' doesn't even come into it.
If you have to shut people up with long words, that is pretty cheap. As Orwell says, being clear is always the most important thing, no matter what you are trying to say. Verbal clutter, especially in insult or discussion gets no-one, nowhere.
You actually make my point .... 'F*ck you' has loads of different meanings, at least in Ireland it does! However, in the context in which it is usually utilised I hold to my opinion that it is a lazy, imprecise and vulgar expression.
As a nation of writers and thinkers we have many, many people who could request that you perform a similar action on yourself with so much panache that you might actually be tempted to try. :mrgreen:
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”