How important is expanding your vocabulary to you?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
AdaJude
Bookshelf Size: 10

Re: How important is expanding your vocabulary to you?

Post by AdaJude »

Interesting discussion here. I guess modern writing in social media is lazy. In that it has been made shorter, maybe even more precise to the point. Not much space for vocabulary. I've taken upon myself to go against this trend. I consider vocabulary very important.
Lincolnshirelass
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lincolnshirelass »

I love to expand my vocabulary and to savour and experiment with new and unusual words, but having said that, I also find it too easy to fall into the trap of using a long and difficult word/expression for the sake of it.
An Eye for an Eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi
vaz222
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vaz222.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by vaz222 »

I think it's fairly important if you're striving to be a well educated individual.
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
PABS
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pabs.html
Latest Review: This Side of Paradise: the Religious World of Elijah Muhammad by Curtis J. Tilleraas

Post by PABS »

Expanding your vocabulary is very important. (I congratulate you on your goal.) We think in words. A larger vocabulary results in more precise thinking. Reading, especially reading varied genres, is an excellent way to achieve your goal.
Taekwondoqueen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taekwondoqueen.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by Taekwondoqueen »

Whenever I reach a word in a book that I do not know, then I will look it up in my dictionary. I will sometimes flip to a random page and learn all of the words on that page, just because I can.
Asisha Joseph
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asisha-joseph.html
Latest Review: Andalusian in Jerusalem by Mois benarroch

Post by Asisha Joseph »

Quite, quite important. But only through conversation and books and movies. As in, I usually hate sitting down with a dictionary and looking for words I don't know.
Pingin51
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Pingin51 »

Vocabulary building is quite important cause as the day goes by, things change, technology upgrades as well as people. So it quite impressive to find yourself in the mist of people who are up to date., It gives you a chance to learn skills, improve and so on.
Juliar252
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliar252.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by Juliar252 »

Incredibly important. I think communication is a vital skill and having multiple ways of describing something or communicating an idea is essential.
1ditzyrn
Favorite Book: Desire
Currently Reading: Daisies and Dragon Slayers In The Equator
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-1ditzyrn.html
Latest Review: Genesis (The Infinity Series, Vol.2) by Bellamy Westbay
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by 1ditzyrn »

I enjoy increasing my vocabulary and learning new words. I also like to learn the reasoning behind different figures of speech that people use. I find it interesting to see where phrases like "throw the baby out with the bath water" originated.
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

I find myself very annoyed with the way that I have been writing and speaking. Using limited and repetitive words bothers me deeply. I haven't been reading much lately and that is what has me feeling stifled when expressing myself.
zarah_
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zarah.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by zarah_ »

I think it's important especially if your job deals with writing (i.e. author, advertising, song writing). I love coming across words I haven't heard of or haven't used in a while in books. One trick I picked up at school is to look it up in the dictionary and try use it in a sentence. That method has stuck with me and is useful to date. Another way to expand your vocabulary is through crossword puzzles, which my mum does. She also likes reading books.
Alice Thokchom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thokchom-alice.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Alice Thokchom »

Yes, reading is a great way to expand our vocabulary. We come across new words which would otherwise not be found in our daily conversation.
A joke is to entertain people. If it fails to do so, it's something else!
gregs317
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by gregs317 »

I think it's fairly important. Learning new words expands your thinking ability, and can only benefit you.

Personally, I love to look up new words that I find in books that I'm reading or on TV shows. It makes me feel a little more intelligent to learn new things.
dianaterrado
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dianaterrado.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by dianaterrado »

It's very important. I like learning and expanding my vocabulary.
"We should all have something to be weirdly passionate about."
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

It is somewhat important. I do stop and look up a word while reading if I'm not sure of its meaning. And I love the Kindle feature that you can highlight the word and it gives you the meaning. Saves a lot of time.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”